It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is everyone on ATS dumb as hell?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
If 90% of everyone on ATS is either stupid or retarded like me, then I'm glad I belong here, as I am one of those 90%. And if what you say IS true, then you yourself stand a 9 in 10 chance of being the same way. So it seems that we have so much in common that we might as well be 'blood' brothers! So don't be so hard on yourself, brother.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacreligion

lol this is a great thread.

however, like myself, most of the people I converse with here on ATS are college educated, parents, military, ex-military, and just an older crowd in general.

I know there are many kids on here, but I think we can all filter through the bull and only take to mind the educated posts.

I dont really even notice dumb posts as much as I used to, I just sift through them.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'll have to admit that I agree with the OP, although perhaps not to that extreme. I'm pretty new to ATS and I'm very disappointed in the rampant gullibility and irrationality. Not to mention a handful of posters who I think, honestly, are insane.

I suppose this type of subject matter draws those sorts of people, but it's frustrating to have to wade through the garbage they post. I came to ATS hoping to find a place where people could intelligently discuss aliens, UFOs, etc., but there are a small number of people willing to do that using logic and science. A great majority are gullible sheep who believe some of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

I've begun to learn to use the ignore feature, but that can really make threads hard to read on occasion. I think I need to develop a Firefox/Greasemonkey add-on that removes from view any thread that mentions 2012. That would be a good start.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
the last two posts are completely right. stars to you! that is what i meant to say but let emotions and a late night get the best of me

all of the abovenetwork is a microcosm of the world. lots of lunacy to endure while you find your way.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
No, of course not everyone on there is dumb. That's the short answer.

The long answer of course is that there's a hell of a lot of nuts on there. Some of them... ahh hell, I'll name names. Freeman for example is absolutely whacko.

He even linked a 'shroom' site in one of his posts, which in my opinion almost discredits everything he's ever said, since all of his 'experiences' are probably just drug induced hallucinations and it'd explain why he always makes himself an imporant part of each story.

Also, there's some sort of ridiculous yet common trend on ATS. People seem to think that since they're already within a 'domain' of alternative media, anything that is said is now exempt from criticism or logic.

A hell of a lot of posters on there will get behind anything quickly and simply 'believe' because they want to or whatever. They don't even ask for much evidence when ludicrous stories arise, they just say "YEP, ALIENS ARE OUT THERE!".

I mean, of course I'm talking about the 'bad' posters here, not the ones with any brains. I've seen a couple of people in my short time as a member of ATS who consistantly fight for logic on that board and always make good posts, so it's not all drug crazed nuts posting their experiences while wasted.

Overall it's a board that is a hell of a lot of fun to browse, but it needs a huge logic injection and people need to stop being so tolerant of compulsive liars or frauds who create situations that are impossible to disprove completely for their own benefit.

That's my 2c on the matter!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

As with all forums, there are some dumb people on here.

In fact, I would classify posters on this site into 3 major categories:

• Dumb people: They make up around 50% of the posters (and the world). They have a tough time with knowing when to capitolize letters and punctuation.

• Somewhere in the middle: Those are people such as myself. Sometimes we don't post much, especially on heavy science related threads. I do way more reading than posting, despite how much I sometimes post.

• Intellects and experts: There are many experts on this forum. On the 9/11 forum, you have Griff and Bsbray. Both make posts that are great to read. It's when these people post, I usually stay out of it. Obviously there are a ton of others that I'm leaving out, but these posters make ATS what it is, in my opinion.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It really amazes me that certain individuals have such audacity. If you're all so perspicacious then why do I see multiple issues with spelling, grammar and sheer inability to speak correct English? Shouldn't you all be impertinent enough to at least use an editing program?

If you happen to have a mirror handy, take a good look at yourself. Are you really as blessed with gray matter as you claim?

IMO, this thread is loaded with oblivious attitude.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
No this is not a good thread...

Son don't be wise in your own conceits..... Remember that this..............................

don(')t or a big word like viridescent doesnt mean, I mean doesn(')t mean that people are smart off the bat...

some people are just bad at writing and do not take the time to write perfectly or do not put sentences together as best they can...

Also remember that some people are street smarts and not too much book smarts which I myself actually perfer to the ones who think they are smart but really have pride issues..

Take every one of these people as souls of God which they are. If you (wise master) come across somebody that is or sounds stupid then love them anyays and bare with them...

For they have come to speak their mind and you need to give everybody the benefit of the doubt..

Peace...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Sublime, you are .... well....sublime!

It's taken me a while, and some warnings....but those feel better after 'Applause'....but it's a large community that anyone can join. We don't have to agree, we can argue (civily) and make our points (no pun).

