It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Raining Red in Portland Oregon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I just talked to a friend of mine who lives in Gresham Oregon. Apparently last week it rained a red mist that left a powder of dust on the ground. I don't know what it was but he says it was all over the city.
His story is that the dust came down (It may have been that the dust came without rain) and then rain washed it away, but it was still a mess when he woke up to it. At this point it was a once again dust. Sounds redundant, I know.

He also states that he took a sample and has the dust and a rock sample in a plastic bag for safe keeping.

He's a bit more conspiracy headed than I am, and thinks it might be chem trail residue. I think it might be acid rain or some sort of it. I really don't have any experience to base any further information on.

Did anyone from Portland Oregon notice this?

I googled it and couldnt find any information.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Have you heard of the Red Rain in Kerala, India a few years back...google it, or Dr. Godfrey Louis for more info, but he believes that it was from a comet that exploded in the atmosphere and released red dust (which appeared to be living cells, but which has yet to be proven 100%, I believe).

Have you put the dust in water and looked under a microscope?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm down south from there but have friends up in and around portland. I havn't heard anything about this from any of them that I've spoken to in the last couple days. Weird

Maybe some of the particles from the satellite shootdown, perhaps the fallout from the unknown green ignited fuel projected from it prior to destruction?

Wonder if anywhere else this is being reported?

Or, it could have just been some paint overspray from someone down the road painting with a spray gun. Ya never know...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
As someone who lives in portland proper I can accounce that there has been no red rain or red dust where I live or where I work. In fact, it's not raining right now. Im calling for it to be a hoax. Ive lived in portland for 11 years and have never seen red dust or a red rain not even red rocks (aren't those in Colorado
. ive seen a red moon, but that's about it. If it really happened i hope he got some pictures of it. If he was able to get some to the lab then remind him to keep some for evidence that it did happen.

My .023

Tela

edited for grammar, and spelling and to make the post make better sense

[edit on 3/17/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

Here's a few links to the phenomena Keeb333 was talking about. Pretty cool pictures of what looks like actual cellular life. Ive also added a link to a site that gives another possible explanation other than the ET origin of the spores, to show info from both sides of the argument.

Red Rain1

Red Rain2

Red Rain3 debunk

Red Rain4

[edit on 17-3-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the link QBSneak, seems to explain this nicely.

Just fungus spores in the air, also known to color the rain 'yellow and black'. That would be weird to see
black rain.

I'm glad this wasn't a chemical affair...

This kind of reminds me of the time in California after the massive earthquakes, people witnessed a red dust rising up around the hills. They explained that fungal spores in the forests had been shaken into the air as if the ground were shaken like a dusty blanket! Definitely dangerous to breathe that kind of air...

[edit on 17-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
we had red rain in the late 70's (uk)

it was down to winds that came from the sahara!

always a logical explanation!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333
Have you heard of the Red Rain in Kerala, India a few years back...google it, or Dr. Godfrey Louis for more info, but he believes that it was from a comet that exploded in the atmosphere and released red dust (which appeared to be living cells, but which has yet to be proven 100%, I believe).

Have you put the dust in water and looked under a microscope?

They have actually confirmed that the colouring was from algal spores. Apparently recent heavy rains gave bloom to lichens which released spores into the atmosphere. There was no indication of how the spores got into the clouds but I would suggest that a tornado or water spout would be to blame

Just checked...its on wikpedia here

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 17/3/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telafree
As someone who lives in portland proper I can accounce that there has been no red rain or red dust where I live or where I work. In fact, it's not raining right now. Im calling for it to be a hoax. Ive lived in portland for 11 years and have never seen red dust or a red rain not even red rocks (aren't those in Colorado
. ive seen a red moon, but that's about it. If it really happened i hope he got some pictures of it. If he was able to get some to the lab then remind him to keep some for evidence that it did happen.

My .023

Tela

Hoax? How the hell am I perpetuating a hoax? A friend of mine in Portland said it rained a red dust where he lived, and was asking if anyone had seen anything who might live in Portland as well to substantiate his claim and get another witness. I even offered a logical solution. You've been here to long, Tela. Not everyones out to "yuck on the kooks" with fake UFO pictures.

Like I said, its probably a logical solution, but he and I both would like to know what it is.
He does have a sample and is going to take pictures of it today on my asking. he said its at least in the Gresham area where he lives.
I'm not sure where he can send the sample for inspection. Anyone know?
Preferably one thats cheap.

If he sends me anything I'll post it immediately.

Edit: just got off the phone with him, I asked him to post here, but dont count on it. Hes not the posting type. I told him that one person from Portland posted and said theres been no red rain where he is, and he said "well it was at least in Gresham". He and his roomate saw it for sure, and hes going to get an accounting og neighbors.

Tela I would ask you to do the same if you have the chance. Go to Gresham and ask around.

I assure you, I am not out to start/create a hoax. Probably does no good to do that, but I just would like some answers. Cool?

Edit v 2.0: Fixed my [Expletive deleted] quote tag.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by kthulu]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thanks Oz. Glad to see you!

To be honest, I'm not sure if he said it was a rain that brought it, or if he saw it after a rain. I will ask him to be sure when we next talk, probably early this evening. He's been a friend of mine for along time,and is pretty well grounded, and he's pretty calm and cool about it.
It was the fact that he went outside and took a sample that was surprising to me. It must have been conspicious.

