It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that time travel will never happen

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritfilled
....but I have proof that it will never happen.

Its quite simple actually. If time travel were to be invented in the future then we would be seeing time machines come to our age to explore the past.

That isnt proof, that just states the fact that you cant see the future time travelers returning to the past.

Just because you cant see something doesnt mean it isnt there.

Im not saying there 'are' future time travelers....im just saying.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Time travel can't occur backwards for two reasons:

1) If I travel backwards and my destination is THIS universe, then I have DUPLICATED the particles of my body in this universe. That is a violation of the conservation of energy. If that were allowed to occur, then we could essentially set the time travel forward 1 sec and make SOMETHING from NOTHING. It's impossible.

2) If I travel backwards and my destination is ANOTHER universe, then I have DELETED the particles of my body from this universe, and injected them into the other universe. That is also a violation of the conservation of energy as well. If that were allowed to occur then we could theoretically delete this universe out of existence. That is impossible.

Any questions?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

That is not neccessarily true according to the quantum theory.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by earth2]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
okay, I know my post wasnt absolute proof against a time machine, but if their is time travelers then they havent revealed themselves to us (the public). They're either invisible, or in UFO's, or only involved in top secret stuff.
My personal opinion however is that time wont last long enough for the required technology. The apocalypse will happen first, but thats just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

..... The apocalypse will happen first, but thats just my opinion.

I just hope more than 50% of the worlds population is using the law of attraction in a more positive way or we are all doomed.

Thanks alot doom hopers.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
The apocalypse isnt a negative thing, it is necessary to bring about the millennial rule of Jesus Christ. It will do away with this dark age, and bring about an eternal rule of peace and joy.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Ree
"Time travel is false because there is no proof that time travel is true"

That makes about as much sense as a member of an indigenous tribe saying "Bicycles and cars don't exist, or else we would have seen them."

this is true, would you want to have a visit from your future self? id freak out. if you saw your self you may do something drastic about it, thus altering the future.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiritfilled

IMO anything that destroys the Earth is a negative thing.

But that just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking once suggested that the absence of tourists from the future constitutes an argument against the existence of time travel—a variant of the Fermi paradox. Of course this would not prove that time travel is physically impossible, since it might be that time travel is physically possible but that it is never in fact developed (or was cautiously never used); and even if it is developed, Hawking notes elsewhere that time travel might only be possible in a region of spacetime that is warped in the right way, and that if we cannot create such a region until the future, then time travelers would not be able to travel back before that date, so "This picture would explain why we haven't been over run by tourists from the future." That's from wikipedia.
Thats just one explanation. I HATE it when people here say I have PROOF of this or that then post their opinions...jealous too, I guess, since they get the popular threads. Anyway, I'm not a time travel PROPONENT, but you presented no proof. IMO when people title their threads as possessing proof, and then do not; they should be banned.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
If they were here and now, and were trying to fix and set things right, I would think that would be reason enough to lay low, especially if you all would try to stop them from their mission. If you knew what they were up to, and how they were going to fix things, you might try to stop them. No, they world have to remain cleverly disguised, secretive, and elusive. You wouldn't know they were here until after it's too late.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Timecop, yep that's my reasoning (and a good friday night stay in film). I'm not saying i beleive in time travel but i can't completely discount it yet.

If time travel were invented then i'm sure it would be carefully controlled and if someone tried to change things then i bet someone else would come back to stop them. So how would we ever even know about it?

It's all a lovely ball of wool that's been viciously attacked by a kitten on ecstasy, that's how tangled time travel is.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Time travel can't occur backwards for two reasons:

1) If I travel backwards and my destination is THIS universe, then I have DUPLICATED the particles of my body in this universe. That is a violation of the conservation of energy. If that were allowed to occur, then we could essentially set the time travel forward 1 sec and make SOMETHING from NOTHING. It's impossible.

2) If I travel backwards and my destination is ANOTHER universe, then I have DELETED the particles of my body from this universe, and injected them into the other universe. That is also a violation of the conservation of energy as well. If that were allowed to occur then we could theoretically delete this universe out of existence. That is impossible.

Any questions?

