It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Security Forces Swarm Tibet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Chinese Security Forces Swarm Tibet

apnews.myway.com

Soldiers on foot and in armored carriers swarmed Tibet's capital Saturday, enforcing a strict curfew a day after protesters burned shops and cars to vent their anger against Chinese rule. In another western city, police clashed with hundreds of Buddhist monks leading a sympathy demonstration.
The violence erupted just two weeks before China's Summer Olympic celebrations kick off with the start of the torch relay, which passes through Tibet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
apnews.myway.com
www.breitbart.com
www.timesonline.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China sets Tibet protest deadline
Riots break out in Tibetan capital
Massacre in Tibet

[edit on 3/15/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The Chinese have been treating the Tibetans as a 'lesser' people for some time now.

The Tibetans want to be a sovereign nation once again.

Initially, the protests were led by Buddhist monks demanding the release of other detained monks. Their demands spiraled to include cries for Tibet's independence and turned violent Friday when police tried to stop a group of protesting monks. Pent-up grievances against Chinese rule came to the fore, as Tibetans directed their anger against Chinese and their shops, hotels and other businesses.

That seems completely reasonable. Of course the Chinese do not want to look weak so they cracked down on peace-loving monks. Nice one guys

China's official Xinhua News Agency reported at least 10 civilians were burned to death on Friday. The Dalai Lama's exiled Tibetan government in India said Chinese authorities killed at least 30 Tibetans and possibly as many as 100.

In this image made from video and provided by APTN, authorities walk down an avenue, Friday, March 14, 2008, in Gansu province, Xiahe, China. Police fired tear gas to disperse Buddhist monks and others staging a second day of protests Saturday in western China in sympathy with anti-Chinese demonstrations in Lhasa, local residents said. (AP Photo/APTN)

In this video image taken on Saturday, March 15, 2008, from Chinese television CCTV, debris and fire are seen on a street in Lhasa, capital of southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region. China moved Saturday to quell the largest and most violent protests against its rule in Tibet in nearly two decades after demonstrators rampaged through Lhasa in an uprising that left at least 10 people dead. (AP Photo/CCTV via APTN)

In this image made from video and provided by APTN, authorities wrestle with a protestor in an effort to take her flag Friday, March 14, 2008, in Lhasa, Tibet. Police fired tear gas to disperse Buddhist monks and others staging a second day of protests Saturday in western China in sympathy with anti-Chinese demonstrations in Lhasa, local residents said. (AP Photo/APTN)

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/15/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

You got it, biggie smalls!

I don't know how anyone could use force on such peace-minded
people like monks...

It proves, once again the true nature of the evil au6th6ori6ties[/c olor]!

[edit on 3/15/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

[edit on 3/15/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
great post biggie...

What times we live in, makes you think loads of issues hot topic issues happening all over the globe has you wondering what has the perverbal global units so tizzied... they have had this problem for a while now an everytime i hear this its about the same, but this seems a bit more violent then normal not on china's side.....

I wish they the best of luck an power to their people, stand up stand up........ stand up for your rights! GOOOOoooo BOB!

Welcome to Jamrock......

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It is a sad world we live in where pacifists can be murdered for nonviolent protest.

The Chinese have proven time and time again they are as ruthless as the rest of the dictatorships.

The ruling Communist party really does not care about the average Chinese citizen, so why would they care about the Tibetans?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Anyone still thinking about going to the Olympics?

Boycott any entity that participates or profits off the Beijing Olympics.

I won't be watching, I won't be buying.

That is; if they even happen.

It's almost impossible to avoid purchasing any Chinese goods, but I'm going to be doubly vigilant and put their crap back on the shelf whenever possible.

I wonder if the PTB in Washington are going to be taking notes on putting down insurrection?

I fear what's happening currently in Tibet lies in America's not-so-distant future as well.

Only the American authorities will be using "puke rays," Active Denial Systems and concentration camps.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
It is a sad world we live in where pacifists can be murdered for nonviolent protest.

In what way was this non violent?

I`m seeing a lot of images from this - and nearly all of them are violent. Arson, beating passers by, looting shops, attacking fire crews (they actually torched a fire engine).

Call it what it is. This was a riot. Don`t try to paint this as a peaceful protest.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Initially, the protests were led by Buddhist monks demanding the release of other detained monks. Their demands spiraled to include cries for Tibet's independence and turned violent Friday when police tried to stop a group of protesting monks.

What part of monks doesn't make sense?

The reasons for the riot/protest was linked to the treatment of Tibetan monks.

Also, what does it matter if it was nonviolent? The Chinese have been oppressing the Tibetans for years now.

They deserve FREEDOM.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Great thoughts, goosdawg! Star!

I never leave the U.S., and won't be watching the Olympics either
because of the Chinese authorities being so heavy-handed.

"Made in China" is already like a 'puke ray' to me! lol

You KNOW the p t b are taking notes, and adding a bunch of sinister
contingencies to putting down insurrection for our near future...

GULP!

Edn

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Its quite sad to see that most of the world is already in the hands of the Chinese. If we were not so dependant of Chinese goods it would be unlikely the Chinese would be hosting the Olympics, similarly if we were not so dependant on the Chinese, the Chinese would be having a much harder time in Tibet. We sit here and do nothing about Tibet because if we do the Chinese will simply reduce trade with us.

