It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Strike inevitable?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i watched a program called 'Alien safari' the other night on national geographic.

a part in it said that earth had 10 major objects in orbit around it .. 1 is our moon .. 4 are bits of the appolo missions... the other 5 are asteroids .........

a thought struck me and please correct me if i am wrong here people who are knowledgable in this area but....

If we have 5 Asteroids orbiting the earth , with no internal power generation , wouldn't the friction of being caught in earths gravity slow them down eventually?. and if something slows down in orbit around the earth does it not eventually spiral inwards and hit the earth..

What if some of these asteroids are global killer size? is it inevitable that one will eventually decay in orbit and hit the earth...

worse yet do they know this to be true and are hiding it from the public to avert mass panic.

Or can things once caught in orbit around the earth escape on thier own? (excluding collision with random object , wouldn't like to leave our fate to that chance).
and wander harmlessly off?

does anyone know the proximaty and / or size of these 5 asteroids orbiting the earth?

[edit to get rid of stupid title
]

[edit on 14/3/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I would imagine that if they are "Global Killer" size then they would be clearly visible. Its quite easy on clear nights to see mere satellites passing over so i believe huge asteroids would not go un noticed

new topics

join