It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall Street fears for next Great Depression

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I honestly hope you're right, but I think I'll still keep stocking up the shelves for harder times. If I'm wrong I've lost nothing but some sleep and money I'd have probably wasted on Big Macs and pizzas.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Why let paranoia get the best of you?
A depression is just a recession, don't let people fool you into thinking its a different term.

There is no signs of a catastrophic event about to happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
(one-liner) tell that to a guy living in a tent city.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KMFNWO
(one-liner) tell that to a guy living in a tent city.

Still, that is no sign of a economic depression.

That was caused by a collapse of the housing market, which lead to the market being depressed not the economy.

Within the next two months, a recession will be declared for the US economy.

But there is nothing to suggest we will be seeing a depression in about a year or two.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by infinite]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oil plummets on economy worries

By JOHN WILEN, AP Business Writer 2 hours, 10 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Oil prices fell sharply Monday, pulling back at least temporarily from record levels as investors feared that the financial crisis that forced the sale of Bear Stearns Cos. is a sign of deep economic troubles.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Ao_GutPcC2Ak_PC.laaYxRWs0NUE

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KMFNWO

And?

We want oil to fall. I don't know about you, but I don't want to experience stagflation.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Fed takes bold steps to ease crisis

By JEANNINE AVERSA, AP Economics Writer
Mon Mar 17, 8:57 AM ET

(from article)

"It seems as if Bernanke & Co. are pulling out all the stops to avoid a serious financial market meltdown," Richard Yamarone, an economist at Argus Research, said Sunday evening.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AgmID9DpbPbtIa1bVJiQmixvzwcF

Their words not mine.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KMFNWO

Yeah, but that is nothing to show an economic depression is coming. Understand economic terms before jumping to conclusions

As another member highlighted, the Fed fears America could end up like the economic problems in Japan where interest rates are .25% with a deflated economy.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is just what they have been planing for quite some time.
When everything falls into place. We will have no choice but turn to the North American Union!
I think mister Old school says it best tho.
But for me, I will just post my thoughts here, and say its all leading to the NAU! They have had this in the works for a long time.
And what better way to push the NAU, than to have America fall apart, and then given a new breath of life in a matter of months.
Scary folks. Hold on to your jobs if you have one..

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't buy that the sky is not falling... I think we are screwed. I have about a 2 month food supply on 1400 calories a day for a family of four and that is cutting it thin. I actually did the inventory spreadsheet if you can believe it… I can stretch that further if I got out of the city and supplemented my food store with farming and wild game. I need more Ammo! I think I need to liquidate my PS3 I got for Christmas and invest in ammo and propane. I could probably turn that into 2000 rounds and 10 bottles of propane for my small stove...

I paid off my Jeep Liberty just this last year so I own that outright and I have family up north here in Michigan. They have a small farm so I could work that with them. They told me I had to bring supplies with me if I did come so that's why I started stocking up.

The wife thinks I am crazy but my 21 year old daughter is actually helping me stock up.

Then again maybe it will last a bit longer and I will have more time to stock up! I still have my job so at least the boss isn't heading for the hills yet!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
LOL wait a second, let me understand some of the demeanor here, and anyone correct me if I seem to be out of line:

-- The Elite, they push us to war, in Iraq!, In Iran!, In Afghanistan! all this blood for oil, blood for oil!

-- So they (The Elite, the conspirators of the NAU, the NWO, the World Order Governing Body Du Jour) can have little or no value WHATEVER by

-- Sabotaging the US Economy?

Im curious why would "they" do that?

AB1

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

I would think that would come down to "problem reaction solution".

The wars are funding the money machine to build the NAU. WE are putting our foot hold on the middle east to put the final union in place.
We dont have control over that area "yet".

So why would they? They would do it to make sure their plans dont fail.
the North American Union just might be in place by 2012. And I belive thats what all the 2012 stuff is about.. Not the end of the world. But the end of a great nation. America will end. And the unions will unite us under a one world government. Where the rule of law, not the jungle. Governs the conduct of nations.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If "they" have been planning it for a while, why not bring it about during the 1990 finanical crisis or during the last recession after 9/11?

Just adding some logically thoughts to this thread 'cause many are over reacting.

Btw, if you go out and stock up on food, this will happen. You cause food prices to inflate due to panic buying, that will end up trigging another economic problem. Which isn't wise.

Secondly, understand the term economic cycle. What goes up must come down. Simple logic. You cannot have continuous growth, it has to stop at some point.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I just thought of a great Idea to stop this economic collapse. Ron Paul for president!!! haha. Seriously though - if our money was backed up with gold or silver i doubt a lot of this would be happening.

It's interesting now in retrospect how just last year they raided the company that created the Ron Paul dollars which was trying to create an alternative currency that was based on silver and gold. Those things would have really started taking off right around now and i bet a lot more retail venues would be starting to accept them.

Funny how the Feds shut that down right before the dollar started to plummet!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The full impact of this economic collapse is supposed to occur in September, the elections are not until November, I don't think even Mr Paul can work that fast

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My advice would be to visit your local library and loan out numerous books on economics and stop believing the scaremongering theories by some elements of the conspiracy community. I'm not being rude, but people need to be educated when it comes to economics. (I do economics as apart of my degree.)

Economic collapse takes about a decade or more. It is a serve depression. The US economy is not even near a depression, just a recession at the moment. No collapse will occur by September.

A stock market crash can happen over night, an economic collapse cannot. It is near impossible. The earliest possible date for a collapse, if the recession falls into a depression, would be about 2014-15.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If these next two banks go belly up, there is no doubt that we are in a recession and a depression is a likely scenario.

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. (Public, NYSE:LEH) is already down 37% in pre-market trading. Now that Bear Stearns (BSC) is dead, the next target is LEH, maybe Washington Mutual (WM) will go third.

Recessions are usually 6-16 months. Depressions can be from 3-10 years. If two more bailouts as listed above, the dominos will start falling all over the world and you will see a chain reaction as mortages will virtually vanish and corporations will cut back drastically. This will fuel inflation, crime and further erosion of the US soverniety.

China will also suffer dramatically. They can barely hold on as it is and a big cut in imports would hit them hard.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eagledriver

Finally, someone who is thinking realistically and applying common sense. There is really no need to add anything further, you are correct with your reference on a depression time frame.

However, the US will avoid a depression. Sovereign wealth funds will start to flood Western markets soon.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
[edit on 17-3-2008 by DwnitsDwn]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
We'll know i guess by the end of the year what all that education and theory is worth, I sure hope your right, but I do know that no matter how this depression we are currently in may be downplayed by terminologies, it is indeed a depression, and not even a recession anymore. Grab you a dictionary and show me how I'm wrong, and I'll grab a neighbor and show you I'm right

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join