It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should MODS use sock puppets to moderate?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I think it's important for the member to know which staff is taking action against them, as it helps maintain accountability.

This is true. It's not a negative thing either, such as trying to get a MOD 'in trouble' for doing something.

It's good to know which MOD's you can speak to about your situation. Whenever I get in 'trouble' and I know I can make things better, I'll speak to the MOD or even send in a 'complaint'. I'm not proud of this, but it does help resolves things quickly and the MODs rarely take it personally.

It's just good business to know the MODs names.

MBF

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I had a Mod give me a warning one time and just a few days later I saw where they were doing the same thing that I got the warning for. It made me so mad I didn't post for a while.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Heck no!!!!!!
Tooooooooo easily abused by those less held back by those things called morals.

Other words its tooo easily abused.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The Mods here are way cool!!! ATS Stays above board by the Mods not having 'sock puppets'. You have to admire that!

If the mods did have alternate ID's, could you imagine the conspiracy theories that would be flying around the pages here! No thanks!

Go Mods - You Rock!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I didn't mean for this thread to become a MOD bashing thread, or a go! go! Mods thread. Just seeing how ATSer would respond to such a concept. (which I originally thought to be original)

I think there would still be some place for stealth moderating on ATS, but only with limited capabilities. For example stealth moderators could have the power to:

1. move threads
2. retitle threads
3. sent priority alerts to moderators for inappropriate posts

If such a moderator were to abuse his/her powers, he/she would quickly be stripped of them. (I know my time zone would greatly benefit from such a system, GMT + 8 hrs)

Originally posted by chissler
A simple rule of thumb to abide by...

• If we are engaging the members, we are posting as a moderator.

• If we are engaging the subject matter of the thread, we are posting as a member.

• This is an excellent rule of thumb Chissler.
    Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Also, I found the following post to be especially appropriate in the thread linked to by SO on page 1:

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
    I will admit to all-I have a serious issue with authority-not just ATS-authority in general-my personal demon

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think with us members being mostly made up of conspiracy theorists, this is often the case.

dizziedame, I think you gravely misunderstood what I meant by "snapping". I simply meant calling a MOD a Nazi or something along those lines. Not, somehow "going postal" in SkepticOverlord's Park Avenue penthouse...
    and no, I would not take crap from a CEO either.
    (nor, as a Canadian would I bow to any queen)

BTW, SkepticOverlord, I think some of the comments made by some posters regarding TC were right on. That guy was scary!! He almost turned me off ATS when I first got here.

Originally posted by neformore
    Actually I'm the same person all the time

Actually, that rotating avatar of yours is quite confusing. I never know who you'll be when I refresh.
    (who is that girl anyway?)

[edit on 17/3/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:12 AM
    link   
    Where The Other Sock Goes

I've kicked this idea around in my head from time to time, but always ended up concluding that it wouldn't be an improvement on the current system.

Though we might not think much of it when we first register, over time those of us who get addicted to ATS come to value our pseudonymous identities here. They become a sort of alter-ego and distinguish us as individuals in the community.

In short, we get to know each other.

Though there are potential problems that go along with that when you become a moderator -- allegations of bias based on the personal opinions you've expressed over the years on various topics being most common -- in the end I still think it's still better than dealing with a cold, anonymous, impersonal "business only" account.

There is, of course, the problem of personal opinions and official business becoming confused in a thread, but in such cases, it is entirely the responsibility of the mod in question to make the distinction clear, and any member is welcome to ask if there's any doubt.

Also, as some of my fellow mods have pointed out, we are strongly discouraged from doing both in the same thread to avoid any appearance of partiality or bias in staff actions (though there can be exceptions which we assume at our own risk).

And as always, if you think a mod has acted improperly, we encourage you to try to work things out via U2U or, if that doesn't resolve things, via a complaint.

Granted, the system we currently have is by no means perfect, but it does work better than any alternative I'm aware of, and I think it says a lot that everyone on the staff is willing to testify to that by using our "real" ATS names when we work with our fellow members.

It's always nice to know who you're dealing with.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:30 AM
    link   

Originally posted by neformore

.......but by night I don my spandex tights, kevlar cloak and mask and become Neformore, champion of the T&C, dooer of good deeds, righter of wrongs, and...ummm.....

yeah....umm....thats sounds good....spandex tights....umm yeah...can the mods wear that too.

On a serious note, atleast we can look up the mods profiles when thay post as themselves and checkout threads and the like....get to know what they are into etc.....and by that i don't mean just spandex.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:01 PM
    link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23
    I think there would still be some place for stealth moderating on ATS, but only with limited capabilities. For example stealth moderators could have the power to:

1. move threads
    2. retitle threads
    3. sent priority alerts to moderators for inappropriate posts

1- Can't be done, auto-u2u sent to the member. No stealth there.

2- Also can't be done, edit note left in the OP.

3- Could be done but I don't know what the point would be.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:14 PM
    link   
    reply to post by atlasastro

Here ya go. My Profile, here at ATS.

Cuhail's Profile

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:48 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Cuhail

Cuhail, I clicked on your link, and it went to my profile!
    Does it do that for everyone? lol

...the mods are fine where they are, I would'nt change a thing!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:45 AM
    link   
    reply to post by intrepid

Thanks intrepid. It's final then, stealth moderating is something ATS will never see unless SO made major changes in the code. The membership seems to be mostly against it anyhow.

Thanks for your input Majic, that was very insightful.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:55 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Cuhail

YOU are a funny guy!!!!!...

I clicked and laughed for an hour!!!!

Semper

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:58 AM
    link   
    I've yet to meet a mod who isn't ready to touch themselves over there new powers. I mean people just see the words "Ban User" or "Suspend" and its just dangling in there mind, they impulse and just have to use it. Some people can just deal with it and actually use it when it's needed or in the right, other mods will use, and abuse. It's like giving a kid candy for the first time. They cannot resist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join