It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music Mysteries

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
So, here's something I vaguely remember from my music teacher at secondary school, about 15 years ago; please correct me if I'm wrong...

Apparently the idea behind 120bpm music is that it's round about the same as the human heart rate during light exercise, so this tempo makes us feel a little exhilerated.

I think that music does certainly have healing power, if for nothing other than the escape of day to day reality. Hell what else can you spend £5 on that'll still give you an emotional response weeks/months/years later?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Skyfloating,
Here is the post that I was referring to. It is on the first page of the thread.

Posted by sizzle, on March 14, 2008 at 00:29 GMT

If you don't already own a frequency generator, you can get a free software download from NCH called the NCH Tone Generator. I'll be uploading another article soon which will explain the different types of frequency generators available and how to use them.

As synchronicity would have it, I was talking with a very helpful woman yesterday who I'll identify as "DRE". She put me onto a healing Shinto chant from Japan that was producing remarkable results for her. Using specific vocal sounds, uttered in a specific order, is another way to access the creative power inherent in sound. You can find her e-mail to me about the Shinto chant at the bottom of this article.

You should notice that as the Dark Side attempts to draw in their net and consolidate their New Order agenda, the Light Side counters with more and more "new stuff" to help you meet the challenge. This is one of the biggest reasons you should avoid wasting your time with people who peddle Doom & Gloom scenarios or attitudes of defeatism. The Law of Attraction is always at work, as the recent video "The Secret" makes clear. You attract to yourself, the same energy which you put out. Think negative, you get negative. Think positive, you get positive-and bounty.
educate-yourself.org...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Music being a cornerstone of my life, I can't understand how could have I overlooked this thread until now...

Anyway, I see that most of the questions have been answered (and no, I don't believe in "subliminal" messages of the kind that you mentioned either).

I can tell you that, judging by my own reactions, music definitely has a HUGE impact on psychology AND physiology. And despite the claims - which may be accurate, for all I know - in another thread that plants thrive with heavy metal music, that's just not my experience (I mean, it's not MY plants' experience
).
An acquaintance of mine - a professional singer - had to MOVE (relocate) because a neighbour kept playing a certain type of music with very low bass vibrations that actually affected his (my acquaintance's) heartbeat. It was no self-suggestion: it really happened: it was a perfectly measurable effect (arrhythmia); and it wasn't because he wouldn't "like" the music in question - it's just that his organism couldn't stand the low and profound vibrations.

And there is anecdotal - but ample - evidence that the reason why sopranos generate more "fan(atic)s" than other singers is their high-pitched voice which - like the violin (traditionally used for "emotional" effects) - actually provokes a sort of hysteria in the listener.
(Strange, but true.
)

As to the beneficial effect of Baroque music, for example - generically and all too populistically labeled as "Mozart"
- on the learning ability in people (e.g. in a classroom setting), most of the researchers seem to agree that it's because of its 60 beats / minute beat, replicating "normal" heartbeat. (The calming effect of such music on babies - and on most adults, too - would seem to be the consequence of prenatal memory which the heartbeat-like rhythm replicates. Which is why, BTW, most babies instantly stop crying or fussing when their head is placed directly on the chest of the adult holding them: the sound/vibration of the heartbeat calms them - unless they had a traumatic prenatal life, of course...)

Interesting thread.
Sorry to have noticed it so late...

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
Anyway, I see that most of the questions have been answered (and no, I don't believe in "subliminal" messages of the kind that you mentioned either).

Neither do I believe that subliminals work...for the good or bad.

An acquaintance of mine - a professional singer - had to MOVE (relocate) because a neighbour kept playing a certain type of music with very low bass vibrations that actually affected his (my acquaintance's) heartbeat. It was no self-suggestion: it really happened: it was a perfectly measurable effect (arrhythmia); and it wasn't because he wouldn't "like" the music in question - it's just that his organism couldn't stand the low and profound vibrations.

And there is anecdotal - but ample - evidence that the reason why sopranos generate more "fan(atic)s" than other singers is their high-pitched voice which - like the violin (traditionally used for "emotional" effects) - actually provokes a sort of hysteria in the listener.
(Strange, but true.
)

Pretty educational there. High-pitched sounds do evoke a kind of euphoria, dont they? Ive noticed it but Ive never really seen it put into words.

As to the beneficial effect of Baroque music, for example - generically and all too populistically labeled as "Mozart"
- on the learning ability in people (e.g. in a classroom setting), most of the researchers seem to agree that it's because of its 60 beats / minute beat, replicating "normal" heartbeat. (The calming effect of such music on babies - and on most adults, too - would seem to be the consequence of prenatal memory which the heartbeat-like rhythm replicates. Which is why, BTW, most babies instantly stop crying or fussing when their head is placed directly on the chest of the adult holding them: the sound/vibration of the heartbeat calms them - unless they had a traumatic prenatal life, of course...)

