It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat? Blame urban planners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Fat? Blame urban planners

www.upi.com

EDMONTON, Alberta, March 14 (UPI) -- The built environment -- the way neighborhoods are developed -- has a key role in growing obesity, Canadian researchers found.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
They may be onto something with this. One of the things I disagree with though is the walkability of neighborhoods. The neighborhoods around me seem to have plenty of sidewalks throughout the development. Maybe it is different in Canada.
I do agree however that there are not enough recreational areas anymore. It seems parks are non existent. And where they do exist, you have to drive there.
I still think though that the obesity rate has a lot to do with folks eating junk and not getting off the couch and away from the TV.
It would truly sadden me if urban planners are purposely making it difficult for citizens to have access to sidewalks and recreational areas.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Hmmm...not sure what I make of this. I do agree that there's a good possibility that fast food places decide to locate to an area where people with lower income could easily access them. And, perhaps there are not as many rec centers as there used to be. Not sure on the neighbourhoods being unwalkable though.

The funny thing is though, that for our family of 5 to eat at McDonalds, it costs about $28. I can buy 2 or 3 healthy meals for that cost. So for people to use the excuse that they can't afford to eat healthy food, but they can afford to eat at fast food places is BS.

Second, no matter how many houses they build, there are still roads and sidewalks one can walk on, even if the parks are getting fewer and further between.

I think this is just one more excuse for lazy people to use.

Michelle

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I suggest reading Crabgrass Frontiers by Kenneth Jackson. He addressed the suburbanization of the U.S. specifically. One aspect he discusses is the creation of the auto culture (created accidentally, I assume). Since we were no longer living within walking distances to the things we need (i.e grocery stores) we aren't exercising one iota!

Pretty academic book and does not address obesity specifically but a good view on how we ended up with sprawl we have now.

Obs out

[edit on 14-3-2008 by observer]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

The funny thing is though, that for our family of 5 to eat at McDonalds, it costs about $28. I can buy 2 or 3 healthy meals for that cost. So for people to use the excuse that they can't afford to eat healthy food, but they can afford to eat at fast food places is BS.

I couldn't agree more. Although, notice how the 'dollar menu' as boomed. fast food places are still raking the people in.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The only person responsible for you: overeating and not getting enough exercise is YOU.

People talk about how power has been removed from our hands and the government now has it. We will not and can not retrieve this power back until the day we actually take RESPONSIBILITY for ourselves.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
I do agree however that there are not enough recreational areas anymore. It seems parks are non existent.

For my area and most others I've visited, this is not the case at all. A few years ago, I would've agreed with you. Since then, I've taken up geocaching (geocaching) and I've found out that there are parks everywhere. I've discovered about 10 of them within 5 miles of my house, ranging from a playground on a small parcel of land to acres and acres of woodland hiking areas.

I've found the same thing while visiting other cities on business. Boston and Philadelphia both are loaded with parks.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

It would truly sadden me if urban planners are purposely making it difficult for citizens to have access to sidewalks and recreational areas.

No offense but I see a flaw in your statement. You indicate that urban planners are purposely making it difficult, when in fact it is our duty a individuals to know how to maintain our bodies and not the urban planners. They just try to make our neighborhoods better to live in and that is it. I live in Canada and I can assure you that where I am from (Hamilton, Ontario) there are plenty or sidewalks, parks and recreational arenas.

Moderation! Moderation! Moderation!
Kids should learn that word because it is one of the most important words to learn. Too much of anything can be bad.

ie. Too much reading can strain your eyes, too much TV can make us lazy and fat, too much work can make us fatigue, too much school can make us stressed, too much fun can make us forget about work/school.

It is up to the parents to help their kids understand moderation. Lead by example. If the parent is sitting in front of the TV for 4-5 hours, chances are the kid will pick it up. In the end it comes down to the parents to help their kids and not the urban planners.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
People are getting fat because they are being systematically starved of nutrients, to the point of fatality. Obesity in America is a deliberate conspiracy.

Please visit this link...
"Let Them Eat Cake!"

