It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Not sure where to put this post, so I guess Current Events is good enough. I want to know why. WHY do we have to pay taxes time and time again on the same things we buy. My husband and I just got new cars, and we bought them used, and we paid a sales tax. And when the dealership bought them from the auction, they paid a tax, and when the aution got them from the rental company they paid a tax, and when the rental company, got them from the manufacturer, they paid a tax too!!! Thats five taxes on one car alone!!! How many times does the government make us pay taxes on the same things over and over again, and WHY????? Isn't one time enough?
When we used to live in South Carolina, we had to pay a luxury tax on vehicles, boats, etc... once a year. The tax was based on the value. So year one, we pay a tax on a car, then year two, we pay tax again, on the SAME car, just its a little less. I mean COME ON, Taxes are friggin outrageous!!! WHY?????

[Edited on 2/20/2004 by smilingsarah82]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Maybe this should be in BTS.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Why BTS? this is something that happens evey day to everyone!! we can talk about 'jesus being a black man' caffeine being a risk good vs evil so why not taxes??

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Do you think a black Jesus who drank risky caffeine while fighting the battle between good and evil would post here? I didn't think so!!!

Actually, I had just always wanted to say that. You helped me to realize my dream and I thank you for that.

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by Mandalorianwarrior]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
My guess is that the city, state, and federal governments all have this notion that by sticking their hands deeper and deeper into the citizen's pockets, they're actually doing them a favor.

So far, the town on one side of me has upped their local option tax to two percent, the one on the other side adopted a two percent local option tax within the past 7 years or so. Neither town has actually done A THING that had to do with the reasons they used to con the citizens into allowing the taxes, yet the taxes still exist OFFICIALLY for the reasons given years ago, yet the school buildings are still in shambles and the city streets rarely even have holes patched, let alone complete resurfacing *both of which were promised*.

I feel that's how it works all the way up, con the people into taxes, promise them nice, pretty things, screw them in the butt with no lube, fu�k their dog, sh�t in their purse, and run out the side door with no kiss in the morning. Look at Federal Income Tax. This was supposed to be a temporary thing to help foot the bill for WWII, yet now it's an every day part of everyone's lives. One quarter of my paycheck goes to the Federal Government, another 7 or 8 per cent to the State. Then comes the 2% local option sales tax, the taxes I pay when I relicense my cars, property taxes, etc. I'm with smilingsarah82 on this one: WHY?!?

In short, my answer is that the government needs to put it's hands deeper and deeper in to the citizens pockets to line their own.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well hello the government wants some money form it

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by smilingsarah82
Not sure where to put this post, so I guess Current Events is good enough. I want to know why. WHY do we have to pay taxes time and time again on the same things we buy. My husband and I just got new cars, and we bought them used, and we paid a sales tax. And when the dealership bought them from the auction, they paid a tax, and when the aution got them from the rental company they paid a tax, and when the rental company, got them from the manufacturer, they paid a tax too!!! Thats five taxes on one car alone!!! How many times does the government make us pay taxes on the same things over and over again, and WHY????? Isn't one time enough?
When we used to live in South Carolina, we had to pay a luxury tax on vehicles, boats, etc... once a year. The tax was based on the value. So year one, we pay a tax on a car, then year two, we pay tax again, on the SAME car, just its a little less. I mean COME ON, Taxes are friggin outrageous!!! WHY?????

[Edited on 2/20/2004 by smilingsarah82]

Well, I don't know the exact reason sarah but I do share your concerns. I ask myself that same question everyday. "Is it really neccessary to tax us on everything we do and buy?" I don't think so but the government does. I don't think there's anything I don't get taxed on. Further more I believe the government will find a way, no matter what the situation is, to take as much as they can out of our pockets. And you know what the tradgedy of it all is? Alot of it has no value on our economy as the website below shows.

For example: www.taxpayer.net...

This site clearly shows how much of our taxes is wasted. And what does the government keep doing? Taxes us more and more. The majority of them don't seem to care what we think. In fact I believe our taxes are supposed to be use to create new jobs for people but what do we see right now? Millions of people are out of jobs. That is tragic. I used to believe that our taxes were going towards programs to help improve our economy and education but I've seen in recent studies that education has dropped significantly.

Oh, and just on a side note, I've never gotten money back from the IRS since I started working. In fact for the past two years I've owed money to the IRS. And I'll bet you that if I tried calling them and asking them where that money is going, they would either tell me they don't know or I wouldn't be able to get a hold of somebody at all.

