It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

�Warp Speed Mr.Sulu�

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Does �Life Imamate Art� or does �Art Imitate Life�?

Popular Sci-Fi TV, movies, books seem to be showing us where the human race is headed with technology. Jules Verne�s fiction had predicted nuclear-powered submarines, spaceships, heavier-than-air craft and men setting foot on the moon to name a few. and he was born on February 8, 1828. Star Trek showed us the use of lasers as a weapon, mans exploration of the universe and faster than light speed. Do you think this type of media just inspires us to reach these goals and a direction for humanity to travel? Or do the writers know something we don�t? Is the government and/or aliens preparing us for something, through the use of media by slowly getting us comfortable with these ideas?

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
i can add a necesity to that notable list:

RAY BRADBURY

a freckin genius. read farenheit:451 if you want to see a scary ass view of our world. but not in forms of giant submarines and war planes. everyday things that make what the people do so much more real. tv's that take up whole walls, subways, books on tape, condensed books (like readers digest or sparknote type things) , and, my personal favorite, the fact that we had to make billboards longer because the cars move faster.

RAY BRADBURY

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Do you think this type of media just inspires us to reach these goals and a direction for humanity to travel? Or do the writers know something we don�t? Is the government preparing us for something, through the use of media by slowly getting us comfortable with these ideas?

I don't know about that, but I think the writers are just people like us who can guess very well, and know what ideas sell.

For example there have been many Sci Fi authors who have guessed various things which never came to life and we have passed that stage, so those things won't come to life ever.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I don't think I ever have to mention Arthur C. Clark. The writer of 2001, 2010 and 3010. He also invented the communications sattilite. He was a man way ahead of his time. (Your av got me thinking kinglizard.)

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
If the human race was to hypothetically visit another planet that had less evolved life forms, it would not be wise to let our presence be known all at once to the population. It would cause a mass uprising of fear and may lead us to war with the life forms. I think it would be best to slowly condition them, letting them become comfortable with the idea of an advanced race among them. And the best way to do that is with the media.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Does �Life Imamate Art� or does �Art Imitate Life�?

Popular Sci-Fi TV, movies, books seem to be showing us where the human race is headed with technology. Jules Verne�s fiction had predicted nuclear-powered submarines, spaceships, heavier-than-air craft and men setting foot on the moon to name a few. and he was born on February 8, 1828. Star Trek showed us the use of lasers as a weapon, mans exploration of the universe and faster than light speed. Do you think this type of media just inspires us to reach these goals and a direction for humanity to travel? Or do the writers know something we don�t? Is the government and/or aliens preparing us for something, through the use of media by slowly getting us comfortable with these ideas?

You almost forgot the most important one of all "Beem me up Scotty" aka Cell phone.

I don't really think it's any conspiracy I just think we can create any thing we can imagine as long as there's good reason to create it. The writers are good imagineers in my opinion.

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by outsider]

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
So do you think as long as it is written and people have faith in it it will come to pass?

Could the same be said about the bible?

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   

So do you think as long as it is written and people have faith in it it will come to pass?

Could the same be said about the bible?

Well I don't know about faith or the bible, but I think many things are created with profit in mind, some just want to make the world better etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I have a crazy idea here but do you not think that people into science fiction (it can work the other ways too), are not accessing the future in some way in their brain? What I mean is that they are a certain percentage writing fiction and a certain percent just prophesizing?

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
but honestly, with the whole idea the most things are made out of profit, what is it that makes the bible any different? i put this somewhere else, but the bible is a piece of literature. it sits on the same level on my shelf as bradbury's farenheit 451 and jon stewarts famous pictures of naked people. maybe the bible was a book that was just far ahead of its time, or maybe it was meant to be a work of fantasy, who knows, speaking of other planets and shtuff, they may hold 1984 in the same regard.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
For a disturbing, fascist state society, I would like to add Iian M Banks - he writes about the "Culture" - a utopian soiciety where an individual can do whatever they like.

On the surface it seems like an excellent society - underneath you doscover that everyone is monitored 24/7 and the culture go off to "persuade" other cultures to join them.

Kind of a Nazi Germany with the Star Trek good points.

Very odd.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I think that these writers envision the what will be. Da Vinci, Verne, Rodenberry, Whatever. These people look into the future, and see what is possible. Maybe they are the arcitects of the future.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
H. G. WELLS' "The War of the Worlds" predicted common machines of today including tanks and the atomic bomb.

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Sorry I forgot Wells.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I think that these writers envision the what will be. Da Vinci, Verne, Rodenberry, Whatever. These people look into the future, and see what is possible. Maybe they are the arcitects of the future.

I think you hit it on the head.

architect
1 : a person who designs and guides a plan or undertaking.

I think architect perfectly describes what they do. I just wonder how their visions come to them. Are they just that logical, or is it some type of celestial gift?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Maybe they are the arcitects of the future.

I think you hit it on the head.

architect
1 : a person who designs and guides a plan or undertaking.

I'll have to agree on that, I think power lies through communication. These architects have published materials that influences the rest of us. Thus if you can master your communications skills enough that you can be read & published you influenced future events or inventions.

Originally posted by THENEO
I have a crazy idea here but do you not think that people into science fiction (it can work the other ways too), are not accessing the future in some way in their brain? What I mean is that they are a certain percentage writing fiction and a certain percent just prophesizing?

Could be but we have no way to verify that.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
to quote PM5K...

"we should have listened to HG Wells..."

not my favorite band but still, wonderful line

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I think thats the whole point of sci-fi.... Real sci-fi talent is coming up with things in your future universe, that would likely exist...so in most cases, art is imitating, then expanding on, life.

However, it does happen in the reverse also....see how we name vessels "Enterprise", and there is even a patent for a Mark 4 tricorder of the same name and function....

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The original Nautilus submarine was described in Jules Vern's Novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The USS Nautilus, SSN 571, was the first nuclear-powered submarine in America�s arsenal.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
What if, what ever the "brain" can think of, can exist.

(can) is the key word. Not will but (can)

The problem is that sometimes the thinker and the doer are from radically different time spans. And if the "idea" is lost before the doer can discover it, then the "idea" will never come to pass.

IMO the human brain holds a connective link the power of the universe. But each person holds only a small command of the total "knowledge" thus is requires interaction with other humans to bring about the completion of some "ideas".

top topics

join