It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia: The Country Fire Service - A Voluntary Organisation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well, this relates to Australia, so perhaps it will not be of interest here.

I am fed up with the Federal and State Governments that rely on the CFS Volunteers to go in and save the community from fires with little or no renumeration - These volunteers put themselves in danger to save the community.
CFS
Country Fire Stations

Then that same organisation is considered negligent when people die from a fire, or lose their property: Black Tuesday

The Local, State and Federal Governments are negligent here, not the CFS

Is it any wonder that things may go wrong?

What Government in their right mind relies on volunteers for the majority of it's Emergency Services Personnel? I refer to the State Emergency Services. That organisation is also predominantly volunteer based.

This Government cuts funding to the CFS, SES and yet charges rate payers, an Emergency Services Levy.

This week, due to an arsonist, volunteers worked day and night to contain a raging fire not far from where I live. Some were injured:

March 15 2008
The fire at Willunga that destroyed a house, injured nine firefighters and burnt through 153ha, was officially contained yesterday.

The CFS are being praised and rightly so. In Australia, we have a National Volunteer Day where the Nation gets to thank the volunteers. I don't think it is enough though.

I think it is time the Government paid the volunteers that are so crucial to the community. Perhaps a once-a-year payment to the CFS and SES volunteers?

I believe the majority of Australia feels the same way I do.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
What Government in their right mind relies on volunteers for the majority of it's Emergency Services Personnel?

that is the point... but perhaps I am the only one shaking my head over this?

join