It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Only Saddam Hussein Could Run Iraq' says aide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

'Only Saddam Hussein Could Run Iraq' says aide

www.telegraph.co.uk

He had worked for Dr Allawi's Iraq National Accord, which in the mid-1990s was based in the Kurdish enclave in northern Iraq.

Before his arrest, Mr Saber was instrumental in orchestrating a failed coup within the senior military ranks in 1996.

"I never thought I would say it given that he sentenced me to death," he said. "But I find myself wishing Saddam was still here. Only he had the knack of running this god-forsaken country."

Despite the failure of the putative putsch, Dr Allawi, a secular Shi'ite Muslim from a prominent Baghdad merchant family, emerged as a close ally of Western intelligence agencies, including MI6 and the CIA.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This will be sure to tick quite a few folks off, for sure. But-Here's a guy who was actually put on death row by Saddam prior to the Invasion, and who served as an aid to the U.S. in post-invasional relations, citing how bad the state of affairs has gotten SINCE Saddam was overthrown in terms of order and chaos. The interim gov put into place by our own seems to be an increbile mess. There is no structure or stability whatsoever. Saddam was a P.O.S. madman, but he at least kept the country in order as opposed to the total anarchy that seems to be prevelant now. It's a mess that is going to be very difficult, if even possible, to fix IMO.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
DD, great information from you, as usual. Thanks.

I saw this AI news today which also echoes what you have said...

Amnesty Int'l: Iraq Most Dangerous Country

Five years after the US-led invasion of Iraq, Amnesty International has described the country as the most dangerous place in the world.

"Five years after the US-led invasion … Iraq is one of the most dangerous countries in the world," it said Sunday in a 24-page report, entitled "Carnage and Despair. Iraq Five Years On".

Despite a 'surge' in the number of US forces in the country, law and order and economic recovery were a 'distant prospect' while most Iraqis were living in poverty, with food shortages, lack of access to safe drinking water and high unemployment.

More than four in 10 Iraqis lived on less than one US dollar a day -- the UN standard for measuring poverty -- while the health and education systems were at near collapse and women and girls at risk of violence from extremists.

"Saddam Hussein's administration was a byword for human rights abuse," said Amnesty's director for Middle East and North Africa, Malcolm Smart. "But its replacement has brought no respite at all for its people."

Follow the link for the full article.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Maybe so. sounds sane.

So does ..Only Charles Manson, could do "Helter Skelter", source en.wikipedia.org...

just saying, theres all kinds of nut-jobs and ass-clowns out there..and I'm glad we can take down a few.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Looks like we are helping to take down more than a few then...

Amnesty pointed to the detention of about 60,000 people by the US and Iraqi forces, most of them without charge, saying torture and ill-treatment of prisoners and miscarriages of justice were 'routine'.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

hey dude,

I've been in some scary countries (really have) and while in the Navy, I was backed up all the way!!

At Almost the same time, my brother was on the ground (wounded twice while in) and was backed up by the USA all the way!!

Sure, # happens..but I know (and so does my bro) the USA really does care.

With-out giving too much ( and making a movie) I myself, thinking I was alone , ran a gauntlet of impossibilities...thinking I was gonna die...

but the "watchers" were watchen...and damn!!@@@@@ !!!! If I'm not here typing this 34 years later!!!

that was durning the "Yom Kippur War", off of the USS Oriskany, my ship, my home.

now The -USS Oriskany- is a reef- I'm a 55 year old vet from VA-215 "the Barn Owls" low flying do as you must, and come home.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by RUFFREADY]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Not to take sides here, but ...

It wouldn't surprise me to see Saddam-nostalgia, for someone who kept peace, law, and order with an iron hand. Just as there is plenty of Tito-nostalgia for much the same reason.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Agreed, Saddam was doing a good job over there. he was taken out because he was being difficult with us. He was a good guy who knew how to run that country.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

His two sons were "taken out" with lots of bullets (rounds) ..their old man was hung, by the neck until dead , by the Iraq court.

Justice served.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It's not just Saddam nostalgia.

During WW1 Modern Iraq was part of the Turkish Ottoman Empire which fought with Germany.

Following the treaty of Versailles the Turkish territories were broken up and the map of the middle east was redrawn.

US President Woodrow Wilson was actually responsible for drawing up the map of Iraq and trying to join Suni with Shia and then tacking on the Kurdish North.

It just never was going to work except on paper.

Now US forces in Iraq are trying to make the unworkable work. Bush cannot afford to let Iraq break up along nationalist ethnic lines because then he would lose the UN mandate.

Ironically the UN mandate is a hand me down from Woodrow Wilson and the League of Nations.

The strife will end when people accept the reality that Iraq is actually three nations joined at the hip.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
IMO the desire for the return Saddam reflects on how bad things were and still are in Iraq. That and Iraqis have national pride just like anyone else no one would want to see there country is such a state. Also I think the French and the British drew up Iraq's borders not Wilson. The US never joined the League of Nations.

Iraq was the creation of post WW1 back stabbing which lead to political rather then tribal boundaries . This meant that Iraq never really existed as country instead Saddam was the glue that kept the lid on the differnt ethnic groups . This of course never occurred to those who dreamed up the Iraq war which just shows how they are idealogical driven rather then having a firm grounding on plant reality.

It is clear that Federalism and Iraq wont mix all the success when it comes to the surge came at the regional. Federalism in Iraq can only lead to another Saddam type figure rising to power. Iraq should be split into a lose confederacy of states or something along the lines of US with the states having most of the decision making .

[edit on 17-3-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
His two sons were "taken out" with lots of bullets (rounds) ..their old man was hung, by the neck until dead , by the Iraq court.

You mean the US court. didn't you see the court hearings? it was meditated, manipulated by the US media and the pressure from the wars. the iraqi people didn't want to kill Saddam, who are you kiddin? they did it to please americans. hoping that we would get out.

top topics

join