People, again I want to assure you this is nothing to get "I call fakery!" on.
Red dust, in Portland. Thats it. Just wondering what it is.
No "OMG Mars exploded!!!11one!!!.

Tela if I may ask, where abouts in Portland do you live? I used to live there before my move to Texas.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
wow, thanks for all the information guys. I'll keep an eye out for this 'red rain' here in portland and if it happens again, I'm all over it!!!

Those links to the red rain and the debunking information was greatly appreciated as I had never heard of the red rain before and how its either estraterrestrial or mold spores. Seems like a great debate for someone to undertake.

Tela

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthulu
Tela if I may ask, where abouts in Portland do you live? I used to live there before my move to Texas.

I live in the S.E. part of portland. Iim one of those hippie types and we (my husband and I) fit right into SE portland. 39th and powell are the main strreets that you might know if you know SE. Where did you used to live?

Tela

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
Thanks for the link QBSneak, seems to explain this nicely.

Just fungus spores in the air, also known to color the rain 'yellow and black'. That would be weird to see
black rain.

I'm glad this wasn't a chemical affair...

This kind of reminds me of the time in California after the massive earthquakes, people witnessed a red dust rising up around the hills. They explained that fungal spores in the forests had been shaken into the air as if the ground were shaken like a dusty blanket! Definitely dangerous to breathe that kind of air...

[edit on 17-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

I agree with you about the Earthquakes. I know back in 1980, when St Helens blew, everything in Portland was covered in a few inches of grey ash.
I was thinking it was that sort of scenario we might be dealing with, but thought, If its going to blow grey ash then, its going to blow grey ash now. not red. I'm not a geologist, so I"m not sure but that was my logical thinking about it.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
like i said people can be so alarmist!

natural phenomenon,

simple!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm about 4 hours north of Portland and the rain is clear and wet here.

Well I can't say I've ever seen red rain, but I have seen red snow.

I was working up in the mountains at a ski resort & woke up one morning to red snow coming down. It left a a few inches of red snow (more orange than red maybe) with the color density varying in different layers.

At first I was freaked out a bit and almost didn't want to touch the stuff fearing there was some kind of chemical spill. To get to work I would put on my skis outside my front door & then skate a mile or so to get to the lift. As I did that everyday I noticed my skis didn't slide very well on the red snow.

Everyone around acted as if it was just a normal day, so I figured it must be something that they were familiar with in that area - otherwise they'd be hiding inside. When I finally got to work I found out that the red in the snow was caused by sand storm that had happened in the desert a week or so prior.

Apparently some of the particles were small enough to remain in the clouds and they combined with the snow that fell in that area and so nothing dangerous or nefarious just dirty snow.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telafree

I live in the S.E. part of portland. Iim one of those hippie types and we (my husband and I) fit right into SE portland. 39th and powell are the main strreets that you might know if you know SE. Where did you used to live?

Tela

You said Portland, fair enough to assume you are hippies.

I assume your near fareless square? I know that pretty well, as well as Pioneer square too. Me and the wifey might be moving back there soon. I miss it. Except that red rain.

I used to live in Tigard, off of NW pacific Coast Highway. I think thats what it was. 99 anyway.
I lived in a few places in Portland before I moved North to Vancouver.

Edit: I mispelled Tigard, Tigar. Raar, a Tigar....

[edit on 17-3-2008 by kthulu]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Hoax? How the hell am I perpetuating a hoax? A friend of mine in Portland said it rained a red dust where he lived, and was asking if anyone had seen anything who might live in Portland as well to substantiate his claim and get another witness. I even offered a logical solution. You've been here to long, Tela. Not everyones out to "yuck on the kooks" with fake UFO pictures.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or get you upset. That was not my intention. My intentions were to say what I said, which really should have been. "DAMN, RED RAIN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? Near me?!?! That sounds like the world is ending to me so I HOPE it's a hoax"

Like I said, its probably a logical solution, but he and I both would like to know what it is.

I'd like to know too!!

Tela I would ask you to do the same if you have the chance. Go to Gresham and ask around.

Gresham is pretty close to me, but I just don't have time to interview peeps from over there. I imagine your neighbor asking his neighbors will be enough. Though I will mention it to mine when i see them.

I assure you, I am not out to start/create a hoax. Probably does no good to do that, but I just would like some answers. Cool?

Cool with me. Again, I did not mean for my statement to be inflammatory or mean or bad, I just wondered if it was a hoax. I didn't know that word brings out such strong feelings. Ill be careful when I use it next time.

Tela

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
No problem Tela. I know how it is, Ive been here a little while too, and Ive seen my share of bad UFO photos, or what have you.
And it didnt upset me, just made me roll my eyes and say "oh here we go..."
Probably doesnt translate with text.
Dont sweat it, lifes too short to sweat the small stuff.
Now if you dont mind, I have these Pot lids...err..UFO Pictures Id like to show you...

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well I talked to my friend on the phone. I asked for pics, though I'm not sure what we might get out of them but i asked for them. I also shared your thoughts with him as well. Honestly I imagine procrastination will play a part here and considering what I told him about our findings based on the information given, i doubt it will go much further and i dont feel like bugging him for pics everytime I talk to him.
I guess its case closed, and I thik we have enough information to draw our own conclusions.
Rats, I was hoping for Mars exploding too.

new topics

top topics

join