It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter and its Pagan roots

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Today is Palm Sunday. The day after Christ raises Lazarus from the dead and descends from the Mt of Olives into Jerusalem only to be beaten tortured and killed upon a cross on the day we remember as Good Friday. Of course that is not the end of the story as today Christians celebrate Christ's resurrection on a day known as Easter Sunday. But would they if they knew today's customs of Lent/eggs/rabbits even ham actually can be traced to worship of Ishtar and Baal.

www.truthontheweb.org...

Also while discussing Easter. Matthew 12:39-40 Christ answers those asking for a sign and refers them to Jonah being in the belly of the whale 3 days and 3 nights. This of course is a prophecy and reference to his own time in the grave. But if he died on Good Friday that is not 3 days/3 nights...so it is an error right?

Wrong..it was a typical cultural thing to say when referring to 3 24 hour periods
bible.cc... >>
12:40 Three days and three nights - It was customary with the eastern nations to reckon any part of a natural day of twenty - four hours, for the whole day. Accordingly they used to say a thing was done after three or seven days, if it was done on the third or seventh day, from that which was last mentioned. Instances of this may be seen, 1Kings 20:29; and in many other places. And as the Hebrews had no word to express a natural day, they used night and day, or day and night for it. So that to say a thing happened after three days and three nights, was with them the very same, as to say, it happened after three days, or on the third day. See Esther 4:16; 5:1; Gen 7:4,12; Exod 24:18; 34:28. Jonah 2:1

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

You are right on track...bravo.....easter is pagan and Jesus died on wednesday..............
good friday as with so many catholic things is a fake, false, fraud tradition........

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

"In ancient Anglo-Saxon myth, Ostara is the personification of the rising sun. In that capacity she is associated with the spring and is considered to be a fertility goddess. She is the friend of all children, and to amuse them, she changed her pet bird into a rabbit. This rabbit brought forth brightly colored eggs, which the goddess gave to the children as gifts. From her name and rites the festival of Easter is derived. Ostara is identical to the Greek Eos and the Roman Aurora." (Encyclopedia Mythica, article: Ostara)

source

That's my favorite part. How crazy is that? What does a magic bunny with eggs have to do with anything?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by witnessrevthe

viewing a friday death and burial as a conspiracy to deny the truth but a wednesday death and burial to be real------do you mean that Messiah was resurrected at the end of saturday which would be exactly 3 days and 3 nights?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well now, lets get down to business shall we?

Easter - Ostara

Let's look at what the Romans did when they went out a'conquering shall we?

Each time Rome took over another country, one of the first things they did was institute their religion. Now over time, they began to realize that the easiest way to "persuade" the pagans to switch faiths was to have holy days on the same days that the pagans already had their holy days. You know the trick... the ole bait'n'switch tactic.

"Look, WE have a holy day on that day as well.. see? Our beliefs can't be that bad if we have the same holy days right?"

Yule became Christmas.... Ostara became Easter... some of the lesser holy days became Saint feast days.

All in the effort to make things easier for Pagans to accept this new belief system.

So it really should not be a surprise that Easter has pagan roots. Every Christian holiday has them for crying out loud!

Now, as for when Jesus died.... is anyone actually sure when he died? I mean the actual month and day?

Cause quite frankly.. Easter is celebrated on a different Sunday (and sometimes in a completely different month) every year. Case in point... it is March this year.. next year it is back to April.

Of course, I am not quite sure why a day is needed to celebrate the death, burial and rising. Just doesn't make sense to me really.

Besides... it all reeks of the story of Mithra... just the name changed.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
What I care about is I get Friday off with pay. WoooHooooo.....

I'm not a Christian, still, I hope they all get to celebrate and relive the glorious day their God chose to give the ultimate sacrifice for them.

I'm a Spiritual Anarchist and a member of the UUA. I try my best to respect the spiritual beliefs of all people. Sometimes I fall short of that and I hope you will forgive me for those times.

I respect the Christians belief that he rose from the dead on Sunday. I still can't stop thinking that if they had nailed him back up on Monday I'd be getting a four day weekend out of this.

Religion, I don't believe in any of them, but I'll darn sure take a day off with pay, regardless of who died.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Frankly I don't think there are any Christians who could care less whether it was previously a pagan holiday. I don't. I celebrate Easter for the death and resurrection of my savior, not it's pagan roots. And this is not new information...most Christians I know also know that the Romans perverted the day to assimilate the pagans into the tradition.

So, there you have it. Noone that celebrates it as Easter really cares what the early pagan ceremonies were about. We celebrate what is to us its true meaning...not the pagan ones.

It's all about why you're doing it, not what it originally was.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValhallasValkyrie
Cause quite frankly.. Easter is celebrated on a different Sunday (and sometimes in a completely different month) every year. Case in point... it is March this year.. next year it is back to April.
More specifically, Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox. Yeah, like that's working on a Christian timeline...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Actually, I believe that's how the Jews calculate their Passover date. Could be wrong..but don't think so. And the Christian Easter is always right about the time as the Jewish Passover. AND Christianity has Judaism as it's roots, not paganism.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Been pagan origin or not this is the time to get the spring newest fashions and the end of the winter.

