It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Severe Problem With the "Breaking News" Threads

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
i just Ignore topics like that
dont reply to them.

worst topics are those that dont have any input from the org posters

example

www.abovetopsecret.com...

just copy and paste nothing at all from the OP

and thats how alot of topics are turning out to be
since the old system was taken down

ATSN Rules need to be reinforced.

Im not sure what you are trying to imply. Not only was the headline the same as the original but I did reply several times.

Also, everything quoted was from the original article.

We will need some clarification on your statement.

[edit on 3/16/2008 by Choronzon]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon

We will need some clarification on your statement.

[edit on 3/16/2008 by Choronzon]

I think he is referring to the "leave your own opinion" rule they have about posting news articles.

* Use the comment field for your opinion, spin, or other commentary on the news article. One-line posts or short posts simply repeating the quoted snippet are not enough. We want to see what you think of the story or why you think it's important.

And please remember, its nothing personnel. Yours was probably just the first thread in the list that didn't have that.

Also, it seems my ranting had an effect. ScepticOverlord has outlined some new rules and promised stronger enforcement of the posting guidelines.

I can't begin to thank him enough for taking the time to look at and repair this problem.

Wheres the donate link? If we don't have one then its time to start a new thread/rant.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Lotiki]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lotiki

small over-sight on my part. I typically always add something.

Honestly, I was probably worried that someone would grab it up before I finished posting. It seams like you have a window of about 3 minutes before someone will snatch up new headlines.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lotiki
I have noticed lately some real problems with the "Breaking News" section of this site. It seems that some people are blatantly ignoring the rules about posting a thread there. That forum exists to inform other members about breaking news, NOT to put your political spin on it or sensationalize it to get more views.

Its not hard. There is no need to "sensationalize" the headline or add your spin to it. One of the most despicable things a newspaper does is to sensationalize their headlines and we don't need to stoop to that on ATS.

These are just a few of the many many examples. Don;t be in such a hurry to get those points, take your time and follow the rules. It makes your posts better when you do not need to change the title to convey your point.

Decent people, who have common sense should know that common folks are well-known for putting their own spin (opinions) on the news articles, in their headlines or current-events they've personally experienced or reviewed. Everyone has an opinion, and they're going to share their opinions & change headlines whether you cry about them or warn them to stop doing what you don't like them to do.

They can (and will) change the headlines of their news stories to whatever they like them to be. It's not against the laws of this universe to add or take away bits of a headline. And it's certainly not worth whining or trying to cause us to be worried or terribly concerned about it.

reply to post by Lotiki

So who's really being ignorant? Maybe it's the guy, who wrote this:

Ignorance at its finest.

:-D Welcome to the world the guy. I'm sure you're familiar with the hypocrites & ignoramuses that constantly join your ilk.

[edit on 25-3-2008 by Chad Andrew]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chad Andrew
You & anyone else in their right mind can't stop people from putting their own spin on the news articles or current-events they've personally experienced or reviewed. Everyone has an opinion, and they're going to share it whether you cry about it or not.

To recap, the whole point of this thread was the following TACs for the BAN forum:

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source. If the headline is biased or otherwise inappropriate, provide a descriptive headline that is accurate and reflects the article you're submitting. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be removed.

Posting Your Opinion: Use the comments field for your opinion, spin, or other commentary on the news article. Opinions posted in the snippet section may cause your submission to be deleted.

Spinning the story is encouraged, spinning the title is not.

[edit on 25-3-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

It's not really our problem. It's 1 of Lotiki's many problems with this website. Hopefully that person knows what normally happens at websites like this: People add their own opinions & change their headlines. It's the way of life. Either live with it or try to ignore it.

Having independent ideas & changing headlines is quite normal. We all deal with it.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Have you ever thought about it wasn't the poster that changed the title.

I mean sometimes the news people themselves changes things really quick. It happen to me in my post. It said one thing and by the time I posted it within minutes the news article was completely changed. The exact same article. So it may not always be the posters fault.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

True that!

But, and don't take this personally, one can go back and edit the title, should the OP article title change within the "edit" time limits of the board.

I learned this yesterday when I was respectfully asked to add parentheses to the title of a thread I began because the original article's title - which I used - was determined to be somewhat misleading; no one in San Diego, in the context of the event actually died - it was a symbolic protest rather than a mass suicide of those protesting the deaths brought about by Bush's War.

