It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MiroHoo Deal 'Could Break the Internet': Eric Schmidt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

MiroHoo Deal 'Could Break the Internet': Eric Schmidt

blog.wired.com

In what has to be one of the weirdest Q&As we've read in a long time, Google CEO Eric Schmidt tells Portfolio's Russ Mitchell that a Microsoft-Yahoo deal could "break the internet."

Was he kidding? Apparently not. When Mitchell asked Schmidt to elaborate, he said, "All internet-based systems today are highly interoperable, open systems. The whole antitrust trial that Microsoft went through was really about it breaking that."

Of course, Google isn't a position to talk about openness -- the company has earned the reputation as one of the most secretive, uncooperative research communities on the planet, leading critics to call for increased transparency (like that will ever happen).

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This is a potentially alarming development, with some ominous tones. What exactly does he mean by 'break' the internet? As in no more access worldwide? This would be the gov's wet dream come true! I wonder WHO exactly is behind this 'deal'...Hmmm.

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I saw jack squat in that one puny paragraph to even begin to back up Schmidt's outrageous assertion.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Not sure what to make of this... considering that Google has been snatching up massive Internet backbones for the past 10 years...

They literally 'own' the life-line to ALOT of ISP's and internet services. And how could they not? Google is a multi-billion dollar monster.

Maybe they are insinuating that 'there can be only one.' Well ... this is not the Highlander... this is our internet. Stop trying to buy it up and monopolize it damnit.

Good topic.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Monopolies are always destroyed. If not by the government, then by another company. And Google is a publicly traded company...shareholder revolts are possible.

I don't get what you guys are worried about.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What a bunch of nonsense! Yeah right ATS and all the Internet will soon disappear after the Microsoft - Yahoo deal goes through. Give me a frigging break!

Yahoo! is a small, but important part of the Internet that Microsoft was never able to create on its own. Being a bloated sloth with lots of money, Microsoft buys what it cannot internally create in order that it doesn't become irrelevant in the future. What the hell is wrong with that?

There's plenty of room for other creativity on the Internet where other yet to be created companies can achieve success and this deal does not change that. If Microsoft was buying all web portals or search engines on the Internet - then I think we would have a problem of stagnation & a monopoly.

Remember Yahoo, put itself in the position to allow Microsoft to take a shot! I sincerely hope Microsoft doesn't destroy Yahoo like it did to Netscape, which is what would of happened if Yahoo was taken by AOL.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Google is just doing to Microsoft what M$ did to them when they were acquiring DoubleClick. Just a dose of scaremongering in a bid to influence legislators into taking action and block the deal.

It's business warfare, that's all there really is to it.

Add that tidbit to what verylowfrequency has already said.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'm not going to hold my breath!

This would be the most ridiculous thing I've heard this week. Correction, that thing in Mexico where a midget dressed up like a troll to allegedly terrorize townsfolk is probably a little more ridiculous, but not by much.

new topics

top topics

join