Taxes in this country are outrageous! It needs to be controlled and the tax code needs to be changed!

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
because freedom isnt free.

and its fun to steal peopls stuff

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
because freedom isnt free.

and its fun to steal peopls stuff

You know SCAT, the government probably thinks that it is fun what they're doing.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
yes, yes they probably do. and ya know what, ibet their at home o their giant ass "I SEE ALL" computers laughing their heads off because theyve got us inside out and upside down.

and theyve got your money.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
i think we pay taxes so the state or goverment we have cant spend more and live bigger and get richer like income tax that sarted in ww2 to help pay for the war and than it was suposed to have been stoped but as u can see we still pay, so when u buy anything u have to pay to keeep it just property tax u already bouth it but u have to pay tax on it every year or u lose it? that doesnt make andy scence if u bought it isnt supose to be yours?

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Why?

Because they can.

I mean, what are we going to do about it? Nothing. Most Americans are a bunch of mindless tards that sit around and bitch about stuff but never rally and change things they don't like. They'll keep on screwing us over because we let them.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Well to me, in a way taxes suck and are bad, but also, I feel that in some way some how it comes back to us. Like when we pay our income taxes, it sucks ass but we pay them because if we didn't pay them, we would have a #ty ass country. Income tax pays for so much of the stuff we use everyday and don't realize. But regardless, they suck anyways!

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
To me it is my civic responsability.

Unfortunatly, I also feel this has been taken advantage of to extremes.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
i think the problem stems from the fact that the govt has become a corporation...concerned with the bottom line...remember it's not your bottom line, it's thier bottom line.the govt has become soooooo big and corupt that it needs more $$ to survive as a corporation let alone as a govt.. if politicians actually did thier jobs the givt wouldn't be in the state it is in.

your income is taxed..when you buy things you pay more tax and then you pay taxes at the end of the year...oh, and remember...that 7% of your salary is taken before you ever see it in the form of S.S. tax...7.6% on your check and 7.6% from your employer....where do you think that 7.6% from the employer is coming from??? off the top of your check (what is 7.6% of your current salary??) before u ever see it and do you think you will ever see that 15% taken for so so security???...so smilingsarah82 this should piss you off even more
...i'm right there with you

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Mandalorianwarrior - lmao
kaoszero - the governments pockets are already lined with gold, how much more do they need?
mrmulder - thanks for the link
Scat - very true
Mapes - i feel the same way, if you buy it it should be yours one tax total, not one a year
worshipthemoon - how are we not supposed to let them? there really isnt' anything we can do but bitch, maybe if enough of us complain, someone may do something ( yeah right, but its always worht a shot )
clearmind - yep very pissed off

i just feel that we pay way too much in taxes, i mean there are a few places that you can live in the states, and there arn't any sales taxes, but its so outrageous to live there, that you might as well just stay where you are, and pay the friggin taxes. i don't mind paying a tax once, but when i have to pay it , again and again, and after someone before me payed the same thing, its just going a bit to far. how much richer does the government have to get? we are sending our money, to help other countries, when our own homeless here starve to death. we need to help our own people first with our outrageous taxes, instead of starting wars, and helping other countries!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mapes
i think we pay taxes so the state or goverment we have cant spend more and live bigger and get richer like income tax that sarted in ww2 to help pay for the war and than it was suposed to have been stoped but as u can see we still pay,

Actually, in the UK we have had Income Tax since the Napoleonic wars (with a short repeal in 1802). As far as I know, Napoleon had his arse kicked in 1815, so why are we still putting up with this crap ?

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk...

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The reason taxes are so high is simple, the government is terrible in using money. A certain percentage of it goes into people's pockets. A certain percentage of it is outright wasted and the rest is mostly poorly utilized. Maybe 10% is spent wisely by my standards.

Look at all those government workers, making good money with the best of benefits and with a high degree of job security (who has that anymore, right?). That is where a third of the money goes. A third goes towards servicing debt on past money borrowed and squandered. The final third goes towards actually doing something which half the time is not done right or cost effectively.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
well, if they are gonna tax the crap out of us, the least they could do is spend our hard earned money on something good, like i said before, helping OUR people first, not helping other countries!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Speaking of which, I just ran across this:

"U.S. to require that recipients of its foreign aid must be worthy"
www.sltrib.com...

Now to find an article that defines "worthy".

regards
seekerof

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join