This is amazing, since I get a kick out of producing music at 60 BPM.
So 120 BPM is slight exhiliration and 60 BPM relaxation. And 20 BPM maybe near-death.

Thanks for the info.

Thinking of near-death: Ive had a few awesome "states" experimenting with Delta-wave-entrainment (below alpha and theta).

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

Havent really noticed that thread yet. On the topic of music Im not as good as on the other topic you mention.
I´ll check it out when I have some spare minutes.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 911fnord

are modern day hippy concerts just new massive shamanic orgies??

Yes I think they are. In both rock music and shamanism you experience a form of trance state produced mainly by rhythm( the drum is a universal shamanic tool,other instruments are not).

The main difference being that a Shamanic ceremony is done with INTENTION. All the participants in a shamanic ceremony have the same intention -such as to journey to the other world and meet with the Power Animals ,Ancestors or other beings,or to carry out healing.

Although a rock concert is very similar in many ways to a shamanic ceremony and may give rise to ecstatic states of conciousness this common and clear intention is not present,and so the results may be haphazard and indefinite.

They can still be jolly good fun though!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
As a small adendum, try listening to some of your favourite albums on headphones, with your vice of choice (beer and cigarettes for me) for a totally immersive experience... "Doremi Fasol Latido" by Hawkwind is totally mind-blowing, as can be records by Tool, Greatful Dead, Pink Flod, Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails etc. There's so much more scope as to detail and whole vistas of "imagery" can become apparent.

Anecdotely Hawkwind (in their time) were keen on expanding the boundaries of the pyshical music esperience, Lemmy quoted as saying "We were evil b*stards, we just wanted to destroy our audience", they were experimenting with extreme volume and bass levels, which would often overcome spectators.

I'm gonna try to steer away from the horrors of corporate rock/pop that seems nothing more than a commodity to sell to people that can't stand the roaring-silence in their heads when there is no noise/sound/music etc - but, would rather focus or draw attention to the really excitng stuff out there. There are so many bands around the fringes, really creating evocative emo(tional(sic)) music - yet, it always seems the bands/artists on the periphery are those that are more exciting and those that really push the boundaries for future generations - perhaps parallels can be drawn with cinema, literature etc. It would also seem that music can be a tool for learning and mind expansion - I would never (personally) have gotten into jazz in it's more abstract forms if it weren't for more accessible works that expunded the virtues of free from or avante garde jazz. You couldn't, say, read Chomsky (!), without first having learnt to read, perhaps starting with the Lion, the With & the Wardrobe as a child, it's just a stepping stone. Some people will always seek to push their boundaries of learning, but you need to make the first steps withsimpler, more manageable/digestible material - incidentally, I've found the more I study music theory, the more apt at math I become.

So saying, however, there is a lot to be said for a well-crafted pop song, some things, such as Elvis or Abba seem to transcend time - "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys, if it had never existed - if it came out tomorrow, it would be one of the most exciting releases in ages and give current contenders a run for their money.

Music, I think, is often underatted for it's ability to heal and draw common-bonds in people. (...as an Englishman) I can meet a European, American, etc and still share a common bond in something like Radiohead, Slayer, Iron Maiden etc, it's what's great about humans - there's something inside us that can't help being touched to the core by music - even Tony Blair (curse his rotten soul) likes music.

...as a brief addendum, it might be interesting to note that music has been a force for social change, subversion and terrorism - note the U.S. military using Metallica for sleep deprivation whilst trying to oust forces from Saddams palace during the first gulf-war distraction; now if only they'd played Britney, it would've been over in 5 minutes. It's late, potentially I'm rambling but, as another example it's worth checking out Fugazi, certainly as a force for social change; I also distinctly remember, as a child watching the Secret Policemans Ball and hearing the song "Sing if you're glad to be gay", not really understanding what gay was as a 9 year old, but the conviction of the guy still rings down the years for me. Hell, even the hokey "Free Nelson Mandella" brought a lot of attention to some very important events in the 80's.

...and here's to the great "One nation under a groove", by the good Clinton.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by jokei]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxpageant

Be advised to listen to music that is harmonic and oriented to an upward pulling major key.

Could you please qualify your statement?

Thank you.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by crestone]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Excellent post. Its true that some forms of music can only be digested if you´ve gotten used to similar but softer stuff first.

I think a really open mind is able to enjoy ALL types of music (well, almost all).

