It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Survival Weapons*Brainstorming*

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Ok am I the only one who realizes most of these "weapons" are useless in a real situation where you would be fighting for your life?

Originally posted by Trance Optic
1st - tire launcher you can rig up two tires ( or more ) to rotate opposite of each other an you can insert sharp metal peices and fire em like bullets....

Ok I don't fully understand this so one from the information you've given but from what I am guessing is that you have a post with tires attached to ropes on top of the pole, as it spins the sharp pieces are unleashed. If this is the case then I can instantly see several problems: how do you control where the sharp bits go?, how do you ensure they fly out at the right velocity to inflict harm or in other words how do you know how far to stick them in so they fly out? Finally why built this complicated structure when you could just get a baseball bat, knife, piece of wood or a sharp rock?

2nd - Potatoe guns.... simple but effective Mortars..... just scoop out the inside of a potatoe just enuff so the its hull isnt too compismised an fill it up with flammable liquid (x) an thru a grill push button ignoted on the front so that when the potatoe hits it presses the button igniting the inside....

How much damage do you really think potatoes will do? Since we are talking about a survival situation why waste flammable liquid and a igniter on a useless weapon (fire anyone?). Finally why not just throw a rock, it does more damage, there is a near unlimited amount and it doesn't waste supplies?

3rd - ever heard of the civil war machine gun? was ingenious! it wasnt the mounted one they show alot on wheels it was a steam powered rotating device that flung ball bearing like bullets out the end of steel tubes like a revolving lacross stick for lack of better terming.

INCREDABLY complicated to make. Even if you could make it why not just place some explosives with ball bearings on one side a bit like a claymore?

4th - Booby traps.... Man oh man do i love traps.... my encampment would provide few entrances an the ones that were able to be walkable would be littered with traps an trenches but in a Symbolic way so that my locals knew where n how to walk thru em.

Since you don't list any booby traps I can't comment too much though I would suggest toe poppersToe Popper On the matter of trenches do You have any idea how hard it would be to dig a network of trenches with a limited number of people? Have you ever done any serious digging in your life? It is very hard although it would depend on the area you are in.

5th - Cannons... yes Cannons. So Simple and yet so Deadly... Specialy with Buckshot scrap metal flying out the end.... for extra effect could make it RUSTY metal scrap...

HTF would you build a cannon? Carving huge chunks of wood to form the base and casting your own barrel?

6th - Blowguns and darts are prolly easier to make then Dows and arrows, but both would be a vital asset to a Suvivalist party.

I'd hardly say blow guns are vital assets. They are quite time consuming to make and reload and would be useless if you were being charged at as they would do next to no damage unless you're thinking of the Amazonians and their use of poison I can just about guarantee any poison you could find would be very slow acting and therefore useless.

Sorry if this comes across as overly aggressive but the last sentence of no. 7 it seems you are trying to give advice which IMHO is very bad advice and you post is quite immature? If it was a TEOTWAWKI situation can you imagine attacking someone with a spud

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
before i begin i need to state that i am not a violent person!!

however...

i'm british and don't know if you guys call it the same thing but theres this stuff called carpet gripper, it's like a piece of wood with loads of little nails in it,

if you take 2 pieces and put them back to back then secure it with a little duct tape and use duct tape to make a handle.. this would seriously damage someones face!!

also, snooker balls in socks are good!

(i had a violent ex boyfriend and had to defend my self a couple of times, not a psycho, honest!!
)

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
I agree with one thing for sure. you can take our weapons and we will make more.

I'm am in complete disagreement with this statement... There will be no need to make guns or weapons because they are NOT going to take them away.... I'm not giving mine to anyone... They'll have to kill me to get it... Sorry, but I'm keeping my guns, I will need them, so good luck getting them... And all who give in and give up their guns are giving up their rights and in my opinion aren't smart enough to develop new weapons beyond a spear or maybe a bow an arrow... Why would you agree to give up your guns? Are you insane? Have you completely lost your minds?!!!! Wake up people, demand your freedom and civil rights, don't give them away!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
In reguards to rubber bullet's post....

Nothing is a exact science, their are variables an situations that will make or break ideas, as for the ones Ive listed,

Its ALL about how to use them. I can say the same thing for modern weapons, they misfire, clog, backfire, yes at a much lessar rate then the weps i mentioned, but just pointing out, not all weps aRE 100% WINNERS.