[edit on 3/15/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Umm.....What? Let them eat cake? That is how you get fat obese kids. You must teach them to self restrain, and teach them moderation. If you give them a full cake today, then a full cigarette tomorrow and then maybe full alcohol bottles the next day. The Key term is Moderation.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
the only sane person in this thread is angry danish. if you think there's a conspiracy for the overweight then you've lost sight of personal responsibility in the grand scheme of things. the only conspiracy is large businesses like McD's placing themselves in any accessible area. They are not making the population eat their food and refrain from exercise. All of that responsibility falls on your shoulders. America is failing because of this attitude. Everyone's always trying to justify some stupid bullsh!t or say that someone else is to blame when the individual knows it's their own damn fault.

Technology has forced America into failure. If you don't understand what I mean, you have no purpose here.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

did you check out jackinthebox's link? let them eat cake thread looks at how even though many folk are fat, they seem to be malnorished (sp?). possably due to the nutient content (or lack of) of the food they eat.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by morganathefey

Yes!, no I'm sorry I lied. I didn't read it. I should have, I know I should have but I am too tired to click on the link. It's this damn obese!

[edit on 15-3-2008 by Equinox99]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

You indicate that urban planners are purposely making it difficult,

C'mon Equinox....didn't you read my line?
Here it is:

I said IF. I do not know if they are intentioanlly doing it or not. That is why I said if. The study is the entity that is claiming that they are definitely doing it.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacreligion

Hey look, the smartest 23 year old to ever walk the planet has joined the conversation. Apparently he is all knowing about everyone and how they do not use their logic and reasoning abilities. You think because someone posts something that they automatically believe it. That is not good logic IMO.
Here is what I think of this as I said before.]

I still think though that the obesity rate has a lot to do with folks eating junk and not getting off the couch and away from the TV.

So I guess I think it is the planner's fault.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well, I have an example to substantiate the OP's claim to some degree. While it may not be outright intentional, it is symptomatic of the poor decisions made by our political and business leaders over time.

I grew up in a suburban neighborhood that did not have sidewalks. In that neighborhood was a middle-school. Anyone who lived in that neighborhood was not allowed to attend that school, but had to be bussed across town instead. The reason? Students from the neighborhood were within the one-mile limit that would require them to walk. But since there were no sidewalks, the school claimed they could be sued if a sutdent was hit by a car while walking to school.

Nevermind that the schoolyard was treated as a public park, and I walked back and forth from there several times a day, almost every single day the whole time I lived there. Of course, times are different now. My friends and I would always gather there to ride skateborads, ride bikes, play basketball/baseball/soccer/hacki-sac, go sleigh riding down the hill out back in the Winter, watch for UFO's at night, or even just walk over there to hang out. (We actually even launched a few "UFO's" from the schoolyard!
) But we were the last generation to do so. Me and my friends had followed the tradition of the older kids in the neighborhood, but none followed us, despite the many younger kids in the neighborhood.

I remember standing there one evening before moving out of the neighborhood. It was downright eerie to me. It was a nice day, and I was the only one there. It actually made my heart-ache, remembering all the hours spent there, with all of those people who came around. Lots of memories. I felt like the last of the Mohicans.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There are different reasons for obesity but the one of the biggest culprits is laziness.

"It takes too long to cook a healthy meal"
Really?
How long does it take to go to the drivethru, order, collect/pay drive home and eat?

Takes me about 20-30 minutes to cook a healthy meal from scratch and eat it.

We live in a culture where the car is god, and people don't want to pay all that money for a car, and then walk.

How many people do you know that jump in the car to drive what is a five minute walk?

We also have a "NOW" culture - "gotta have it now, gotta do it fast, gotta save time"

I'd suggest that the only time people are saving is that at the end of their lives, by cutting years off it.

We have become a culture of time-obsessed, money-obsessed, self-important, self-indulgent, lazy people.
Is it any wonder society is in such a state?

[edit on 15/3/2008 by budski]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I am simply amazed at the lengths that some people will go to DENY accountability for something.

Overweight? Blame your zoning board or planning commission.

Got caught smoking dope? Blame the taxpayers for paying taxes to pay police who then caught you.

Dog get run over in the street? Blame Goodyear for making round tires that fit on cars allowing them to travel on the street.

This current trend of finger pointing scares me. People need to grow up.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

No man is an island. We are all dependent on the decisions of our socio-economic leadership. Or does your logic dictate that North Koreans starve to death because of poor personal choices?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No. My logic says that if you're obese, it's probably because you're eating too much.
And yes..Every man is an island (biologically and/or metaphorically speaking).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join