It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are There Really Mattress Police?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I've wondered about this ever since I was a child, but never had the nerve to actually pull one of the labels off until a few hours ago. No alarms went off, the police didn't break down my door, but I'm still scared. The phone has been ringing off the hook ever since, but I'm afraid to pick it up. The caller ID says it's my sister, but it could just be a trick just to see if I'm home. I'm not touching it!

Do these things have some kind of tracking devices or transmitters that secretly send your location to the mattress police? I didn't see any wires, but maybe they don't need any. I burned the tag, then drove several mile from my home and disposed of the ashes. Hopefully this will be enough to elude detection.

I read the warning label, but I didn't heed it.. God! Why did I have to go and do it? Was my act of open defiance of the law really worth it? Maybe some things are better left unknown..

It's 2am, and I still can't go to sleep for fear they'll come while I'm dozing. I guess I'll take a couple more No Dozs so I can stay awake just a little longer.

Does anyone know what the penalties for such an act? Am I a criminal now? Will I ever be able to see my family and friends again?

Just a moment, there's someone at my door..

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
It is not illegal to my knowledge. It is illegal to remove the mattress label before purchasing it. It is illegal for the seller to remove it but not the buyer. Most of them it says do not remove tags except by customer.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Assuming you are not trying to pull someones leg with this thread, the answer is NO. There are no mattress police, although the tag is not supposed to be removed prior to sale. Have a good night.

cormac

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

On the other hand, I think you are well aware that there is a good reason for this law about tearing off tags. You do know that most alien abductions occur at night while the victim is sleeping on a TAGGED mattress? Have you ever thought about where these tags come from? What government agency decided it was needed? I think you can see where I'm going with this. We know our government is infiltrated.

Now you have destroyed any chance of being tracked through RFD, and are no longer the protected chattel of one master. You are a maverick, fair game for any that catch you. I can only hope, for your sake, that you are found by one of the more benign races, and not those whose name we dare not speak, who would make you long for the old days of gentle probes.

Let this be a warning to you all. Pull those tags at your own risk.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

One liner: LOL!

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The mattress police are most definitely out there. Please do not let these naysayers tell you otherwise. The proper procedure (it's a little late now I'll admit since you burnt it) is to place the tag under your pillow where the mattress tag fairy can find it. The mattress tag fairy will then leave some bellybutton lint and take the tag to the "land of missing items" where things such as unpaired socks and TV remotes go.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
this is the biggest waste of cyberspace i have ever seen...

can you say chit chat forum ?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
hey, i went a long time wondering about those stupid tags on mattresses and pillows also. lol!!! anything that sits there forever on something saying don't remove me or face imprisionment and fines is sure to be removed sooner or later by someone! I think the answer is that the retailer cannot remove the things....
but, I do like that abduction theory there. am running upstairs right not to remove all the tags, just in case....lol!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I just about spit out my coffee when I read this.
Not to worry though,I rip tags off of everything and no police have been looking for me.
I suppose I'm a rebel at heart.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Source, Yahoo Questions

Cut off your mattress tag already! Don't worry, you won't get locked up. As a consumer, it's perfectly legal to remove the tag from your own mattress. So why is it there? Well, the answer is somewhat involved.

Back in the 1900s, mattresses often contained a host of vermin and disease-carrying materials. To protect consumers, the government required dealers to post tags on their mattresses listing the contents. Later, the Feds added a warning to the content tag with the ominous message, "Do not remove under penalty of law," in big, black letters.

The move may have deterred duplicitous mattress dealers, but it only served to confuse consumers who didn't know that the threat wasn't meant for them. Confronted by fear of prosecution, consumers left the tags on their mattresses. Recently, the Feds addressed the misunderstanding by changing the label to: "This tag may not be removed except by the consumer."

Since then, the Feds have long abandoned the pursuit of tag-tearing merchants, though states like Texas still inspect mattresses for tags in stores. They're probably making sure their laws aren't full of fluff.

You are fine, don't worry about it.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Oh wow. People are taking this seriously.

Yeah... I think the OP KNOWS there is no such thing as mattress police.

Did a great job pulling genuine responses out of you guys though. Good ole Skunk Works.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
if your the owner of said mattress you wont get into trouble.

new topics

top topics

join