It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massacre in Tibet!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It has happened again...

BBC

Deaths reported in Tibet protests

Clashes between protesters and security forces in Tibet's main city of Lhasa have left at least two people dead, according to reports.
An emergency official told AFP news agency that many people had been hurt and an unspecified number had died.

CNN

Opponents of Chinese rule in Tibet set fire to vehicles and shops on Friday as tear gas filled the streets and gunfire rang out in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa, according to witnesses and human rights groups.

The protests -- initiated by Buddhist monks -- have been growing since Monday, the anniversary of the failed 1959 Tibetan uprising against Beijing rule. Tibet, an autonomous province, has long sought independence from China.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by intrepid]
[edit: title]

[edit on 15-3-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Phayul.com

Chinese Police Kill 2 in Tibet Protests: Reports
Dharamsala March 14 - At least two people have reportedly been shot dead by Chinese police in the protests that erupted in Lhasa, Tibet's capital city.

AFP reports "several deaths in the Tibetan capital quoting an official with the city's emergency centre.

"We are very busy with the injured people now -- there are many people injured here.

Definitely some people have died, but I don't know how many," AFP quoted a female official at the centre as saying.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Meditate and pray, there is a great need to send energy to Tibet now.

www.youtube.com...

I have attempted to send an E-mail to the Capital of US and ask that they intervene.

This must be the awakening of a million Bodi Sattvas.

There is another ongoing thread. Do not have time to look it up for you just now.
Namaste

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This might be exactly the wrong move at the wrong time with the Olympics happening there.

No doubt, the outcry from the west is going to grow as the demonstrations for a free Tibet begin to get headlines.

Could this be the first Olympics that no-one wants to go to? I'm getting this deja vu feeling about the Germam games just prior to WWII.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Just as we stood up for the protesters in Myanmar, we must keep an extra watchful eye on this.
I say it like Hawkwind: Tibet is not China!

More useful links:

www.tibet.com...

www.world-newspapers.com...

www.ciolek.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think the timing of this uprising is perfect. If the media here were to report the truth the olympics would suffer a boycott. I refuse to buy chinese products, something most of the world should consider. If the chinese economy depended on a withdrawl from Tibet, they would leave fast.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It is absurd that the Chinese Government accuses the Dali Lama of master minding this event!

For anyone interested here are some pictures I found of the riots. I have not looked at them yet so together we will see them.

news.yahoo.com...:/nm/20080314/ts_nm/china_tibet_dc;_ylt=ApOuY7xDSXJN5WVUBCuKs khg.3QA

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I don't support the Chinese government but two people dead does not equal a massacre.

Please retitle your thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Actually the occupation of Tibet by the Chinese since 1959 has been an exercise in genocide. I could care less of the thread title as long as it gets people thinking and talking

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
Tibet is not China!

Agreed, but the history of their contentious relationship goes back more than a thousand years.

The Chinese first established relations with Tibet during the T'ang dynasty (618–906), and there were frequent wars of conquest.

-snip-

In 1906 and 1907, Britain recognized China's suzerainty over Tibet. However, the Tibetans were able, with the overthrow of the Ch'ing dynasty in China, to expel (1912) the Chinese in Tibet and reassert their independence. At a conference (1913–14) of British, Tibetans, and Chinese at Shimla, India, Tibet was tentatively confirmed under Chinese suzerainty and divided into an inner Tibet, to be incorporated into China, and an outer autonomous Tibet. The Shimla agreement was, however, never ratified by the Chinese, who continued to claim all of Tibet as a “special territory.” After the death (1933) of the 13th Dalai Lama, Tibet gradually drifted back into the Chinese orbit. The 14th Dalai Lama, who was born in China, was installed in 1939–40 and assumed full powers (1950) after a ten-year regency.

www.infoplease.com...

The cry for a Free Tibet echoes through 11 centuries and the influence of European powers has been to quell much of it during the last 100 years.

The recent turmoil which is now just beginning has more to do, imo, with the Summer Olympics than not. That China has moved to crack down to suppress this does surprise me a little, since the demonstrations worldwide are already happening. CNN just carried a story of a peaceful 'sit-in' demonstration in India and these occurrences will grow in intensity worldwide.

If, as I believe, the Tibetans hoped to embarrass the Chinese by exposing their hardline attitude, then they are already succeeding.

On whether this is a massacre or not, I'd wait for the count to grow first. Tibet is not an easy place to get word out of and the death toll could easily be multiplied 10 times over.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There was a story a few days ago about Bjork has been banned from going to China.
At the end of her concert in Shanghi, she said Tibet, Tibet, Tibet!
We should, at the very least, do our part to not tune into the tv coverage of the Olympics.
I think that the networks have some way to tell what you are watching, if you have cable, or sattelite. So, it does make a difference, what you do.
Looking around at other topics, on this forum, you can see that they (Chinese) are doing genecidal practices on every outlying provence they control.
If you want to hear a really crazy thought, I think we should throw it in their face, and give Taiwan back to the Japanese.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

You could probably do more harm by supporting a Walmart boycott.

China is a 'have-not' country in that they have no oil to run their burgeoning economy. A serious disruption in the ME, like a US invasion of Iran, would have serious effects and put Russia in a position of control over them re: oil.

To have the Chinese frustrated with yet another uprising in Tibet, backed by popular rock and movie stars is going to cause some unwanted ripples in that country where control is everything.

I don't even want to think about Taiwan in this

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

It's not right to use deception to advance an even worthy cause! Boo!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I agee with the Walmart boycott. But don't stop there, boycott everything with a "Product of China" sticker on it. Maos' great leap forward failed because of the lack of mineral and forest resources. Tibets natural resources are feeding the communist machine, and we are digging new landfills to hold the worthless crap this country seems to have to have.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

What in my post was deceptive?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Sorry, I meant to respond to OP.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I agree, 2 protestors dieing is not a massacre. Although it is a travesty...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

Like I said in an earlier post the thread title should not matter. I think the actions of the chinese against the Tibetans is a masacre that has been going on for too long. I provide a link that may be of interest on the subject of masacre and genocide.

www.australian-news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The title of this thread is very misleading.

"Massacre..."

Two people is definitely not a massacre...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I don't like being keyed up to read about a massacre when it's two people.

If there were a real massacre I would be really mad right now...

Two people is a minimum casualty for messing with the Chinese government. It looks like the Tibetans are fighting the good fight and have so far kept themselves from being stomped out...

If you ask me, China controls Tibet because it is a historical and spiritually significant place. Tibetans maintain truly ancient traditions like the Vedics of India and if we ever lose them... that's a serious link to the past that is gone.

That's why the Nazis studied Tibetans. They were descended from the Aryans of pre-history and had 'occult' knowledge that is extremely valuable.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join