It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats with this banner!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Umm....

Am I supposed to feel bad about deformed children by looking at this banner?

Whats with the advertising ethics here?

How is this different than that old guy we have all seen on TV ads using little starving Africans to promote a company that makes money off you.

Sure someone will say...."But they are starving kids!"

Everyone is aware of this problem, no need to make money off misfortunate
kids!

If something should be done about this, why on such a small scale?

Why not governments worldwide collaborate to solve peoples problems?

Why.......THERE IS NO PROFIT IN HELPING PEOPLE!!!!!

Thats why.

So my question is this.....

Whats with the banner?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

First I want to address the fact we have minimal control over what banners the networks we sell our inventory to present. Basically we have a contract that limits the things against our TAC and that's about it.

Secondly, a charity that doesn't advertise isn't going to raise much money. I don't know what you mean about "no profit" , 99% of charities are NPOs (non profit organizations) they aren't allowed to make a profit per their own charters.

They have to hire people to collect the money and make sure it gets to the people that need the money and or services, those people don't work for free anymore than you or I would. They also have to advertise or nobody will know they exist right? I mean how can you expect to help people if nobody knows you are trying? How can you expect to raise money if nobody knows you are trying to raise money?

While the "pitiful images" methodology turns me off personally as well, it has proven to be the best form of advertising for charities ever and that's why they employ it.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

I don't know what you mean about "no profit" , 99% of charities are NPOs (non profit organizations) they aren't allowed to make a profit per their own charters.
Springer...

non profit is the old incorrect term. it implies no profit is made.

not FOR profit is the true term because as you said the .org does need to profit a small amount just to stay viable by paying its bills like anyone else.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This particular charity (which I support) provides free surgical correction for children with facial deformities. How else can it illustrate what it does?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I am humbled by your presence. Thank you for your time!

First off, I made a banner to portray my point a little clearer.

I didn't use a deformed kid to get my point across, and this definitely wont make me feel bad by seeing it.

See?

That wasn't so bad.

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Attractive banner but lacks any info. Help a fellow human, in what way? Adult or child, help with what, pay for college?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Your supposed to click and find out, its a banner for a website.

The banner is just getting you to click the link.....

It doesn't have to have all the info on it, it just needs to serve one purpose.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I wanted to mention this as well.

At first glance this banner made me laugh out loud. Then once realizing that it wasn't a kid making a funny face, I stopped abruptly.

This, I'm sure, was not the intended response for a first glance viewer.

Thats where I am coming from.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Personally, I'm more offended by the blinking and/or shouting ads.

You know, the "You're the millionth visitor," and the retarded shouting smilies ads.

And don't even get me started about the "mainstream" ads that are beginning to show-up. (Choke vs Poopsi anyone?)

Concerning the ad in question consider this; at least they're not using the same pathetic image technique guilting you into donating to find a cure for hemorrhoids, or toenail fungus.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Very true indeed.

Shameless none the less

top topics

join