It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Security Forces Swarm Tibet

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

The problem with your statement is that the majority of US citizens (I am American so I can't speak for everyone else) don't know what is happening in the world, don't care, and wouldn't move off their couch to change the television channel.

We are apathetic citizens by and large. There aren't even war protests anymore.

I've seen ONE, yes ONE person protest the war in Iraq in my town this year. How sad is that?

I was going to get out of the car and slap him five, but it didn't even seem worth it.

No one cares.

Tibet is the least of our problems. We are suffering here in the US with the house bubble and the economy going to #.

We cannot afford another war, no matter how humanitarian based it may be.

To unite the people of the world would be great and the most important achievement we could ever do.

However, as the world stands now, its not going to happen.

We are in dire need of a paradigm shift. Until that day, nothing will change.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg

Um...Tibet's gots teh oil and gas:

Ahh, I see. Well then I don't really see the difference between what the Chinese are doing and what the USA is doing in Iraq. Why boycott the Olympics over it?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

China does not have an arm of justice..the chinese government and all the private industry goons are nothing but oppressors. exploiting their own population, killing the chinese envirnment along with the natural beauty of tibet, and then the genocide that is occurring as we speak in Tibet. If you had the ability to see the truth from your computer I would provide all the reports, but alas you can not.

You have very limited access to news so I consider your opinion on the matter to be severely crippled.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Why boycott the Olympics over it?

We should boycott Chinese goods, which includes American garbage that is sent to China and sold back to us for premium prices.

We are the fools in this equation.

Boycotting the Olympics will send a strong message to the Chinese. Will it work? I don't know.

I for one will not be watching the Chinese and will try not to support the Olympic sponsors (which won't be hard as I don't eat crap food and drink crap beer).

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I see the same world you do. The apathy is a plaque. This is why I preach over and over to simply stop buying chinese products. It will take little effort but could have a big impact. From what I am seeing in the news and from what I am hearing around town here Americans and other countries are paying attention. We don't all have to be in the streets protesting, we only have to be a bit more aware when we spend our money.

If we all took the message everywhere we go it would spread. I have been in stores talking to total strangers on this matter and trust me it gets in their heads.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

China does not have an arm of justice..the chinese government and all the private industry goons are nothing but oppressors. exploiting their own population, killing the chinese envirnment along with the natural beauty of tibet, and then the genocide that is occurring as we speak in Tibet. If you had the ability to see the truth from your computer I would provide all the reports, but alas you can not.

You have very limited access to news so I consider your opinion on the matter to be severely crippled.

Again, you are spreading disinfo and lies, or just trying to repeat something you have read in one of your propaganda medium.

private industry 'goons', opressors? exploiting the population? man, for the I -forgot-the-count how many times, I invite you to here and I will put you in contact with several labour who won a lawsuit in the court over their former employer in a labour disagreement. Or do you know that employers in China are obliged to pay at least 6.5%-7% of the gross salary in the social (only medical part of it) insurance fund?

the term 'genocide' is used way too loosely and is unjustified! you know what a real genocide is? You should ask someone about Rwanda!

Again, so called 'limited access' is again something you claim, and which I have proven to you I have unlimited access, yet you still do not wanna believe a Chinese citizen in China could access the very same reports and articles (without any tricks) as you are able to access, this says enough about what kind of person you are.

And I do think you have a personal interests in cracking down China, which should spur your sales in your candle business if USA ever decide to boycot all Chinese products. So I have no interests in debating with you anymore.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I know a way to solve the dilemma. Go to a page that has the data you want to show to Ichi, do a screenshot of it, upload it to an image server and link it here. Unless chinese can't see images on the web?

1 point however, if they are that worried about the web and conspiracy theories, how's it that Ichi is here without a hitch? This site is loaded with anti-government data for almost every country on the planet.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by undo]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
the term 'genocide' is used way too loosely and is unjustified! you know what a real genocide is? You should ask someone about Rwanda!

How about Darfur?

Your country has no problem backing the people at the forefront of the genocide (the government). You get oil from Sudan and you are directly linked to a genocide.

Oil for China, Guns for Darfur

China and Darfur: The genocide olympics?

Oil drives the genocide in Darfur

In West Africa it was diamonds, now its oil in Darfur.

Again, so called 'limited access' is again something you claim

Google has censored your country. That is a fact.

Google agrees to censor results in China

Google censors itself for China

You do not have free access to the internet.

Now back to the topic:

FREE TIBET!!!

[edit on 3/17/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Many of the links I provided were google and youtube videos documenting the cruel treatment of Tibetans. You are not able to use those links so you have no idea of what I have seen, so how could you possibly argue the points that I have made?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

That is a question I ask myself. It has all been pretty thick propaganda here and on a couple of other threads. From what I have read on chinese sensorship of the internet these conversations should not be happening with our chinese friends, those in china anyway.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Thought I'd post this link for all who would like to see some pictures that China has released from the rioting going on in Tibet.

TIBET PROTEST PHOTOS - March 15th

TIBET PROTEST PHOTOS - March 16th

Seems like a pretty interesting website (CRYPTOME.org and CRYPTOME OUT).

Found these pictures and website while checking what was new in Digg.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

Originally posted by TheComte
Why boycott the Olympics over it?

