It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Y2K and late 90's fears vs 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the Y2K and late 1990's prophecies, but I'm aware that various channeled entities, along with a number of people such as Edgar Cayce, were telling anyone who would listen that big events were going to happen in the late 90's that even skeptical people would notice. Events such as the map of California radically changing. And such as some of our more spiritually advanced neighbors disappearing because they had entered a higher dimension.

Of course, it didn't happen.

So my question is whether there is anything different about the 2012 infatuation that lends it greater weight in comparison to the earlier phenomenon? I'm not talking about stuff that would cause the professional skeptics to jump on the 2012 bandwagon. Just anything that wasn't part of the late 90's thing.

Is the mayan calendar the main element that gives the 2012 predictions more weight than computers malfunctioning? Are the whistle-blowers featured on the Project Camelot web-site a more legitimate source than the prophets of the 90's? Could the changes happening to other planets in our solar system, and the new seed bank in Norway be a suggestion of things to come?

I know the skeptically oriented will say no, and the believers will say yes. But what is the opinion of people that occupy the territory between those two positions?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Well... As far as 2012 goes, it's interesting...

Of course, we all know the Mayan calendar ends then. The Hopi Indians tell of some significant occurrence in 2012. The I Ching ends in 2012.

And the graph showing human technological advances over about 5,000 years of human history has a line for millenia in a more or less flat line form. Somewhere in the 1800's the line begins to move upwards noticeably. Each move upwards from there is a bigger step than the previous one. If you continue to plot that line into the future, the line goes effectively infinitely upward - you guessed it - in late 2012.

I don't know if all these things are of any meaning, but it all sure seems coincidental if not synchronistic.

[EDIT: Rascally fingers, mine! Tyops!]

[edit on 3/17/2008 by Amaterasu]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Here's a list of what is to come:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I wouldn't lump Y2K into the same category as 2012. It wasn't a prophesy. It was a computer programming flaw. A verified computer bug that was caused by sloppy programming that just perpetuated itself for decades before people realized it was a problem.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Uh, do you guys know that they only recently decided that Mayan stone was a calender, and a whole lot of archaeologists still don't agree on that point? 2012 is a totally retarded New Age propaganda device. It is also a Freemasonic joke, as I think they themselves have quite a bit planned for this year, including the inauguration of the United Nations as the Supreme World Government.

You have to be careful what you go believing. So much of what is out there is total disinfo, meant to confuse, distract, and bring you into this new religion they have created.

Guard your minds.

Andre from Outlaw Forum had this to say on the subject:

It's all bull# propaganda. If some cataclysm was going to take place in 2012, the elite would know it. They have access to Coast to Coast AM the same as any of us. Clearly, as they continue with their giant building projects and plans for their bright fascist future, they are not worried about a pole shift or the world suddenly becoming enlightened because of some solar light event.

Hopefully, when 2012 comes and goes and all that happens is the UN takes over as supreme world government, and everything continues on in the exact same direction, Tsarion and the rest of these new age leeches will be exposed for what they are. Sadly, I don't see that they are going to have any problem talking their way out of it.

www.outlawjournalism.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Much of the Cayce in some contexts did happen in the late 90s. Cayce never said that the world would end at that date. If you see the stuff that did start to take place and might be willing to assume there is other stuff that you are unable to see as having taken place, and then understand how those 90s events ties into 2012, you have a better picture of what's going on.

There's a major time window of events. These events lead upto and even past the 2012 date.

There was the "great cross" Aug18 1999 that is the 4 creatures of the 4 coners of the zodiac (Bull,Lion,Egale,Manface) (Tauris,Leo,Scorpio,Aquarius). That was a starting period.

I don't know why anyone expects the "end of the world" to be as a lightswitch. It's a series of events that lead up to a wild ride. These events have already been put into place.

In the world front the big pieces of the "play" are taking the stage. Soon the antichrist will appear upon the world stage. There will still be a series of events that lead us down a path to total distruction.

The end of the world isn't the end of the planet nor the end of mankind, but it is an end to the abilities of mankind to govern the world. It's the events of 2012 that leads to the fall of the walls that keep mankind seperated.

It's been addressed as a period of 20+7 years. Several main happenings take place in one single hour, but there are more events spread over the 7 year period, and there's events that lead us to those events that happen over a 20 year period.

From my best guestimates the 20 year period is ending this year. It would seem we've also already slipped into the 7 year period. Just because something is addressed as 20+7 years doesn't have to total 27 years.

