It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google or Googlonymous?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
googlonymous.com...
www.scroogle.org...

do you google? or do you googlonymous? scroogle?

which do you trust and why?

I am diehard researcher in CT...

I have followed in the footsteps of the white rabbit through the all the fields... and dug with the black rabbit deep in all the dirty holes....

and a big Googler...

Although I am coming to see how that could have me on many a list already.

Before I taint the thread too heavily...

Your thoughts?

Sri Oracle

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
but these googlonymous sites could be set ups. As the type of people who want to hide what they search for online,are probably just the sort of people that the goverment want to keep their peepers on.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is news to me. I had no idea that Google did that sort of thing but.....it doesn't surprise me one bit.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I didnt even know Googlonymous existed before this thread. Interesting.

I dont believe that anything is ever really anonymous though. I think everything and anything can be tracked, stored, recovered, determined...unless Im some kind of crypto-nerd.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Disregarding the irony of the fact that I used google to find the following information, Acidtastic may have a point:

The idea behind the site is apparently to inform the public about how our surveillance culture is quickly outstripping our awareness and then to empower them to not be tracked by one of our most favorite technologies today, Google’s Search.

However, ironically, the very embedded video on that site - a copy of CNBC’s report entitled “Big Brother, Big Business” is itself streamed from the very company that the site is trying to help us circumvent.

The video is (currently) hosted at Google Video.

Enterprising engineers at Google could probably very easily, if they wanted, cross-reference your access of Googlonymous and Google Video from the same IP at the same time. It seems the motivation of not streaming the video themselves, the owners of Googlonymous have fallen victim to the lure of convenience and price that is mentioned in the CNBC report they’re publicizing.

When the price is right, we give up some of our privacy and therefore a bit of our liberty. This is not really news - the only reason it’s notable today is the irony.

“Search Google anonymously” and at the same time “stream video from Google”.

Not so anonymous.

The tools of the information age are shiny and neat - but they come with a price for all their magic.
Terrell Russell: This Old Network | Googlonymous not so Anonymous

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
magic...

the burning of one's candle...

so which is it?

which is the smoother slow burning smoke?

google?
scroogle?
googlanonymus?

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Simple.
Use firefox with noscript and a plugin that constantly sends out generated search terms---trackmenot.
If really paranoid, install the tor button and download the vidalia bundle also.

Surfing with firefox on an encrypted anon tor network, while not allowing java or other scripts to run is about the best you can hope for in the total information awareness age.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think there is two sides to this.

Side 1, it could help us see pertential killers or any thing else, although im sure that the FBI and others already have key words set in search engines. So it could prevent crime i guess. But its a long shot.

Side 2, it can be used in a court of law, but its near immpossible to prove that the site they visted, the content was some ting that they were going to do, for example i did alot of research on cancer, adhd and food chemicals, this does not mean that i have cancer or adhd or any thing like that.

I think that every oens history can be manipulated into such a way for any purpose.

So its 70% bad and 30% good in my opinion.

Fox

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Googleonymous? I seriously doubt it.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it. I doubt that it works and i figure it a scam. A source maybe as a way to maybe record the IP addresses better than google because it is probably not used as much as the normal Google, therefore allowing us to catch predators even better, with the help of false advertising
But, of course i have no idea. Wouldn't it be illegal to hide the IP addresses of those who are internet threats and internet predators? Just seems all too suspicious to me and overestimated.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It doesn't really mean anything. Google and googlonymous. They both serve the same purpose. One site is not safer to use than the other. If you want to search on google but you don't want to get caught you're better off using a proxy server than googlonymous. If you are going to trust a site with a name like googlonymous then you should take off your rose tinted glasses and you should try to see that just because a site is advertised for a certain way doesn't mean that it serves the purpose that people think that it's intended to. I think they call it googlonymous to throw people off into thinking that they're save when they use it to search the internet. I have my doubts that it's for anonymity when searching! It's more like it's for the opposite of it!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox
Simple.
Use firefox with noscript and a plugin that constantly sends out generated search terms---trackmenot.

One, it doesn't hide your searches. If the government wants to know who's been searching on "al Qaeda recruitment centers," it won't matter that you've made ten thousand other searches as well -- you'll be targeted.

www.schneier.com...

new topics

top topics

join