It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massacre in Tibet!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Now that the title reads "Possible Massacre", can we please get back to what might be a very important event?

I still think that, due to the difficulty in getting any reliable news out of Tibet, that the death count could easily climb much higher and truly wind up being a massacre.

The Chinese are notorious for clamping down HARD. Remember Tianamen Square (sp?) and how long it took for thr true numbers to become known?

Was the actual death count EVER known?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The number of deaths reported by witnesses so far has tripled.

Witnesses said they saw six bodies in the streets tonight, although this could not be independently confirmed.

In the Barkhor market that winds around the Jokhang temple, Tibet’s holiest site, they reported the bodies of two Tibetan men and two Tibetan women. The body of a Tibetan man was seen in the Lugu district and a Tibetan woman lay dead on Qingnian Road, near the city centre. They said all appeared to have been shot but no monks were seen among the dead.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

It should be noted that getting information out of Tibet is next to impossible.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Exactly how many have to die to qualify as a massacre ?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

if you don't buy chinese made or Taiwanese products, Which do you buy? There are few American made products on the market, and those that are American made are out of most peoples price range and of lesser quality.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hairy Turtle

If a family of four is killed in a B&E, it's called a massacre and, if a city full of people are put to death, it's also called a massacre.

So I suppose it's however you want to call it.

Tianneman Square massacre;

In Beijing, the resulting military crackdown on the protesters by the PRC government left many civilians dead or injured. The toll ranges from 200–300 (PRC government figures), to 400–800 (The New York Times), and to 2,000–3,000 (Chinese student associations and Chinese Red Cross).

en.wikipedia.org...

With Chinese troops being involved, you can bet there were a lot more killed, but we'll never know the truth. It's something they avoid at all costs as the above Wiki report shows.

[edit on 14/3/08 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I just got back from China. It's a pretty amazing place. It's like 19th century capitalism all over again, and just like in those times there are very little controls over their mercenary practices. Large companies have their own private security armies to prevent theft of intellectual property, since the patent laws and the copyright laws are unevenly enforced.

Sitting on top of the whole mess is the Chinese government, which has far less control than you might guess. There are far fewer police per citizen then in most US cities. If the Chinese people decided they had had enough, look out! , the government would fall like a house of cards. What the people of Tibet need is the ability to get their message out to the rest of the Chinese people.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
I agee with the Walmart boycott. But don't stop there, boycott everything with a "Product of China" sticker on it. Maos' great leap forward failed because of the lack of mineral and forest resources. Tibets natural resources are feeding the communist machine, and we are digging new landfills to hold the worthless crap this country seems to have to have.

Yeah nice idea in theory, but come on be realistic, everything is made in china these days

I really hope that Buddha intervenes on the cosmic battlefield and takes down the Chinese oppressors and causers of misery. Tibet is one of the most spiritual places ive ever seen (in pictures only unforutnately). Check out images of the Potala palace and youll know what im talking about. Free Tibet!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

It is really not that hard to find things not made in China. I wear a watch that was made in Germany, I've had it for years. Things for my home, I have to shop a bit but I find many things with tags that say "Product of USA", The food I buy is grown within US shorelines. I just bought a nice gift for my sister that was made in Ireland. My clothes are made locally her in Missouri. Check on line and you shall see local crafters that make just about anything a person could want or need.

I own a crafting business and do direct sales online. What is it you must have that can not be gotten anywhere but China?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The Media is still claiming it as a "peaceful" protest. Youths roaming around with large knives, Molotov cocktails and rocks, If they did fire it was in their own defense

Firefighter lying on the ground after been pelted with stones

Not your "monks" but a youth gang, Notice the guy holding that large machete

Another example of their peaceful protest

Same as above (not the army, its the PAP or SWAT with RUBBER bullets)

[edit on 14-3-2008 by chinawhite]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Similar situation in Australia. These guys have Molotov cocktails and the Chinese media is reporting lots of burns to Chinese police officers. They like any other security staff have every right to defend themselves

Police officer kills knife attacker in street

A senior police officer shot dead a man in Sydney's south late yesterday after trying to stop a knife attack on a busy shopping strip.

Police said the shooting occurred just after 3pm on Belmore Road in Riverwood when the officer, an inspector, tried to stop the man, aged in his early 30s, as he stabbed another man.

Separate investigations by the independent critical incident team, local detectives and the coroner were under way last night.

Superintendent Denis Clifford said: "The officer was returning back to the station, from a routine job when he chanced upon the fight. He attempted to intervene between the two men, one of whom was holding a knife.

"He asked the man to put down his knife. The officer called on the man to drop the knife, the person refused to do so and the officer discharged his firearm."

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Yeah, when you're ARMED AND RIOTING, you kind of have to expect a few casualties when hte government steps in to stop the riot.