I cant think of many things better than lying down with headphones on...the imagery and emotion rushes through you.

To the other poster above: Nice point about rock concerts being the same thing as shamanic ritual, except for the INTENT.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Regarding A=440 Hz. It was the French government that decided on that frequency.

J.S. Bach's organ was set to a much higher pitch (A=480). When you play his music today, the notation and sound don't match. In other words: it's in the wrong key!

en.wikipedia.org...(music)

Creation is God's symphony. Who doesn't know that?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
hi i dont know if this will help you ,but do a yahoo search for a dr.royal raymond rife,he did experiments with frequencies to see how they could help with human health and such maybe youll get some insight.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by blasphemusbudda
hi i dont know if this will help you ,but do a yahoo search for a dr.royal raymond rife,he did experiments with frequencies to see how they could help with human health and such maybe youll get some insight.

Yes and the story goes that the guv killed him, his colleagues, destroyed his research and his equipment.
They did not want him being able to heal people with sound or light frequencies. The big drug pharma would lose too much money.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by sizzle]

[edit on 17-3-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think Brian Wilson was definitely heading in that direction with the music he was attempting in the mid sixties. Do some have the ability to channel thoughts or feelings and then communicate this to the listener, using a combination of chord structure, harmony, pitch and frequency. We may never interpret what the words mean but we can feel it!!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

[
3. I once read on ATS about the standard 44Hz being a disadvantageous frequency, but never quite understood why. Who knows more?
]

I think you mean 440Hz, which is considered the "modern" concert standard. If so, it is disadvantageous because of where the human voice falls. The normal Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass (or Baritone) end up on flats/sharps using this standard frequency. This is why so much music written for SATB type choirs are in Flat keys e.g. Bb etc. I read a treatise once on how shifting the standard to something like 436 Hz solves the problem. Not real sure of the frequency, so don't throw darts folks!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Something else that should be considered is the effects of "two-tone chanting" or as it's better know "Tuvan singing". If we are sound, then I would think that this would be an good way to "cleanse" the body. That and it just sounds really cool

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but what you're looking for is the chladni plates, they're also called cymatics - watch them on youtube - it will knock your socks off. Different notes indeed to form different patterns, they cause the plate to vibrate in certain areas, and not at all in others - but very very geometrically.

Binaural beats like theta, alpha beta etc are created by playing alternating binaural (both ears) beats. Because we are unable to audibly hear the frequencies needed for these states and other higher frequency states they discovered that if they play a tone in one ear, and another in the other ear - at the correct level of differening frequencies, the brain will try and match the two together - the tone it then hears is the tone we are unable to actually hear audibly. It sounds like a wave - this is the brain connecting to two frequencies to make a new one. It's very clever, and very effective - two programs exist for this, that I know of - one is called Brainwave Generator, the other is called iDose and is more for simulating drug states of differning levels.

Remember that the brain, like a computer - works with electrical frequencies - therefore, raising your frequencies is like overclocking a cpu in your machine, but not exactly like that - the brain is designed very robust, very robust indeed.

I hope this little bit of info helps ?

Chat soon
Jay

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by crestone
Regarding A=440 Hz. It was the French government that decided on that frequency.

J.S. Bach's organ was set to a much higher pitch (A=480). When you play his music today, the notation and sound don't match. In other words: it's in the wrong key!

Is there any way you could help me understand why this is significant?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyanther
Something else that should be considered is the effects of "two-tone chanting" or as it's better know "Tuvan singing". If we are sound, then I would think that this would be an good way to "cleanse" the body. That and it just sounds really cool

www.youtube.com...

Not to mention that it feels good. Long time ago I attended a course on overtone-singing and it made me feel really elevated.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine

I hope this little bit of info helps ?

Yes, very much...I was looking for data on how music forms geometry.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
For those of you who would like to study how the seven types of musical scales known in Gregorian chant as the Church musical modes are related to sacred geometry, may I direct you to Articles 11, 12, 14, 26, 33, 37, 38 & 42 (downloadable as PDF files) at:
smphillips.8m.com...
In order to understand correctly (that is, from first principles) why human beings are affected by different kinds of music, one has to first realise by actual discovery (not just by belief) that both are manifestations of a universal blueprint that is revealed in true sacred geometry. Its mathematical structure is prescribed by the gematraic values of the divine archetypes called the 'Divine Names.' For example, the number of notes between the tonic and octaves of the seven musical scales that belong to the Pythagorean musical scale is 26, which is the gematraic number value of the Divine Name YAHWEH. Music is patterned according to the nature of God. In order to understand how, it is first necessary to understand the mathematical nature of God. The articles and others listed at the above link will reveal this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join