It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spotted a strange object in the sky during sunset

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Okay, this happened earlier today during sunset. I have an idea as to what it could have been, but I am skeptical about it.
At about 7:04 pm, U.S. Central time, 3/14/08. I spotted an object just above the horizon in the same direction with the sun setting. Coordinates of my location were about 41*34'27.55"N and 90*31'19.55"W
I brought up Stellarium and checked to see what it might have been. I am guessing it was Pallas, but it says that Pallas is an asteroid in our solar system's asteroid belt.
The full name is Pallas Athena, the alternate name for the Greek goddess Athena.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

It boggles my mind that it, of things why would it be visible so close to the sun if it's supposed to be way out beyond the sight of the naked eye.
Is there something I am missing here?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
Okay, this happened earlier today during sunset. I have an idea as to what it could have been, but I am skeptical about it.
At about 7:04 pm, U.S. Central time, 3/14/08. I spotted an object just above the horizon in the same direction with the sun setting. Coordinates of my location were about 41*34'27.55"N and 90*31'19.55"W
I brought up Stellarium and checked to see what it might have been. I am guessing it was Pallas, but it says that Pallas is an asteroid in our solar system's asteroid belt.
The full name is Pallas Athena, the alternate name for the Greek goddess Athena.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

It boggles my mind that it, of things why would it be visible so close to the sun if it's supposed to be way out beyond the sight of the naked eye.
Is there something I am missing here?

Maybe you could describe it a bit more, it may be atmospheric phenomenen. Like what colour was it, shape etc

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

It was a regular shape like any usual object in the night sky, a point of light, probably rounded. Light orange tint to it.
I was thinking it was a star at first, but then I wondered why it would be visible in such close proximity to the sun.

Edit: Light orange tint might not be the true color since it was in the West by Southwest just a little close to the sunset.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by spec_ops_wannabe]

join