I'm still laughing at the disgusting hypocrisy people are expressing towards this. If a Muslim in France torches a car, we should wipe out every last Arab on earth. if a Tibetan torches a car in China, we should hold his hand, look him deeply in the eyes, and thank him.

I think some people need to do a little reading on what Tibet was like under Lamaic rule. Perhaps you think it was a bunch of people sitting on pillows and being peaceful all day?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
Tibetans maintain truly ancient traditions like the Vedics of India and if we ever lose them... that's a serious link to the past that is gone.

Just like Native Americans. But things your backyard are seen through different eyes because it sure as hell didn't stop the American population from annihilating their culture

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
"This is a war worth fighting to win and even fighting and losing ; for defeat is not final when the fighting stops."

Khen Dawala

From Captured in Tibet.

People in this country should read about Tibet. What is happening there now and has happened there in the past fifty-seven years is pertinent to this country and people in other countries.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Exactly how many have to die to qualify as a massacre ?

a massacre is when undeserving people die... I would say this counts as a massacre.

Like many have said before, this is similar to Burma (Myanmar is its bastardized title). Luckily for Tibet though, Chevron will not be killing this in the media.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
"Possible Massacre..." Bah! That is an insult and I take it personally.
I think we can use our common sense here. Sitting and bending words when people are being shot at. Today, at LEAST 10 are repored dead!

[edit on 15-3-2008 by Raud]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The death toll now stands at 10. news.sky.com...
Like I said on one of my own threads boycott. No amounts of a face-lift can hind what’s really going on. Boycott the olimpics, boycott china good .yes I know most things are made their but shop around go the extra price or go with out. I do. The only reason every thing is made in china is demand. Stop buying. No wonder Spielberg pulled out even his special FX cant cover this up.
To chinawhite a star for you because you know how to make your point with out pulling out the racist card. Which I’m expecting to be done soon (not from you)

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
RFA

“The Chinese authorities deployed all military in the Lhasa area and sent tanks. There could be several hundred tanks and they were shooting into the crowds,” one witness told RFA’s Tibetan service. “They also fired several rounds of tear-gas.”

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by iammonkey
The death toll now stands at 10. news.sky.com...

Most of them being Chinese NOT tibetans.

Reports of up to 100 deaths in Tibet

TIBET'S government-in-exile says it has received "unconfirmed reports" of as many as 100 deaths in unrest in the Chinese-controlled Himalayan region.

This conflicts with a death toll of 10 , reported by China's official news agency Xinhua. Xinhua said 10 people burnt to death in riots in the Tibetan capital Lhasa, the fiercest pro-independence protests to have rocked the region in two decades, scarring China's image months before the Olympics.

Xinhua news agency said the 10 died in the bitter clashes that erupted in the remote mountain capital yesterday, having initially said seven. It said no foreigners died but gave few other details.

"The victims are all innocent civilians and they have been burnt to death,'' an official with the regional government was quoted as saying.

"it also said armed police in Lhasa rescued more than 580 people, including three Japanese tourists, from banks, supermarkets, schools and hospitals that were set alight.

More than 160 fires, including 40 major blazes, were reported, it said.
www.news.com.au...

Evidence on CCTV

Images captured on cellphone cameras and posted on the Internet showed protesters burning Chinese flags and running through the streets of Lhasa shouting independence slogans.
Boston News

Unconfirmed reports????.
The Tibetans can make phones calls and use the internet but they DONT have any pictures even with the mass proliferation of digital cameras and camera phones. NO FOREIGN HOSPITAL has even reported gun shot wounds

More propaganda from this peaceful protest

[edit on 15-3-2008 by chinawhite]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
MSNBC

BEIJING - China set a "surrender deadline", listed deaths and showed the first extensive television footage of rioting in Lhasa on Saturday, signaling a crackdown after the worst unrest in Tibet for two decades.

But a source close to the Tibetan self-proclaimed government-in-exile suggested China's official death toll of 10, which comes just months before the Beijing Olympics, may not tell the full story.

Xinhua news agency said the 10 "innocent civilians" died in fires that accompanied bitter clashes in the remote, mountain capital on Friday. It said no foreigners died but gave few other details, and the report could not be verified.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Chron.com

Eyewitness accounts and photos posted on the Internet portrayed a chaotic scene in Lhasa, the provincial capital, with crowds hurling rocks at security forces, hotels and restaurants. The U.S. Embassy said Americans had reported gunfire.

But at a demonstration outside the United Nations in New York, Psurbu Tsering of the Tibetan Association of New York and New Jersey said its members received phone calls from Tibet claiming 70 people had been killed and 1,000 arrested.

Actor Richard Gere, a Buddhist who has spoken out for Tibetan independence since 1978, said he was not surprised by the uprising.
"You can't repress the people to the extent that Tibetans have been repressed for the last six decades now and not expect that at some point that it will explode," he told the AP.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join