And it's interesting to note that within the first hour there were 387 views and only two additional posts - one of which was mine.

Once I'd updated the title, the response rate went up.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I make many posts now days to ATS news section, witch is one of the fastest in the world. I enjoy to stay here with you guys, and when I found this Forum in January, I have skip my latest place where I have stayed.

Found a new home!!!

In beginning I cut some headlines, because its faster to scroll down the sections, if only the important is in headline. Not change but cut irrational words. ( I hate long headlines ) But soon i get post from Mod from it, and I change my ways.

Changing the whole headline is 100% wrong, and those threats belongs to another sections.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chad Andrew

I think you misunderstand a few things. The rules are ATS rules. Your insisting that people will do whatever they want anyway is sadly mistaken. Posts deemed to be outside the T&C will be changed to fit the rules, if the poster is cooperative, or trashed if not. So no, people CANNOT just do as they like and everyone else has to "get over it".

Get my drift here?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

This has happened to me too. When we are fast, we can post the threat almost same time when orginal is posted to link first time. Journalists many time change their headlines because they get emails, and calls from using words, and some of their mistakes in using language.

Many of reporters who write English articles, are not English them self, like me, and we all do mistakes.

Good point. Flagged.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Perhaps people are misunderstanding and putting their own spin on the headlines, rather than posting the article (or an excerpt, supported with links) and then input their opinion on the article.

Yeah, I've noticed a few headlines that are not what the original article suggested; But hey, that's why we're supposed to read the source before making a decision, no?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by quintar

Fair point, but changing the headline is against the rules of ATS.

People can spin the story however they want IMO as long as it's within the T&C - it's up to us the readers to make an informed decision of our own by reading the article, so I agree 100% with you on that.

BUT, I think that the OP has a good point and IMO the sensationalising of stories so it looks like something it's not detracts from some of the excellent stories being posted.
I'm not going to name names or pull up specific threads, but an extreme example would go like this;

BUSH ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR WORLD DOMINATION!!! MUST READ!!!

Actual Headline?
President announces new measures to strengthen dollar at world bank meeting

This detracts from the site and gives ammo to those who think all CTers are nuts.

Now I don't think there's anything wrong with reading a little into a story and giving it a conspiracy spin, but that's not what's been happening, and I for one, would love to see this rule enforced more vigorously.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Lotiki

I can understand Choronzon's confusion...

In the OP you say..

Originally posted by LotikiThat forum exists to inform other members about breaking news, NOT to put your political spin on it

Then you say...

I think he is referring to the "leave your own opinion" rule they have about posting news articles.

And bodrul adds in post #2....

Originally posted by bodrul
worst topics are those that dont have any input from the org posters

I always understood it was against the rules to post any article WITHOUT adding your comments... (and have been busted for that a few times
) yet your OP indicates it 'annoys' you when people put their 'Spin' on it...

This makes no sense... if I post an article and add my comments, this would be my 'spin', my opinion on what is in the article and would most likely be biased on what my beliefs may be... I can agree with you on the Tag Line but don't mess with my freedom of opinion

You are not obligated to agree with me

[edit on 27-3-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by Lotiki

I can understand Choronzon's confusion...

In the OP you say..

Originally posted by LotikiThat forum exists to inform other members about breaking news, NOT to put your political spin on it

Then you say...

Way to go Sherlock. Youhave figured me out.[end sarcasm] There are 2 separate things we are talking about,the thread title(where the T&C state very clearly you can't put a spin on), and the comments about the story, where you are encouraged to spin it. You would know that if you bothered actually reading the posts instead of glancing over them looking for something to attack.

I have absolutely no problem with people telling us what they think about it. I have a HUGE problem when they change the story/title itself to try to make their stance seem better.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by Lotiki]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LotikiYou would know that if you bothered actually reading the posts instead of glancing over them looking for something to attack.

such anger...

And just what part of this

Originally posted by zorgon
I can agree with you on the Tag Line...

lead you to believe I missed your point?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
why is everyones answer on here always "MORE RULES!"

jesus, you would think this was a microcosm of congress.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Heh!

Nah, not more rules, just an emphasis on following the ones already in place.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think some need to get a hobby or go out for a walk,something like this has no effect on my day,if it bothers you just ignore it

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join