It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Security Forces Swarm Tibet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
U.S. Turns Blind Eye on Tibet Violence

Amnesty International has slammed the Bush administration for removing China from the list of human rights violators amid unrest in Tibet.

Last Tuesday the US State Department dropped China from its list of the world's worst human rights violators, keeping Iran, North Korea, and Syria still on the list.

The Tibet crackdown is a "big embarrassment for Bush, coming just a couple of days after the State Department decision to delist China as a top human rights violator," said T. Kumar, Amnesty International's Washington-based Asia-Pacific advocacy director.

Sad, sad, sad. Does any other American feel "dirty" right now?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
OH realy...

You mean our little firends who make our TV's are bad People...

Nooooo.... who would have thought that....

I glad to see that some athleates are starting to wake up to China and how they conduct themselves... the more people boycot the better. UIn fact the best thing the world could do right now is EVERYONE boycott it. China has alot riding on these games, they consider it the new bitrh of thier nation... what better way to wlecome these people to the world by everyone not showing up to thier party... How cool can the olymics be if just Cuba, N.Korea, and China are there...

We need a WHOLE disscution board on China.

Ive been on board for Boycotting these games for months now, i would love to see the boat full, if you know what i mean...

[edit on 3/16/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
dbl pst

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
trpl pst

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Yes I do feel a bit dirty. But I know how to feel clean again... I think it is time to provide a phone number and web address for the white house. If anyone cares to leave a message the link will get you there.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Tibet protests spread to other provinces

Violence in Tibet spilled over into neighboring provinces Sunday where Tibetan protesters defied a Chinese government crackdown. The Dalai Lama warned Tibet faced "cultural genocide" and appealed to the world for help.

Protests against Chinese rule of Tibet were reported in neighboring Sichuan and Qinghai provinces and also in western Gansu province. All are home to sizable Tibetan populations.

Tibetans look at the Chinese riot police standing in formation at a Chinese army compound in Xiahe, Gansu Province, China, Sunday, March 16, 2008. On Saturday, police fired tear gas to disperse hundreds of Buddhist monks and other Tibetans after they marched from the historic Labrang monastery and smashed windows in the county police headquarters in Xiahe, witnesses said.(AP Photo/Andy Wong)

Tibet was effectively independent for decades before Chinese communist troops entered in 1950. The latest unrest began March 10 on the anniversary of a 1959 uprising against Chinese rule of Tibet.
The protests are an embarrassment for China, coming just weeks before the Beijing Summer Olympics ceremonies kick off with the torch relay, which is set to pass through Tibet.

The Tibetans haven't been free for over 50 years. Isn't it about time they were allowed self-rule?

Isn't this just peachy. The Chinese are more worried about their freaking Olympics going off without a hitch than the Tibetan people.

# the Olympics. You can kiss my ass China.

[edit on 3/16/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Um...Tibet's gots teh oil and gas:

September 5, 2001
Chinese researchers have discovered massive new gas and oil deposits totaling an estimated 4 billion to 5.4 billion tons in Tibet in southwestern China, the newspaper China Daily reported. The estimates, though tentative, will likely aid China's attempts to increase foreign interest and investment in its western regions, which in turn will strengthen Beijing's control across the country.
Global Policy Forum | Potentially Massive Oil and Gas Find in Tibet

More:

Chinese geologists are reported to have discovered a vast oil deposit in a remote part of northern Tibet.

The oil deposit in the Qiangtan Basin extends over 100 kilometres (60 miles) and may hold as much as 100 million tonnes of oil, according the official Xinhua news agency.

The Chinese government has ambitious plans for Tibet, which include developing five airports and building a railway linking the mountainous region to the outside world.

Earlier this year, the Chinese government pledged to spend $3.8bn (£2.6bn, 4.1bn euros) to complete more than 100 construction projects in Tibet.

Oil extraction in Tibet's mountains is likely to attract criticism from environmentalists and human rights activists.
BBCNews | China finds oil in Tibet

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

We don't care about anyone. Not even our troops. Why the hell would we (the US government and majority of citizens) give a # about the Tibetans?

"The Chinese are merely protecting their interests." The same way we protect our corporate interests in Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

That can't be right. Only the US would invade a country that has oil and try to impose their will on the people of that nation.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Well, that clinches it for me. No wonder the Tibetans are ready to fight over it and the Chinese are adamant about keeping control over the region.

Oil means not having to suck up to Iran OR Russia.

