It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with the Irish language?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
On the news recently, we have heard of DUP politician complain about the Irish language. David McNarry recently said that he is tired of listening to Irish being spoken at Stormount.

What we need to know is what is wrong with the Irish language?

We have had Tony Blair promise Sinn Fein that there would be an Irish language legislation back in 2006 at St Andrews. Now culture minister Edwin Poots said that it could not be done because of the cost amongst other reasons. Personally I'd love to hear these, but I'm pretty sure that I wont. And suprise suprise David McNarry had this to say about the news that the Irish Language legislation looks to be set aside;

"Respect, understanding and tolerance in relation to linguistic diversity would have been fundamentally undermined by the proposed act," he said.

"The Irish Language Act would further politicise Irish, place an undue and costly emphasis upon it and allow it to be used as a cultural weapon in an unarmed struggle."

Now how could the Irish language be a weapon?

Ever since this legislation was proposed it was opposed by the loyalists/unionists (or whatever else they like to call themselves)

I know that there are some Protestants who really couldn't care less, but some obviously believe that the language should be wiped out because their foreign ancestors tried to take over the land (and did for some amount of time) and have EVERYONE living by their rules, language, tradition and creed.

Personally, I think that this is unacceptable that they are already breaking their binding promises from both the Good Friday Agreement and the St Andrews Agreement.

news.bbc.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk... as you can see from this link, it says that Poots opposes the introduction of this act

[edit on 14-3-2008 by speight89]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
There is absolutley nothing wrong with the Irish language.
David McNarry recently said that he is tired of listening to Irish being spoken at Stormount. ...Well tough McNarry,
Irish is officially recognised!!
It enoys constitutional status as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland, it is also an official languge of the E.u.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Ok, I have lurked here for years and just joined up today. I am Northern Irish, so this seems like a good place to start. There is nothing wrong with the Irish language from my point of view, but what is its purpose really in modern day Northern Ireland? I will tell you.....nothing.

For those that want to study it and develop their cultural understanding, then it must be an interesting topic. However, it's political context in Northern Ireland is one of antagonism. Sinn Fein only promote it simply to piss off the British. Sorry, I prefer to be blunt instead of sugar coating it. That is the reason it causes animosity. I dislike the DUP because they are too hard line for me, but I agree with them on this point.

It infuriates me that time is wasted on something like this instead of more important issues like say, the £3,000 I have to pay in university fees. I'd rather they concentrated on important issues like that instead of playing a game of "lets annoy the other side" with antagonistic nonsense that has no relevance to the future of Northern Ireland. Look, even the Republic don't speak Irish in their parliament the last time I checked. I can never understand why Sinn Fein think their constant promotion of Irish nationalism will be successful because the Republic of Ireland don't desire or could even afford a 'united Ireland'. I can see why you might think this is some form of injustice, but from a realistic point of view and a Northern Irish citizen's point of view, the question of whether this language is ever spoken here is a waste of time. I feel very alienated in this country.

Btw, I have a uniquely balanced view on 'The Irish Problem' because my mum is an Irish Catholic from the Republic of Ireland and my father was born in a loyalist area of Belfast. Strange how they got divorced then, hey?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There are efforts being made all over Europe to preserve and protect regional European cultures.

I can see no harm in that.

Neither can I see any harm in dual or multi-language use anywhere in Europe.

They protect and use Welsh in Wales and Scots gael in Scotland, I can't see any fair reason why Irish shouldn't get similar treatment here in Northern Ireland.

I'm just surprised we haven't heard the usual nonsense from some of the usual suspects yet
(this invariably centres around a mythical bunch of proddy kids being forced to learn & speak Irish as a foretaste to what the 'Priest-ridden state' - despite the fact that 'religious-ness' & RC church attendences are dropping all over Ireland - has for all good prods etc etc etc ).

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
DUP are bigots.

The language of our people and ancestors should be protected, I can only speak a few words of it but still, it needs to be recongised in British law (not just European Union)

top topics

join