It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperate owners burn homes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Im aware that there are people who do this for insurance money.
And theres no other reason for it to them.
But nowdays this is becoming more and more common.
Its becoming a sign of the times.
Desperate people who have no where to turn for help are resorting to crimnal ways,to try and live.
This is America coming unglued.
When good people have to resort to this,theres a threshold being crossed in this country,and I can only see things getting worse.

(CNN)-Facing foreclosure, some homeowners set fire to their own homes. CNN's Chris Lawrence reports.

Video here
www.cnn.com...#/video/us/2008/03/14/lawrence.burning.homes.cnn

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

That's not being desperate, that's being vindictive and spiteful.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico

That's not being desperate, that's being vindictive and spiteful.

I agree. Arson and insurance fraud are are not committed by people who are simply desperate.

Desperate people might take on an extra job or prevail upon the goodness of family and friends, but once you get into the realm of arson and fraud, there are other dynamics at work.

Here's a better link:

video.aol.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

So then according to this logic I am desperate if I burn down the place that employed me if I get fired.

Or that I should just blow my car up or dump it in the river if I am being threatened with repossession.

Sorry I have to agree with chromatic and GradyPhilpott on this. This is vindictive and spiteful not to mention greed. But I see greed being one of the bigger issues in the public today not desperation.

Raist

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Take a second job!?
Most people are lucky enough to have 1 job.
And those people are praying that,that one job dosent get outsourced overseas somewhere.
A second job,where are all these first jobs?
If you havent noticed the high rate on unemployment,then you should stop and look around.
There isnt always a simple way out.
Im not condoning arson,im just pointing out what desperate people are doing.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Yarr!!! You #$@#$@$ bank you can't have my house!!!! Doesn't sound desperate to me, just spiteful.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Hmm..

Apparently, all of you have missed the point.

First.. the reason these people are burning their homes is not for insurance claims ALL THE TIME .. there have been many reports of people burning their houses because they believe it is THEIR house, not the bank, and the bank is stealing their house so they figure "If they kick me out, il burn it so no one gets it" ..

One guy on the CNN report had "not a penny to his name" .. burned his house the day he was evicted simply because he did not want the bank to have his house..

Personally, I think its wrong.. but I don't blame them. When you buy a house you get the notion "this is home" .. then you fall on hard times, and they take your home.. people are naturally by nature defensive and territorial..

Basically the economic and emotional strain of the process is making normal typically very nice people do irrational and stupid things out of emotion or as a desperate way to make money to survive and keep their standard of living (note most of this is happening in the middle class, the class suffering more strain economically then any other class of citizen)

Should burning your home be considered ok? No .. absolutely not, even as much as I hate banks, its still a crime..

But honestly its no different then those who commit credit suicide by "walking out" of their mortgage.. screwing the bank, and doing it to spite the bank .. especially those who get a loan for a cheap house, then dump their old house and mortgage and having it excused from their personal debts due to recent laws being passed to protect mortgage users..

If anything, as the OP has said..

This is an indication to the times.. people with NOTHING to loose will RISK EVERYTHING ..

And that is the beginning signs of revolution .. when the Middle Class is ill, the whole damn country is ill.. and if you can't see that, your part of the problem.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's easy to judge harshly when it's not happening to you. The people in the video didn't seem hateful and spiteful. Even the sheriff said they are good people in desperate circumstances. The concept of an American middle class appears to be going down the toilet. Wealth distribution is now back to what it was in the 20's. The not-rich are getting poorer and the rich are getting greedier. Where will it end?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
When you buy a house and it has a mortgage, that house belongs to the mortgage holder.

People who believe otherwise are not playing with a full deck.

Bitter and vindictive describes at least one of the instances here and those factors probably played a role in the other cases.

I do agree that fraud is fraud, but there is a difference in defaulting on a loan and committing insurance fraud to get out from under the mortgage.

If you default on a loan, the lender will get the money back one way or the other, unless the client sues for bankruptcy.

When you burn down the house, you are committing a potentially deadly act. You are affecting insurance rates in your neighborhood. You are defrauding an insurance company, all in the hopes of not having to pay another dime.

I don't think anyone here is missing the point.

There are many desperate people who will stop short of breaking the law.

[edit on 2008/3/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

You said"There are many desperate people who will stop short of breaking the law. "

Well that may be true,for now.
And you speak of law,well how do you expect people to uphold it,when its own government refuses too.
This government has seen itself above the law for years now.
And its the government that has placed America in this financial crisis,not its people.
The people are just the ones suffering from it.
We didnt spend trillions apon trillions of doallers fighting a pointless war.
We didnt drop the dollar down to the worth of toilet paper.
We arent the ones outsourcing jobs to other countries.
The money spent in wars,could be spent here to bail its own people out.
You know,like when the government or the banking institution needs a bail out,they get it,the average person has no such recourse.
I do not condone arson,but I dont blame these people for what they have done.
There is a point in everyones life,where enough is enough.
More and more people in this country are getting to that point.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You're hijacking your own thread.