And the children look adorable with their new easter clothes looking for eggs.

Get it people is just like Christmas nothing but money making holiday while helping American children get fat with all the candy.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Idle Rocker..
You are right it does coordinate with Passover which is about the moon. Something like it happens after first full moon after first day of spring...but yes timing is coordinated with passover.
BP

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Should have read farther Josh had answer

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I must say that I'm not all that familiar with the Christian Easter story, it's been a long time since my school days after all. However, this Friday is when I'll be celebrating my New Year's day! Hoorah!

So, come Thursday night I'll be out celebrating! I also have the opportunity to jump over a bonfire...... probably a small one.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
looked at from a conspiracy angle the catholic easter has been seperated from the Messiah's passover by 28 days this year.
easter is march 23 while Messiah's passover observance/rememberance(luke 22:19) is april 20 at the end of that day as the sun has set------going by the lunar calendar used by the aaronic priesthood during Messiah's human lifetime.
in like manner as they stopped keeping the sabbath and changed to sunday observance the catholic church seperated their easter from G-D's passover time(leviticus 23) even before dionysius exiguus a monk in rome devised the official calendar seperation in the 6th century ad in an effort to make sure that as much as possible for future dates that easter and passover would never coincide again.
how they can do this(daniel 7:25) without fear of the consequences is beyond my understanding in light of G-D's warnings over and over again to not change( deuteronomy 4:2/12:32 revelation 22:18-19)what G-D tells us to do.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
How crazy is that? What does a magic bunny with eggs have to do with anything?

I couldn't agree more. But it is simply amazing that you can make light of this so easily while at the same time you cannot break free from the delusion which is your imaginary friend. How crazy is that?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
I couldn't agree more. But it is simply amazing that you can make light of this so easily while at the same time you cannot break free from the delusion which is your imaginary friend. How crazy is that?

About
as
crazy
as
people
who
argue
with
'delusional'
folks
who
believe
in
an
imaginary
friend.

It's
pretty
crazy
to
argue
with
people
you
believe
are
crazy.

EDIT: Sorry for all the laughing smilies. The Flying Spaghetti Monster put those there.

[edit on 3/17/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A few years ago I tried to help a friend figure out when she was born.
She was like 35 years old and she was born in Michigan.
That state allowed the adoptive parents to change the date on the birth cirtificate. (amazingly wierd, to me, that you could do that)
So she did not know exactly when she was born, but she was pretty sure she was born on Easter.
You have no Idea how hard it is to figure out when easter is, on any given year.
There are calculators, but are too difficult for the average person to use.
I finaly found a web site for an observatory, in Ausralia that could tell me when Easter was, on the year she was born.

My point is, the whole thing (Easter) is crazy complicated.
My church does not celebrate Easter, at least, not, when I was young.
Once you put yourself under Easter, you are automaticly putting yourself under the Catholic Church and the popes who fought wars, in the past, over who could decide what day to celebrate it on.

*just in case anyone cares: I figured that my friend, Cindy, was born three days before the date on her certificate, and she was probubly given the day she was adopted.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I read in a book that not only was easter based upon pagan beliefs, but also Jesus himself was

Mithras was said to have been born before jesus on the 25th of december to a virgin mother, he was crucified, rose from the dead and was said to be the son of a God, as well as preaching a similar message to that of jesus.

The fact that the two most important events in the Christian year take place at the same time as the most important pagan feasts is very interesting.

I have heard that Jesus was actually born nearer April than December.

And Easter is moved every year to coincide with the moons activity, something that Christianity shouldn't be interested in at all. In fact I thought this kind of thinking was what got pagans killed by christians.

They just move it so that it comes into competition with pagan feasts.

btw..off topic...have you ever noticed that september, october, november and december all have suffixes that are roman for 7 8 9 and 10 respectively, even thought they are actually the 9tth, 10th, 11th and 12th? where did the extra 2 months come from?

might make a thread on that....

[edit on 17-3-2008 by owzitgarn]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by owzitgarn
Mithras was said to have been born before jesus on the 25th of december to a virgin mother, he was crucified, rose from the dead and was said to be the son of a God, as well as preaching a similar message to that of jesus.

Mithras was not born of a virgin- he was believed to have emerged out of solid rock as a fully formed adult. He was never believed to have been crucified, nevertheless to have ever even died. Therefore, he never rose from the dead. He never really preached anything because he was believed to have existed and left before men were created, etc.

Wow. That sounds just like the story of Jesus!

[edit on 3/17/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
well disregarding stuff about mithras, which i said i had just read in a book, which i will now throw out
, the christians still purposefully took over pagan feasts, even halloween by making it 'all souls eve' or whatever it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join