It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Americans Care About Big Brother? TIME

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

www.time.com

A quick tally of the record of civil liberties erosion in the United States since 9/11 suggests that the majority of Americans are ready to trade diminished privacy, and protection from search and seizure, in exchange for the promise of increased protection of their physical security. Polling consistently supports that conclusion, and Congress has largely behaved accordingly, granting increased leeway to law enforcement and the intelligence community to spy and collect data on Americans. Even when the White House, the FBI or the intelligence agencies have acted outside of laws protecting those rights — such as the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act — the public has by and large shrugged and, through their elected representatives, suggested changing the laws to accommodate activities that may be in breach of them.

Civil libertarians are in a state of despair. "People don't realize how damaging it is to a democratic society to allow the government to warehouse information about innocent Americans," says Mike German, national security counsel at the American Civil Liberties Union.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You know, I'd really like to know who exactly is conducting these 'polls' and who exactly they're polling to come up with this garbage. Are Americans really that complacent that they don't care about this crap? Our gov is grabbing more power over it's citizens by the moment, and by the sound of this article, nobody really even gives a darn! I know I do! I'm sick of this! We are headed to a total Police State!

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Our civil liberties are indeed being eroded away, Let us not forget that the Bill of Rights were not given to us by the goverment. The Bill of Rights were a confirmation of rights we were all born with. Both the right and left are trying to erode those rights. Esp. freedom of speech and the right to bear arms.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
of course they are reading people like us talking about how we feel an they are gettin scard, they want us all to think everyone else is ok with handing over our freedoms, and well thats not gonna be the case, we will send leaflets out to everyone if we have to even if the net is cut, they will not silence freedom....

freedom will silence them.

live an protect what is ours from the start an become a historical beacon of hope.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Very simple the media is been using propaganda as (Americans wants more rights taken away for security) to keep pushing the police state in America.

That is why they media is telling us why we want more spying, civil rights and privacy elimination

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

No I don't think most people care at all. One of my good friends was ok with phone/internet companies allowing the government to wiretap him because "he had nothing to hide."

I tried explaining to him it isn't a matter of hiding anything, but more of the fact that the government doesn't have any right to know what we are doing/saying.

Does the average American know the Bill of Rights or the Amendments? No. Does the average American know the Constitution? No.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Well I really do not understand the mentality on I have nothing to hide because as you said that is not the issue.

Now on the bill of rights and the amendment I carry my guide to civil rights and constitutional rights for dummies with me all the time.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Yeah, I've heard that "nothing to hide" statement echoed repeatedly right on this very board...Goes something like, "If you've got nothing to hide, then why worry if they're illegally spying on you or not?" LMAO

I'm left scratching my head in bewilderment over that one.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I agree, people who say if you have nothing to hide then it shouldn't matter annoy me to. I wish I was a good little drone like them who does and thinks as he is told but I'm not. People who believe that their govt has their best interest in mind are complete idiots and it's a shame people will eat up all the bullcrap they are fed if the govt sells it right. Oh no, the terrorists are winning, please insert an RFID chip up my ass so I can feel safer. Please govt protect me from those dreaded terrorists out to destroy the American way of life. They hate us because of our freedoms, how stupid do you have to be to believe that?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
RIFD inserted, you are at a place with ground and sky...... loading....... stand by flaged..... you are breathing....... red flag you are human ...... Terrorist terrorist alert alert...... Malfunctioning......

sorry but these guberment machine are sooo tempermental ...... these 700.00USD washers arent doing it we need the 1500.00 usd washers im telling them but they just dont wanna listen... see now we cant monitor all the cows...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Check out my sig.

Also, I DID find it interesting that I posted this:

FBI Tried to Cover Patriot Act Abuses With Flawed, Retroactive Subpoenas, Audit Finds

And no one seemed to care either.

new topics

top topics

join