It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four held nude in jail seek damages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Four held nude in jail seek damages

www.detnews.com

For years, Saginaw County deputies had a policy of stripping prisoners they deemed uncooperative.
Neither side disputes the jail policy of stripping uncooperative prisoners -- and if they refused, using force, chemical sprays and scissors to remove clothes. The question for jurors is whether the treatment scarred the prisoners so emotionally they deserve monetary damages.

The plaintiffs claim they were humiliated by being exposed to jailers and prisoners of the opposite gender.

Prisoners who refused were subjected to takedowns that included body blows, according to the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, which joined the suit. Nude prisoners were then watched by guards of the opposite sex.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I really don't know what to say.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked.

How the hell could they get away with this?
Is this not against the law, or are the police a law unto themselves?

My opinion?
YES, they deserve damages - and the people who implemented and carried out this policy deserve jail.

It's easy to say no in a society where everyone seems to litigate, but I think in this case there really is a case for damages.

Lots of them.

And criminal charges against the perpetrators of this heinous policy.

I'm actually fuming about this.

www.detnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. Add another one to the mountain of evidence proving the return of the Gestapo.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What does that even mean, "uncooperative"?

I have a serious problem with law being taken in to the hands of people who do not make the law, and merely enforce and protect it.

I do not believe there is a law stating "if they're uncooperative, make them stand nude in front of the opposite sex". I don't believe that for one second.

Therefore, this action was not granted by the law.

They're in prison for a reason. I understand that. But you can't simply say they deserve it just because they're criminals. They're serving their time. They are in prison, they are doing their time, and they are out of free society. That was their punishment. Their punishment, as determined by law, was to serve that time, not to be subjected to nude embarrassment, and no doubt inappropriate sexual comments on the part of the opposite sex cops and prisoners.

If they're being insubordinate, put them back in their cell. If they physically harm another person in the prison, add charges.

But stripping them down and subjecting them to that embarrassment for anything is not only a stupid punishment, but is also not granted by law.

I agree with awarding them damages.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
...And people still say Abu Ghraib was an isolated incident.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

They weren't in prison - they'd only been arrested!

One for DUI - who was then forceably stripped, after having violence perpetrated against their person.

I honestly don't know what to say - criminal charges should be brought at the very least...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Yep. Society has made people feel their most vulnerable or uncomfortable when they are nude in public or in front of others who they do not trust. So that's used on people to instill fear and encourage subordination of authority.

It's practiced in prisons both foreign and domestic. How long before it's mainstream?

We've even heard of these strip searches on CHILDREN in schools.

It's an intimidation tactic. People in positions of authority are being instructed to perform these acts against people's comfort and vulnerability to encourage obedient masses.

Prisoners (and "terrorists") are the first because "no one cares" about them. Then it's our children because they're being primed for the future status quo. It won't be long before it's the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

They could have been a mass murderer and it wouldn't have been justified. They may be a monster for being a mass murderer, or a rapist, or a pedophile or what ever the scenario may be, but the fact remains that it is not allowed by law to do this to prisoners, no matter how much of a 'monster' they are considered to be.

But yeah, DUI, that's even worse. That's just absolutely unnecessary, pathetic and disgusting. Yeah, they made a mistake in putting others in danger for something so stupid. But to serve their time AND be subjected to unnecessary treatment, and possibly the perverse judgment of these officers who do not have authority over MAKING law, and simply enforce CURRENT law? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

[edit on 3/14/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Incredible, and if this came out before we were so desensitized by Abu Ghraib, Guantanimo, and "leaders" holding respected offices arguing that torture is ok, this would be a clear case of police brutality, circumvention of due process, and/or cruel and inhuman punishment.

It is truly sickening that such morally depraved people have been put into positions of authority and leadership in our society, and no, I'm not talking about their personal sex lives that I could give a flying #&%$ about. I'm talking about the unconsitutional, inhuman suffering inflicted on others by people who deserve to trade places with those they've wronged to maybe learn the lessons they should have learned as children.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lifestudent

Absolutely
Starred!

It's all conditioning. They inflict this bull# on those who are most vulnerable and least capable of doing something (i.e. children and prisoners), report it in the media, the public becomes aware of it, eventually it becomes normal, and they simply progress from that, making it worse and worse.

Gas prices have nothing to do with this, but if I can use it as an example: Here where I live, they're $3.40 a gallon. They slowly inch up, go back down, then climb again, higher than the last time. So now, $3.00 seems like a bargain, when just a year or two ago, it was $2.00 that was the bargain.

Its all conditioning.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Dimensional detective already has a thread about this
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I feel it's only fair that our thoughts are directed to the thread posted first.

many thanks

new topics

top topics

join