Boycotting the Olympics will send a strong message to the Chinese. Will it work? I don't know.

It will not do anything at all, except deprive hundreds of athletes the opportunity they've been training, in some cases, their whole lives for. To compete in Olympics is a great and noble dream. Sometimes a person has one chance to excel and leave his mark on the history of sport. To take that away because of politics, in which the action will have zero effect on the intended target, is ludicrous. Look at Moscow. It didn't make the Soviets leave Afghanistan any sooner. There is no upside to boycotts. Never was, never will be. Politics has no business in the world of sport.
Boycott Chinese products if you want. Should have started that 15 years ago and maybe I would still be making $25 bucks an hour with my good job. Way too late for that, I think.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Maybe the athletes can decide that for themselves. If you are paying attention to the conversation and the links provided you would see that talk of boycotting the olympics is not just limited to this thread.

And I disagree with your prediction of it being to late to boycott chinese products. I think this is the perfect time to start.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by chinawhite

Ummmm China.
There are muslims in Iraq.
It's a Muslim Country.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Geee such a wonderful case of putting words into my mouth there skippy.
Kindly stop.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Surrender by Midnight or Pay the Penalty, China Tells Rioters in Tibet

Just found this article,

Surrender by Midnight or Pay the Penalty, China Tells Rioters in Tibet

Hundreds of Tibetans who rioted in the streets of Lhasa, attacking Han Chinese with knives and rocks and burning shops and homes, must surrender to the Chinese military by midnight tonight (4pm today) or face severe punishment.

Well, it looks like the "punishment" might be happening right now!

[edit on 17/3/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenGalaxy
reply to post by morgul

Another error you made was-Tibetans were not named by English
speaking people-according to a Tibetan friend of mine (a scholar
who studied in London Universities)-it was a name given to tribes
in this area by the Turks-a long, long, time ago in a country far,
far away.

Not everything on the planet was named by English-speaking people.
That's beyond eurocentric. Even a lot in America wasn't named by
English-speaking people. Massachusetts was named by the Wamponaug
Indians of the Cape Cod area. The list is endless in this regard.

It's not what you don't know that's ignorant, it's what you think
you know but don't have a clue about.

This is true idiocy.

Get this in your head: English people chose to call Tibetans "TIBETANS". They could have called it anything else. Just because someone else called them Tibetans and English people chose to call them Tibetans does NOT mean that English people did not choose what they wanted to name these people. Apparently your logic is very limited.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Maybe the athletes can decide that for themselves. If you are paying attention to the conversation and the links provided you would see that talk of boycotting the olympics is not just limited to this thread.

And I disagree with your prediction of it being to late to boycott chinese products. I think this is the perfect time to start.

I guarantee you that if it was up to the athletes to decide they would NOT boycott. But, we all know these decisions are not left to the athletes, do we not?
I am paying attention to this thread, thank you, and I realize there are calls to boycott coming from elsewhere. I am just pointing out that boycotting Olympics will not save Tibet, nor accompish any other of your political goals. It is naive to think so. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Tibet. If they weren't a nation of Buddhist monks they would fight back, like Iraq. Unfortunately, it's a case of the strong preying on the weak. Now that I am aware Tibet holds oil and gas reserves, it's not hard to understand the conflict.

I am sorry but it is too late. Most people can no longer afford to boycott Chinese products. In a way, we have become dependent on cheap Chinese products to live. The same mechanism that cost America and Canada its high paying jobs now sustains our way of life. Do you think that everyone is going to willingly fork over more cash to not buy Chinese, or go without? Just look at where most of Walmart's inventory comes from.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Several athletes have already said they wanted to boycott for various reasons.. the commission said the he would "strongly advise" them to participate..

Millions of dollars in advertising are at risk people.. the Media will push the Olympics and support China..

I know this is a fact.. because the news stations would jump on ANYTHING China did when the Olympics where far off in the future.. now that they are here, they are committed.. once the games are over.. then you will hear our outcry for "justice" .. (more likely just liking to see a thorn in an enemies side..)

But we the people can boycott this crap.. and all the materialistic goods from this State run affair..

I encourage everyone to boycott watching the Olympic games.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
How ironic.

We are berating a country for doing such crimes. We can name every single Tibetan killed by a Chinese person and for some idiots, they can even recite the dates for when they occurred.

Yet do we know a single thing about our own country? (The U.S.)? I have been researching our own country's crimes and they run very, very deep.

Just look at this:

www.google.com...

You call these actions HUMAN??? What are we?? Monsters??? What do other countries think of us?? Most likely as murders.

My point: Anyone who dismisses our own actions as being acceptable for the torturing and sexual abuse of middle eastern prisoners but think another country's equally brutal actions are something to spit at is truly a heartless monster themselves.

There is no arguing to that. There are wolves amongst us just as violent and cruel as the ones we hate.

Someday, we may perhaps realize that we are all the same people. We all originated from the same place. What separates us?

It is but a simple error of the human mind to always group things together. We see two things that are similar, so we can relate them to each other. Therefore when we see one person commit something horrible, we associate everyone else that looks similar to them (here meaning the same race) to have the same qualities and expect them to also commit the same crimes.

I love America just as any other country, but I do not love hypocrisy.

~Greg

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join