Blow guns are more a covert item,

the tire launcher, is a close proximity weapon obviously for the lack of control u would have of the projectiles, you would use Flattened items into certain aerodynamic shapes.

the civil war gun, well I'd talking about using its Idea, Not the steam. Just the idea, now with that in mind thats a great booby trap, like a mine or something but instead of blowing up U trigger the release pin of tight wires that release an allow the main object top spin greatly releasing bearings in a 360 direction.

Booby traps, Come on, Holes with spikes covered with ground cover. flipin treesfalling on you, I mean use yer imagination, Its called a booby trap for just that.

As for cannons, all you need is a structurely sounded tube object, a way to further improve its structure, cap the end by whatever means u have load your explosive material an Your projectile an Bury the end that you caped, Im pretty sure the laws of Physics will do the rest pending you structure is stable enuff an your end is capped aN BURY WELL..... Ive seen mythbusters an junkyard wars an made enuff explosive combustion guns to know this.

As for the Potatoe guns.. I have about 4 videos one is a tut on how to make a combustion gun, started out with a potatoe gun fetish, well I moved on to paintballs an then Blowgun darts... With this gun an that blowgun combined you have a gun. I've tested it, I still have yet to retrieve my darts from the dartboard after shooting it, its a 8 inch tiny blowgun dart, an its abouthalf an half on eaCH SIDE OF THE DART BOARD, lol it shoots more then 300 yards, yes accuracy is good, pending the length of the barrel. Not to mention what could be put inside the potatoe, or that you could craft your own mortars,

really Im done trying to explain how Id use things, an then have you come back venting bout something an pick apart my post as if I was some young kid with no clue of what im talking about. I felt the need to humor u this time, but that quickly faded an Im now DOne.

There are ways to discuss things, an if u honestly feel something would work then say it, but if u feel all of the thingds mentioned wont work, just move to the Religon debate forum, Im sure your needed.

[edit on 27-4-2008 by Trance Optic]

[edit on 27-4-2008 by Trance Optic]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

the tire launcher, is a close proximity weapon obviously for the lack of control u would have of the projectiles, you would use Flattened items into certain aerodynamic shapes.

From one of my fav episodes of Scrapheap Challenge...

The truck-mounted Golfball Gatling!

Stuff the naysayers, keep them ideas coming trance

[edit on 27-4-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
As it was very well said, the whole planning of a defense system depends on many variables concerning the nature of the menace, the terrain, etc, etc, etc.
Let's see if someone can help then. I'll give some specs of a concrete situation, if someone could contribute with useful tips to my planning, i'd be very grateful.

SITUATION: Life threat to me and my family (mother/sis), due to ideological/religious dispute.

[B]INTEL[/B]: Just knew the bastards figured out my address...

[B]LEGAL BCKG[/B]: National law prohibits guns/use of lethal force (must disable the attacker but not kill him); police reinforcement VERY unlikely. Police involvement undesirable - my ideology is persecuted in my country and menacers (former colaborators/turncoats) are taking advantage of this (better if the attacker(s) gets injured/stunned and runs away).

[B]PEOPLE INVOLVED[/B]:
[B]ENEMIES[/B]: No professionals (civilians with little or no training); expect no resistance; can come in any numbers; don't know if they have guns (h2h weapons more likely).
ME: Sparse training on use of weapons; must take advantage from surprise and defending position; family MUST be protected even in my absence (easy-operating systems) - this is PRIORITY 1.

[B]BATTLE OBJECTIVES[/B]:
ENEMIES: Threat and intimidate to prevent me from speaking publicly. Recently evolving to physical and life threats. One of the turncoats may try attacking and raping the women instead of attacking me.
ME: In priority order: 1) Ensure family integrity. 2) Scare the attackers so they wont try again. 3) Keep authorities out of this. Personal integrity is of course desirable but expendable (have no fear of death but fear for my family).

[B]ENGAGEMENT SCENARIO[/B]: Enemy will most likely try to break into our home.
A second possibility is to attack each person alone on the way to school/work/market etc.

[B]STRATEGIC GUIDELINES[/B]: Must provide homemade, cheap, trap systems and personal weapons easy enough for the women to handle. Priority 1 is to defend home perimeter with traps. Priority 2 is to give family members means of self defense outside home.