Its a similar problem in Burma, where China used there influence over us to stop us taking any decent action against the military junta in Burma.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
China is now blocking YouTube:

THE Chinese Government has blocked residents' access to YouTube after video reports of the protests in Tibet were posted on the website.
news.com.au | China blocks YouTube over Tibet protests

The Dalai Lama speaks:

THE Dalai Lama has called for an international investigation into the "cultural genocide" taking place in his homeland of Tibet.

Speaking from his exiled base in Dharamsala, India, the Dalai Lama overnight launched a scathing criticism of China's decades-long rule of Tibet.
news.com.au | We need help, says Dalai Lama

DHARAMSHALA, India (AFP) - The Dalai Lama, Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, on Saturday said he backs China's right to host the Olympics after Beijing reportedly charged he was trying to sabotage the summer Games.
The statement came after media reports on Friday said China's top official in Tibet, Zhang Qingli, had accused the Dalai Lama of trying to "sabotage this important event and spread rumours."
yahoo news | Dalai Lama reiterates support for Beijing Olympics

The Dalai Lama on Sunday accused China of unleashing a "cultural genocide" in Tibet and demanded an impartial international probe into the situation in violence-hit Lhasa.

Addressing his first press conference here in the wake of the violence in the Tibetan capital since Friday, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader felt said that India has a few limitations as far as China is concerned and was "too cautious" on the Tibet issue.
Hindustan Times | Dalai accuses China of cultural genocide, India too cautious

The talk of a boycott grows louder:

A NUMBER of top athletes are considering boycotting the games in China over the bloody crackdown on protesters in Tibet.

International Olympic Committee vice-president Thomas Back said several sports stars were feeling ill at ease about the Olympic Games.

Mr Bach said he understood the athletes' concerns about the situation in Tibet but said he was advising them to participate.
news.com.au | Athletes considering Olympic boycott

China should suffer a boycott of its cherished Beijing Olympics if it mishandles protests in restive Tibet, Hollywood actor and Tibetan activist Richard Gere said on Friday.

Gere, a close follower of the Dalai Lama and chairman of the International Campaign for Tibet, stressed that neither the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader nor the ICT advocates a boycott of the Summer Olympics.

But he said it was his personal opinion that it would be "unconscionable" to attend the Beijing Games if China failed to deal peacefully with unrest in the Himalayan region – protests that have turned to riots and already claimed several lives.

"I've not been pro-boycott, but I think if this is not handled correctly, yes we should boycott. Everyone should boycott," Gere told Reuters in a telephone interview.
stuff.co.nz | Gere sees Olympics boycott if China mishandles Tibet

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Im with you on that, The Chinese have got away with to much lately and its time for Bush and the congress to call them out. May be wishful thinking however it needs to happen.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher

Im with you on that, The Chinese have got away with to much lately and its time for Bush and the congress to call them out. May be wishful thinking however it needs to happen.

Bush has got away with much more than 70 deaths. I expect nothing from him, until USA starts acting like the most free country in the world they say they are , sorry I will not care what US politicians say, they are just hypocrites . China is no better of course

What I want to see is athletes renouncing this Olympics and in the most public way possible. It's all just a big business. I mean they can all gather in some field and compete against each other. And whoever wants is free to join. No sponsors no nothing, this is the true meaning of sport and Olympics

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

You're right; for everyone involved - from the athletes to the sponsors - the modern Olympics are all about goin' for the gold.

Gold; as in filthy lucre.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I am proud of Tibet and their standing up to Chinese oppression.
In all the time that Tibet has been oppressed, the people of Tibet have kept to a higher moral standing in their protests and have not resorted to despicable terrorist acts like strapping bombs to themselves and killing innocents in order to draw attention to their cause. They have not fired rockets into civilian targets, instead they have worked hard to keep to non-violent means of protest yet they have been treated far harsher then terrorists in other countries.

FREE TIBET!!! End Chinese Oppression!!

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Sadly this is not what I hoped would happen.

Either way. I think its about time other countries, be it USA and in Europe, ME and Africa, show some balls and boycott them.

The Olympic Committee should take a stand.
Claiming they have their ideals at heart and such is all good, until something happens where they should take a stand, and then you do not hear them.
Then they go for the money.

I know there is not that much one can do. I wrote my country's Foreign Affairs department, wrote our Embassy in China, wrote the Chinese Embassy in our country , wrote the OIC and told them what I think of it.

I for one will not look at the Olympic games.

First Burma, now Tibet, those monks have courage, and I wish them all the best and luck.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear this.
They should probably reconsider and just let the monks be monks
I fail to see how their "religion" is hurting the communist agenda.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Since the monks are like other Tibetans asking for more freedome and democracy the Chinese consider them as Political Bhuddism and will not refrain to use violence against them. (Like they don't refrain from using violence on anything they don't like)

Read about the Falun Gong, it's not pretty but it makes you wonder what they are thinking, and makes you realize that a few dead is "acceptable" by their standards.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread Biggie. I've been duking it out on another thread on this same subject. We need as much discussion on this as possible.

I contacted all my local and federal reps this morning and have been shopping for bumper stickers and signes for my house.

I'll post some of the links here that I posted on the other thread that shows how bad the Tibetans have been treated under chinese occupation.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is also interesting. They go a long way to have their say.

news.bbc.co.uk...

An article about the Panchen Lama who went missing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join