Just like the mayan calendar there are mini cycles in the larger picture of time.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
"it did'nt happen". (?).

world war 1, from what i understand, enabled that the world become smaller. At least in terms of consolidated control. Integration.

world war 2? even more so.

y2k?, from what i understand, provided much the same. Except that "it" allowed a reason to integrate the computer systems of the world. Same goal, "consolidation of control/oversight".

From what i understand, y2k "happened", just not in the way presumed.

2012?, i guess something "big" could happen. If not even by this time tomorrow,
, the Bible tells me so.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by dirtusbagious]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
2012 believers come from a pre y2k time in every sense. Im sure most long time 2012 followers saw y2k as the beginning of people starting to realize things are about to be drastically different. Including people like Edgar Cayce.

one thing that is for sure, y2k got more people accustomed to the idea so that when and if something does happen in 2012, it wont be as surprising.

There is a lot of people out there selling 2012 associated items like books and videos, but do note that 2012 is an issue that has been discussed in depth far before it was ever profited off of. The people making profits from it did not make it up.

But think about it, if you have some sort of special window into what is to come, and it is something that drastic, how else are you to get that information to a mass audience these days without selling it?

I dont think any of the people promoting 2012 are asking you to believe it, just to know its out there as an issue, so if something does go down, you will at least have a heads up and not be blindsided by it.
Trust me, a lot of the people who know its true cant even believe it, its crazy right?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dirtusbagious
y2k?, from what i understand, provided much the same. Except that "it" allowed a reason to integrate the computer systems of the world. Same goal, "consolidation of control/oversight".

Where is this information from? Y2K wasn't about computer integration, but rather computer compliance and consistency.

2012 (and previously the 90s, the 80s, the 70s, oh, you get the idea) are about prophesies of what ifs...unknown factors that people imagine, "deduce", dream about, etc. Y2K was a real issue. A real problem.

Did you loose phone service when the clocks hit 00:00? No, you didn't. Why? Because people like myself worked for YEARS cleaning up the mess that the developers of the 70s and 80s dropped the ball on. Was it a real problem? Yes, it was. You would be surprised how much of the "smart devices" installed on any computer network required ordered time stamps to work consistently. You would be surprised how many devices are now computered when... honestly, for the life of me... I can't even figure out why you would want to computerize it on the device level.

For example, a sewage pump switched into reverse when the clock hit 2000. Who cares about a problematic billing system when there is raw sewage over flowing in your area?

The reason why Y2K should not be lumped together with the rest of the prophecies is because the rest is a guess. Y2K was real. A lot of people working a lot of hours made sure that systems stayed up and running during that switchover.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon

Originally posted by dirtusbagious

Where is this information from?

do'nt recall, read so many articles, heard so many things over the years. Just picked that explaination up along the way. It's sorta stuck, as with the ww 1 & 2 scenerios, just kinda made sense to me. I spent a few years puzzled about y2k.

seems we were bombarded by "end of the world" predictions for y2k. MSM running at full steam right up to the last minute. People hording up on food, supplies. Worries of bank runs, warfare, you name it. Yet when all was said and done, it became a bit of a joke, "gullible naive people", "haha, you foolish conspirasists".
"and too", somehow in just the nick of time, the experts had saved the day.

a possible byproduct? to cry-wolf/water-down/head-off conspiracy talk of what was soon "really" to come, (look where we are now?).

Was y2k a plan to integrate global computer systems, (don't know the "tech-terms), or a way to "shame" those who buy into conspiracies, or was the day miraculously saved globally at the last possible minute by our brave overlords?

Global integration marches on. I have'nt thought about y2k for awhile.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Well, in my opinion, people's concerns were valid.

Bank runs were a concern because it was not known how the software would handle the date turn over. Some of the software I came across handled interest in a very screwed up manner. (How would you like your account to loose 100 years of interest in 1 second?)

No money, no shopping. Thus the need for food and supplies being stockpiled.

Y2K wasn't an end of the word prediction per say, but rather a crash of the global economy prediction. This isn't even going into the problems of a crashed telephone network, crashed utilities system, etc.

All of these concerns were valid if nothing was done.

A lot of problems were found in the lab and were resolved before the date took place. It wasn't done just in the nick of time. We worked for years on cleaning up this stuff before the date came. Some programs (aka clean and proper code) didn't need to be touched. Others required significant reworking.

The media sensationalized all of this making it sound like the industry was farther behind then it was.