[B]TERRAIN SPECS[/B]: Small house. Have a tall gate (easy to climb though), and a 4m tiled floor space before front door (have 2 locks but easy to break in). House have small rooms, and a stair (rooms in upper floor) that may provide an excellent spot for a trap; all windows have bars (impossible to break into home though windows). IMPORTANT: have two dogs; trigger systems may not be activated accidentaly by dogs. Dogs' battle skills and ferocity unknown. Strategic spots would be front door, stairs and door to the backyard (where my room is located, 3 rooms after front door).

[B]BUDGET[/B]: Very little. Family have a small income and cannot compromise much (systems may be installated gradually up to a maximum of 3 months). Enemy also have low budget but may have contacts with criminal circles which may provide material and instructions.

I'm looking forward to see what the minds of this forum can offer... it is on those real, complicated situations that the best strategists prove themselves.

(p.s. i'm no terrorist or something; just part of a Heathen family being threatened by recently-converted-into-christian-fanatic turncoats.)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

Projectile weapons are difficult to make for sure. Id suggest investing time on making protective clothing to withstand projectiles, such as multiple layers of leather etc. If you can withstand projectiles, then you can defend your house adequately. If they try and get inside, the traps you mentioned or just clubbing the hell out of them would work lol.

I recently acquired an E-book called "Poorman's Bulletproof Vest". This ebook details the procedure for making a bullet resistant vest out of everyday items. It was made from Felt and silcon sealant. The silicon binds to the felt fibers and makes a tough layer. You can do multiple layers of felt and silicon.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubber Bullet

All very valid points. However, with a little forethought and work, its not that hard to build a cannon. I have several of them. Make certain you either are, or know a very good welder, dont overload with powder, and have cannon fuse. With that said, home built cannons can be very dangerous, so dont try to build one and fire it without having people around that have done this alot. Also, if it is a sit-x senerio, making your own powder while not difficult, involves a bunch of prep so you dont blow yourself apart.

Also, I heard a rumor that cannon fuse is getting harder to come by in some states, any truth to that?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
A cross between a blowgun and crossbow, built on the principles of a paintball shooter. You take a heavy wooden dart, easily lathed on a hand lathe, and propel it at high speed with an air canister. You get lots of rounds per tank of air, could potentially engineer for auto reloading. Could hand pump the pressure tank if need be. And it's silent. It's what I would do if there was not much left to work with, a little more advanced than a bow and arrow. You could put food in the table with such a device. I't won't hold off UN troops but if it came to that we would all be opportunists anyway.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wow, what a fantastical thread.

Most of these ideas are ridiculously stupid.

I can't really see things like cannons and spud guns being very efficient weapons at all. You'd be better to sharpen a long stick and thrust it through someones chest than try and hit them with a flaming potato.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben236

But cannons are fun.
Not sure if its exactly useful as they take 10 minutes to load, but by and large are a good way to blow apart an old door.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
So your telling me a Cannon loaded with Wooden Splinters is gonna be less effective then a sharpened stick.....

wow, and you think im actually gonna fire SPUDS out of a SPUD gun? You obviously havent made a spud gun before, as You can fire everything from rounded rocks, to tennis balls, to darts, to Mortars if you made it right, Not to mention homemade buckshot,

Cmon guys If I wanted Negitive posts I would of made a Bush thread.

This is for CREATIVE THINKERS.... all closeminded folk might wanna go read a book, or do your taxes, maybe audit yourself.

I love traps too, Just the thinking them up part is extremely fun to me, not to mention engineering anything, but gadgets take my heart!

Now I like the Air powered dart gun, I actually built a Paintball gun, more like a combustion gun, but it fires my darts, my paitnballs, anything really I want within thrust to weight ratio. just change the barrel to fit whatever object your trying to shoot,

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by the way
Well, most of us wear socks- add couple of stones and you've got a cosh. A belt , quickly whipped off and waved in someones face can be quite an effective detterrent? Girls in the uk reckon the high heel nuckleduster is the weapon of choice from what i've observed here in bristol? I'm sure you could even botch up a sling from your shoe laces? Seem to vaguely remember some way you could turn a newspaper into a makeshift weapon as well? Can anyone help me out on that?
Roll the paper up real tightly, then strike out with the end of it. It's a close combat weapon at best, but hurts like crap when your struck under the chin or in the throat with it.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
A good improvised hand weapon can be made out of an old circular saw blade. Get a stout piece of wood, split it several inches down the middle, insert the blade, then secure it all together by wrapping it lengthwise with cordage or paracord. This will give you a very useful axe for chopping small pieces of wood or self-defense.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

So your telling me a Cannon loaded with Wooden Splinters is gonna be less effective then a sharpened stick.....