This isn't YT....this invites scholarly discussions, but you know that already!!

WW

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
First start by replying to all those people who you think are smart. Then, after a week or so do some calculus and find out if most agree with you or not. If you find out that you understand everything and other people don't, you are not smart. If you find out that you made a ton of posts agreeing with everybody, you are not smart either.

If you did however found contextual errors, false premises, illogical thinking, rationalized seemingly logical opinions, calculus errors and so on, you may actualyl be smart.

This post, of course, is just that: throw some gasoline when there already is a fire.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'm dumb. There I said it. I am a dyslexic, synesthesiac. I represent the stupidity with dignity.

Whats wrong with being a little dumb? Being a synesthesiac is more fun, I'm sure. It took me the longest time to recognize that not everyone can hear colors.

I do wonder though, who decides who is dumb? The OP? He seems like a reasonable person with the sweeping generalities and conceited attitude. I vote him.

edit:Grammers is teh suck and I'z dumb

[edit on 3-4-2008 by DINSTAAR]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
More evidence as to why I am dumb.

I edit just about every post I have. I can read it like 7 times and just completely miss crazy stuff in my post. Crazy stuff. Most often I don't negate a sentence. I will say "pigs do fly" and read it "pigs do not fly" over and over, but when I change the context of it (i.e. after its posted) I finally catch the error. Sometimes I never catch it and just confuse the heck out of the others.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
I'm dumb. There I said it. I am a dyslexic, synesthesiac. I represent the stupidity with dignity.

Whats wrong with being a little dumb? Being a synesthesiac is more fun, I'm sure. It took me the longest time to recognize that not everyone can hear colors.

I do wonder though, who decides who is dumb? The OP? He seems like a reasonable person with the sweeping generalities and conceited attitude. I vote him.

edit:Grammers is teh suck and I'z dumb

[edit on 3-4-2008 by DINSTAAR]

Dyslexic or synesthesiac has nothing to do with being dumb, though.

What comes to grammar and spelling, I tend to recognize people who do that because they have some problem instead of just being dumb.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Dyslexic or synesthesiac has nothing to do with being dumb, though.

When I was younger, I was considered 'slow'. I still have a bit of contempt in my heart for this, but eventually I figured out how to deal with these issues and managed to do quite well in school. I was just saying how what some people perceive others who see the world different as dumb. I think this is the OPs problem. He doesn't fully understand other people online and attributes this to what he calls stupidity. On the other hand, he could see people who are troll and see them as dumb, instead of the disrespectful ego driven eGangsters they are.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sacreligion

Oh no! Not my ATS points!

Mod Edit: please see Terms And Conditions Of Use 1b.) Profanity. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 15/3/08 by JAK]

You're the one who is as dumb as hell IMNSHO

Still this is a great thread- I would not be honest if I left out that!

[edit on 5-4-2008 by dk3000]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well I didn't read all your responses but my response is this: They must because you're here, right?? Like attracts like dude...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sacreligion
reply to post by Equinox99

That's absolutely brilliant. I'll bring my percantage rate down to 89%

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by GAOTU789]

Sacreligion it appears you have spelt percentage wrong -oh dear!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This may be a minor point but one of two things.

1) If you really dislike most people here (or their opinions) why not move to another site to post and get replies.

2) If ATS is such a wealth of info, why not take info and not post-that way you get all the info and don't have to deal with 100% of people on this site. No, seriously.

P.S.) One of the most important parts of what makes ATS what it is, is that anyone can post questions/theories/opinions. Of course if you can't prove your point, you will be disproved, but the point is you can post your questions/thoughts and or opinions-NO MATTER WHO AGREE'S OR DISAGREE'S WITH THEM.

[edit on 6/8/2008 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Sacreligion,

I think a good example of your argument is the cell phone corn popping thread. Its such an ignorant idea to start off with, then it gets proven to be a hoax...then AFTER it is proven to be a hoax, the discussion still goes on with posts like "Duh, I'm a retard..DUH, I shouldn't use my phone anymore, DUH, my brain may collapse." So I know how you feel. What really yanks my chain is when something is proven to be false and people still don't listen out of STUPIDITY. It's not ignorance anymore once they know the facts and choose to ignore them. But, like one said, we are here to educate, not add to the problem. If you can educate just one ignorant person out of the masses, then it has been worth it.

Just hang in there dude. You have smart ones amongst you.

[edit on 6/9/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Oh shucks, now! Duh, I’m not dumb! I’m a nice smartass! It says so on my piece of hard earned paper. But after participating here in this forum for awhile, my mind has been rendered into a mash of useless glob of mostly fat.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join