Now, take this into account. When would a bank notice Y2K problems? When interest calculations passed 2000. A 5 year bond, heck, even a 30 year mortgage, discovered problems far ahead of 2000, and we worked on resolving them way before any deadline. The stuff that happened was minor because countries focused on the core systems (power, water, etc.) first before even looking at the minor stuff.

Racal had to recall a ton of credit card machines because they couldn't read 2000+ expiration dates on cards. ATM machines had problems. Several alarm systems and billing systems had problems. VM and e-mail systems had problems (delete the new stuff first!) The problems were there. They happened. The major stuff didn't break because they were fixed first.

I never felt anyone was foolish for thinking Y2K was a problem, simply because it could very well have been if companies didn't take it seriously.

To me personally, Y2K was an extremely lucrative time. I worked a ton of hours, and got paid very well for my time.

Luckily, I won't have to do worry about it again until 2038, but I will hopefully be retired by then.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
For me y2k was all about losing computers, the implication of this meant all kinds of possible disasters, I never thought planes would drop out of the air or anything like that, and honestly figured anything that went out of whack would be quickly repaired and all would go back to normal.
2012 is a much more ominous coming, because the Mayan's were so advanced in astronamy, time caculation, and the calendar ends in 2012 with no expectation of why, I think it is a celestial event that they caculated would take place, but one of such importance to this earth that it would change life on earth as we know it. The begining of a new time for whoever or whatever is left, a time for those who are here to begin again, begin their own system of time because the old one won't work anymore.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
That is precisely why I feel that Y2K should be considered a completely different thing then the 2012 predictions. They are two completely, unrelated things. Y2K was never about the end of the world. 2012, depending on what you believe, may be.

As such, I don't think comparing them would benefit anyone.

Now, comparing Y2k to 2038 might mean something, but that should be a different thread.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I do think there will be considerable changes with 2012, but truthfully I think the bad stuff will start occurring sometime before that date.

Fuel shortages, food shortages, economic collapse, inclement weather extremes, Wars, possibly anarchy, Earth type changes will be well on there way before 2012, basically beginning any day now.

With the human population on this planet at 6 billion people, all of the people dependent on a mechanized food industry, just the bee decline is enough to cause catastrophic changes to life as we know it.

Don't just focus on 2012, the ride has already begun!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Y'know, I didn't have the chance to get a webshot or something of the other supposed catastrophe's that were supposed to happen.

Look, what you feel on a subject doesn't make it true, nor does the age of your source make it more valid. The only difference between 2012 and the other ones are the names and cultures associated with it.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
You can say all what you want positive or negative response and thoughts in your minds I also included Because This Web Bot Project is a Part of the Prophecy in the BIBLE. (^^,) and Not only Bible but Also of other Books in different Cultures Globally (^^,)

28 In furious anger and in great wrath the LORD uprooted them from their land and thrust them into another land, as it is now."

29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

Mark 4:11-12

11He told them,
"The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you.
But to those on the outside everything is said in parables

12so that, " 'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
and ever hearing but never understanding;
otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'[a]"

Daniel 12:4, 9-10

4 But you, Daniel, close up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge."

9 He replied, "Go your way, Daniel, because the words are closed up and sealed until the time of the end. 10 Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.

They Detect Failure

[edit on 18-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Ok, I can get your post, and the Bible quotes, but what the heck is with the cartoons and the double helix? They make it hard to take your post seriously.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The Question you were asking is How really Vast and Big the Issue About Y2K
I'll let the Others Answer your Question I'm turning On the Table to Them to the Highest level of Awareness and Consciousness. Cheer-UP eventually Soon Will answer your questions THE CAUSE and EFFECT.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb1

No, pal that was somebody else. To be honest, I'm having a hard time understanding you. I just want to know what's up with the pictures.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If I Tell you all the details direct in this quote would you believe it easily? on what "I" will How's my motive about it and Why did I put that Pictures and what is the Relation on the topic on it (^^,) Not yet it is too early. We are waiting some more eventualities to come just wait and be patient a little more. The Evil Spirits is lurking too (^^,)

Cheer-up Let's be Positive and Get some more Negative IONS

Enjoy-life and Be Friendly Always Because Life is So-Short the Best HARD Part in Life is Love your Enemy as people are people.

Cheer-Up Love Above All. We Don't Want Anymore A Tower of Babylon (^^,)

2 Timothy 4

1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by johnb1]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join