It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Tornado hits Downtown Atlanta

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Possible Torado hits Downtown Atlanta

ap.google.com

severe storm ripped away two panels in the side of the Georgia Dome during the Southeastern Conference tournament, sending debris falling from the ceiling, halting the Alabama-Mississippi State game and prompting fans to flee for the exits.

The teams were sent to the locker rooms, while those who remained at their seats looked anxiously toward the roof. The game was stopped with Mississippi State leading 64-61 with 2:11 left in overtime.

It wasn't immediately known if a tornado struck the 16-year-old building, though a roaring noise was heard inside as the storm moved through downtown Atlanta.

"I thought it was a tornado or a terrorist attack," said Mississippi State guard Ben Hansbrough, who was guarding Alabama's Mykal Riley when a rumbling noise was heard from above.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod edit:headline sp.

[edit on 3/15/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Here is some more crazy weather. I am not a global warming believer but times are a bit strange, or so they seem.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CNN
www.cnn.com...

[edit on 14-3-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I was just coming home about an hour ago from Athens, GA north and actually could see the storm over the city, it was CRAZY!!! Lighting and flashes like I have never seen. When the lightning flashed and you could see the clouds it was definitly spooky...not just the normal dark storm clouds, this one definitly had some energy behind it.

Now I know how the poor people of the midwest feel when these babies come roaring through....

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I live on the Arkansas/Oklahoma border. Trust me, it happens here a few dozen times a year. In a little while you get so good you can read the weather radar as good as the weatherman. And you learn to read the clouds by watching the lightning flashes.

We have small F-1s and F-2s for like 10 months out of the year. Storms break out and small tornadoes form in waves, one right after the other. Naturally, not all of them are on the ground, but skipping down here and there.

You get used to it, and only hide when the big bad boys come out to play.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm about 20 miles west of Atlanta, and all of a sudden just after 1015 it sounded like a bomb went off outside. For about 20 minutes there were just these huge rolling blasts of thunder going off.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
yeah, this is crazy... they are showing some of the damage on CNN... they said that the tornado warnings are finished now... I hope no one was seriously hurt... it's unusual weather for Atlanta isn't it???

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz

Here is some more crazy weather. I am not a global warming believer but times are a bit strange, or so they seem.

Nah, Atlanta isn't that far from the spur of tornado alley that crosses Alabama. Typical spring storm around here, just happened to pop a twister in the wrong place. Did some damage tho, I'm watching it on CNN, thankful I'm not driving through tonight.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
You get used to it, and only hide when the big bad boys come out to play.

As weird as this may sound its probably pretty neat to see the smaller wrath of mother nature. I have never viewed a tornado live, is that good or bad...not sure...I think witnessing one would actually be a cool experiance..minus the damage and possable injuries/deaths it can cause.

But yeah...F4 / F5 I can only imagine the hiding spots one must need when those big boys decide to show themselves.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I'm watching CNN right now and their saying the tornado went right across the front of their building! Wow, this is news that comes but once in a life time right to your doorstep and what...

No video???

edit: To add:

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 3/14/2008 by Hal9000]

apc

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
We've had a few come into the city here in recent memory. Usually they stay up in the clouds until the cell passes the city then they drop and start eating stuff. That or they touch down and track along the Kansas or Missouri Rivers tearing up old industrial warehouses. We have yet to have one of the big ones threaten the city... the mile wide suckers where it looks like the entire storm cloud is spinning right on the ground. Sounds like this one in Atlanta was so small it could have just been a microburst. We get those a lot too. It'll be like normal house - normal house - pile of rubble - normal house.

Wind speed in a tornado can be twice what it is in a hurricane. A hurricane will flatten a building. A tornado will flatten a building, pick up every last splinter of debris, and place it gently a few counties over. It's always cool to see the pictures of trees with 2x4s plowed straight through them, intact, like a straw through a potato.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
We had huge tornados and hail all around Atlanta today. Several monster tornados were caught on rooftop cameras. Roswell, GA was getting 3 INCH diameter hail, and Douglasville was getting tennis and baseball sized hail. Four people have been killed today by storms.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well I just got power back about an hour ago and let me tell you, northern GA took a beating too. Cumming & Gainesville got a ton of rain, trees down all over, some roofs meesed up, power outages, and the hail here was about 1" in size.

There were a few vehicle accidents but from what I know at this time no serious injuries. Mother Nature definitly left her mark in GA today....

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

top topics

join