That depends on how they are used, but a well aimed jab will easily disable someone a lot more stealthily than a potato cannon.

wow, and you think im actually gonna fire SPUDS out of a SPUD gun?

I don't even think you know what you're going to do:

Originally posted by Trance Optic2nd - Potatoe guns.... simple but effective Mortars..... just scoop out the inside of a potatoe just enuff so the its hull isnt too compismised an fill it up with flammable liquid (x) an thru a grill push button ignoted on the front so that when the potatoe hits it presses the button igniting the inside....

That is a terrible idea for the following reasons:

It's a waste of a potato
It's a waste of gas
It's a waste of flammable liquid
The firer will be showered with burning liquid
The potato will tumble, releasing the flaming payload mid flight or on you
Good luck hitting anything
Reload time

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread,

The Woomera

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Well if we are going to be rediculous about it, here is my idea for a:
Betsey Wetsy Flamethrower.

You take an old doll that pees when you squeeze it, boost the pee factor and have her hold a little kerosene lantern. To use as a weapon you just fill her with gasoline aim her bottom at the enemy and give a good squeeze and out comes a stream of flaming death.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Cmon guys, Yes its called a potato cannon, But Im not using potatoes, Maybe just forget the Potato part. an think cannon. I just used the Starch as a descriptive means of Imaging. But I see its been taken too one sided, Like I said a Potato cannon is just a Pressure cannon or a combustion gun, thats it, what you use for ammo is up to your creativity.

and the jab verses a cannon fodder, well kinda like a knife against a gun. Better hope thats a Black powder rifle. lol

On other notes, the betsy wetsy doll flame thrower is cool, but why not a modified supersoaker? put a Metal barrel on that badboy with a grill lighter riged to the trigger of the supersoaker an you got one nice fire starter.

but again I prefer working smart, not hard. Defense is the best combat weapon.
Traps IMO are some of the best weapons of all, Places you away from harms way while at the same time engaging a enemy.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Trance Optic

yeah, it's all good fantasy thinking, but if the # hits the fan, and especially your at home, gather family in safe room, assemble your
weapons, and hopefully you will only have to last for a few days before
martial law takes effect.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

if the intent is to maim and not to kill, then I would strongly suggest the use of pepper bombs. the easiest way to make them is the use of tissue paper or single ply kleenex, and varois spices like Cayanne pepper, other peppers, chili peppers, hot spicy curries and Alum powder, very finely ground with a few marbles or large ball berrings inside the package to give it heft as well as to insure breakage upon impact. other non lethals, Capscasium oil or extremely hot (spicy) sauces or hydrogen peroxide in water guns (I prefer teh supersoaker variety myself for teh range and accuracy) and aim for the head.

As for firearms, Look up plans for teh "Four Winds" shotgun by Bill Holmes, printed by paladin press. the cost to make is under 10 dollars canadian, when firing, Aim for the legs. it's not going to kill them unless they don't get medical attention

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
since were talkin hypothetical since no one is taking guns away, i will state simply that the classics are the best. Bow/arrow light weight easy to make ammo, and just as easy to poision, i think the weapons used in this situtation will depend on lots of variables like, bugged out on the move? hold up with food and ammo defending your family? do you have gas? its easy to say everything you could do, which in reality is nothing like it would be. my advice would be to at least have a good fixed blade knife and stone, flint/steel, rope, and brains. Survival is not just about getting the job done, it about the smartest way of doing things that will prolong your life. you all might just want to brush up on local plant life/ field dressing game, trapping, animals are stupid. at this time i would like to thank my grandpa for all the hunting/camping/shooting/trapping and general rugged manly stuff he taught me, with out you I would have never slaughtered a pig when i was 11 and i probably would have lost a finger to that mink we trapped thanks for setting me straight. rip.

I personally believe in the sitx, or marshal law type event that i will personally bug out and rendevous with my friends at our predetermined local, i will be only taking things i can carry, i will have 2 side arms 1 .22, 9mm, and .22 comp rifle. also my current hiking pack i think its around 40lbs, it has tent/mummybag/water purifer/hiking cooking gear, polythermals and waterproof pants, all sorts of fishing line/hooks, rope, triozane ect...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join