This is huge news. Thanks for bringing this, because it sure changes not only my personal take on things, but explains why China is willing to let the Olympics suffer over the bad press this crack-down is giving them.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It has always been about Tibets natural resources. The reason Mao wanted all that land was for its trees. During Maos' little "Great Leap Forward" a misserably failed attempt to industrialize china they damn neared cut every tree in china down. China striped its own natural resources then headed for Tibet, and the link below will explain how close they are now to striping everything from Tibet.

tibet.dharmakara.net...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Oh no.....(realization sinking in) you are so right. That's it....WE are becoming more and more like China on human rights on a daily basis. We don't care. It's just not going to end is it? It will go on until the last penny can be squeezed out of any resource: human, mineral, plant or animal on this planet and then some. And it won't be the people at large sharing in these resources. Our operating system is flawed. Our mission is flawed. Our objective is flawed. We need a dramatic paradigm shift. Fast. White flag......this cannot be all there is....is this truly all we as a species are to represent? We are the "culmination of "consciousness"? Sad ain't it.....

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I appreciate goosedawgs post above, however what does that have to do with infringing upon peoples beliefs? Why is Buddhism illegal and the Llamas looked at like criminals for sharing their traditions? Seems like the best way to control the masses would not be to take away their religious freedoms. Give the people the right to bow before something greater than the vested interests.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe
reply to post by biggie smalls

I know I am alone on this one but China reserves the right to keep control of Tibet. I am sure my view on this issue is not popular but it is what it is. Israel is not giving up it's land, neither is China and neither is Serbia. Why doesn't the U.S. give back some of the "good" land back to the American Indians. Let all the black people create their own country here as well since they were brought to the U.S. as slaves. Mexico can have back it's territory that the U.S. took away. Does anyone see where I am going with this?

The people in Tibet were conquered by the China, that pretty much sums it up for me. Human rights get abused by every country, just look around. Americans have never been conquered by any foreign country, that's what makes it difficult for the typical American to see both sides. America does plenty of conquering but has never been on the receiving end of it. One other thing, America will never be conquered by any other nation, no freaking way. Not the real America I know of and love, but that America is gone and I want it back! Let's start with bringing the troops home, we may have to send them to China if we let power mongers have their way, again.
Reread your own post. What you basically are saying is : Countries , go ahead and conquer your neighbour because if you are able to conquer, then you are allowed and should be allowed to rule over that part of the world.

America is conquered. By white men. Does that mean you should also start acting like Chinese? Nope.

It is not because you in person have some difficulties to see the wrong in this case, that all Americans have difficulties "because they havent been conquered". You are just generalizing and saying " They havent been through it, so they can't see right or wrong".
Tell you what, I havent been through such a thing either, still I can see that what they do is wrong. Did you check the links about living organdonors? Do so please, and then tell me if one has to experience it him/herself to know if its wrong or not. Sadly, those who know its wrong, arent living anymore, so they can't tell you why its wrong.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe
reply to post by antar

Yes China has the right to do as it pleases, whether we like it or not. I may not approve of their methods but it is their right. The U.S. is not the policeman of the world, it cannot tell other countries what to do or how to treat their people. Tibet was conquered and is a part of China. I do feel bad about the the bad things that have been done to the people of Tibet but then again I feel bad for deer that get shot by hunters just so they could hang a deerhead on their wall.
This board is not solely for Americans, nor is this thread about Americans or the U.S.

This is about Tibet. Your logic is flawed. Big time.

So, again, hypothetical, if Russia, Canada and some Central American countries find a reason to conquer the U.S and you, you will go saying "Hey peeps, do not protest, they are in their right, we lost, so we should be taken off our human rights, and do whatever they say"?

Will you then say to the Europeans : Do not protest against this, we where conquered and its their right?

It's 2008 , we are supposed to be a bit beyond that.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
Start with local reps then move onto sponsors..i

Forget the reps... go for the sponsors first, especially those that sell products to Americans... If the Olympics is about making gold, how would those sponsors feel if WE boycotted THEIR products here in America?

A good detective follows the money... same works in reverse... cut off the money and the sponsors will balk

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Good post, TheComte- Star!

Your comparison about Afghan invasions, sure points out some major
hypocrisy.

I don't know how the Chinese ever got the Olympics, in the first place;
then to be taken off the list of human rights abusers...

Hhhmmmm.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
Um...Tibet's gots teh oil and gas:

Ah! Oil and gas... that explains Bush taking them off the list

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Point taken. I have been at it all day, some are hard to get to but all have some way provided for my scathing emails. I will probably give the ole white house a call a few dozen times tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Reaction is beginning in Europe too...

Tibet Unrest Sparks Demonstrations in Europe

Demonstrators in several European cities have gathered to oppose China's crackdown on 'pro-independence activists' in Tibet.

The rallies were held on Sunday with some of the protestors calling for a boycott of the Olympic Games in Beijing, AFP reported.

In The Hague, some 400 people tried to storm the Chinese embassy and 100 protestors managed to tear down part of the gate surrounding the building. They then proceeded to replace the Chinese flag with a Tibetan one before the Dutch police stepped in and prevented them from entering the embassy compound.

I would bet their sponsors phones/emails are going to flood as well....let it rain.

edit: tired typos

[edit on 16-3-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join