If you think that these perceived wrongs by the government justify arson and insurance fraud by Americans, then I feel very sorry for you.

That is pure blather.

Originally posted by Black_Fox
I do not condone arson,but I dont blame these people for what they have done.

If you do not blame, then you are perforce condoning.

[edit on 2008/3/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I tend to think that under normal circumstances, these people would not have done this.

Does the video explain why they lost their homes in the first place? The banks don't give you a mortgage if you can't afford it.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Drastic times call for drastic measures and if the banks are DELIBERATLY ripping people off then what weapons do the regular people have? I would personally strip every piece of material and sell them then destroy my house instead of burning it but most people dont know how to do that properly but I used to work demo so I can.

Also maybe if enough people do take drastic actions like this than maybe just maybe enough people will be outraged and pursure the actual crooks (bankers). I dont think burning is good because it can harm other people but using wenches to tear the walls down works fine and will leave one hell of a mess! Sorry but people get very angry when they get ripped off for their homes and I am totaly on their side and understand their actions.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

THANK YOU

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez

The banks don't give you a mortgage if you can't afford it.

how do we explain the current record foreclosures then?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Yeah that line is the biggest load of hooey ever. All the banks have to do is show you the terms. If you can't afford it that's your problem.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
To all the elite's or children on here who have never had to deal with money heres a scenario. The banks gave them a loan and said you owe (hypothetically) $750 a month. The people said ok we can do that. Signed. Then the bank said, oh sorry you owe us $1050 now. They however can't pay that, because they were told $750. To someone with money, or to people who don't have money to deal with, it's nothing. To people with $100 left over after they pay everything, there now -$300 in debt, with the same job and the same saving they always did. Yes if you read the stack of fine print and can understand the legalese it might say roving point, or variable rate, etc. But let's be honest, most can't understand that, and most can't afford lawyers to look it over, therefore, banks knowing this, took advantage of them. My wife and I are doctors, we will be fine no matter what happens, we can go to another country, its not an issue. But we both came from poor homes, and we know what it's like to scrimp and still get screwed because everything is set up against you. So burn it down, take no insurance, and show them you won't stand for it. On a side note not on topic. When my wife and i made $7000 a year, we paid taxes. Now, we make more then 40x that a year literally, and I pay NO TAXES. We have money, I could pay taxes, but i don't have too. Yet people who have only $7000 had to, it's unbelievable.

[edit on 3-16-2008 by Ruggeder]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
While I can understand the desperation here...once you've hit the bottom you pretty much feel helpless and hopeless. But come on, there have got to be other solutions. Rent out a room, have family move in, take a second job if that is an option, cut back where you can until you're back on your feet. Sell the house BEFORE you get in over your head and move somewhere with better options (more jobs, cheaper rent etc). Yes it would be horrible having to pick up and move...leaving behind friends and family, but it can't be much worse than setting fire to your own home.

These people are making it worse for themselves. Now not only are they in debt, and homeless, but add criminal charges of arson and jail time.

Not to mention as another poster said, increasing insurance amounts for the area and everyone in general. They are also putting others at risk. If the fire spreads to neighbouring houses, then what?

I don't know what the solution is...I truly feel bad for people that see this as their only option.

Michelle

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This will only serve to make insurance companies doubt honest people. Every time a house burns and they have to pay, the rates go up for everyone so these people are not desperate, they are un caring and it affects us all.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I agree with you antar and forgot to include in my original post that I have first hand experience with the backlash from this sort of thing insurance wise. The area I live in was notorious several years ago for people setting fire to their homes and having their cars "stolen" to collect insurance money.

We were not aware of this problem, as we weren't familiar with the neighbourhood that well. We signed the papers, closed the deal and went ahead securing some house insurance. After 100's of phone calls, begging pleading and eventually tears, we realized that we were screwed. Not one single insurance company in our area would offer us insurance because of the bad reputation. We were closing the house in a month and the bank would not give us the mortgage if we couldn't get insurance.

Luckily we were able to find the one company that would insure us...at double the cost of comparable homes in other areas! To add insult to injury, once we moved into the house, our car insurance increased $50/month!

That was in 2004, and thankfully, the insurance companies have since lifted that ruling and we were able to shop around for better deals..but it was scary and costly for the first few years here.

So in the end these people are punishing their neighbours, not the bank...

Michelle

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join