It can occur if there's only one universe and one timeline. Your body will just be moved from current time to past or future time.
Future and past don't actually exist. Every event occurring has already happened. It just takes time for everything to happen for a viewer to see it. It's a lag of some sort or something. Like a slow pc that can't complete all commands at once.
But that's all just my opinion

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Many possibilities present themselves here. A few off the top of my head are:

1. Time travel augmenting the past has occured, but we are oblivious to it because of the very changes that were made. i.e. the changes have altered our memories of the original timeline, or an alternate timeline has been created in which we were never aware of or did not ever witness the changes.
  2. Time travelers are invisible or somehow unable to interact physically with our universe.
  3. Time travelers have adopted something akin to the "prime directive" in Star Trek, mandating that they not directly impact the past in ways that are detectable by intelligent life forms (i.e. us) living in the times to which they travel.
  4. Time travel has occured, but we are living in a sort of "waste bin" timeline created by said time travel, but in which it never occured from our own perspective.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984If time travel were invented then i'm sure it would be carefully controlled and if someone tried to change things then i bet someone else would come back to stop them. So how would we ever even know about it?

I would think it wouldn't matter if anything or everything is changed or not, the multiverse provides for all versions, all possibilities. There's probably a version of reality within the multiverse where a time traveler blew up the earth yesterday. And this is a version where that never happened. Yet. All that matters is that you stay alive in at least one vision of reality where you are and happen to still be, and nothing there happens to change that.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I hate to be the party pooper here, but the future does not yet exist, and the past does not exist anymore either. What part of other than "right now" do you not understand?

[edit on 16-3-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Time travel has been an interesting topic for fiction authors, and certain conspiracy theories, but I have proof that it will never happen.

Its quite simple actually. If time travel were to be invented in the future then we would be seeing time machines come to our age to explore the past.

Well to start, that could not be considered proof by any means. We could easily speculate ourselves out of that idea.

For example:
Maybe time travelers are extremely careful not to let us know they're here so they don't change the timeline. Kind of like undercover agents.

or

Maybe they limit their time travel to viewing from a distance only. Possibly opening a floating time portal and moving it about so it's like they're looking through a telescope.

or

Maybe it exists but is banned.

or

Maybe this period of time is of no interest to time travelers.

We do know that time travel is theoretically possible. For example,

Moving forward is easier than backward - that's a "simple" manipulation of the relative speed of the local flow of time. General Relativity shows us how gravity can alter the 'speed' of time, so moving between high and low gravity fields can change how quickly time passes for an observer. As a general rule, the higher the gravity, the slower time passes locally. If you want to jump forward into the future, spend a year or two on the surface of a neutron star or travel near the speed of light. Decades - maybe even centuries - will have passed on Earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I hate to be the party pooper here, but the future does not yet exist, and the past does not exist anymore either. What part of other than "right now" do you not understand?

[edit on 16-3-2008 by skyshow]

Actually the future does exist in the future and the past exists in the past.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I don't know if Time Travel is really possible, although Viewing the past is possible, we do it everyday when we look up at the stars!

In theory, if you could travel faster than the light that has left earth and had a powerful enough telescope you could view the history of the earth as the past light filters into your telescope.

But, this is not really time traveling as much as time viewing like we do every night when we look at stars and galaxies that may or may not be there, we are looking back in time.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It would probably be safe to assume that time travel will become possible at some point in our future. In 5,000 years time for instance, who knows what we may be capable of. However, we will also have found ways of making it safe.

It is highly unlikely that a ‘machine’ as such will have to travel back and forth. It also seems quite probable that a ‘traveller’ could easily conceal themselves if required.

We often quote the simple anomaly of for example, not being able to travel back in time because if you killed your Mother, you would never have existed to travel back in time. If I go back to one of my earlier messages in this thread and edit it, subsequent messages don’t necessarily change.

I would guess lines of possibility spread from any given point in time like an infinite web. The path we follow, is the one we consider to be real. Infinite multiple versions of ourselves are following other paths. Leaping from one path to another would require a change in our state of consciousness rather than a re-location of our physical body.

[edit on 16/3/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow

It must feel great knowing your watch is always right:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join