It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret CIA prisons / 'black sites'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

A Yemeni man has described being held for nearly three years in secret CIA prisons, or "black sites", around the world and accused the US of torture.

"In July 2007, Mr Bush issued an executive order which banned "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment" of terrorist suspects by the CIA, but not its operation of secret facilities. The agency has since declined to say whether it still uses them"

"[The Yemeni prisoner] said he was then transferred to Abu Ghraib, where he alleged he was subjected to a regime of beatings, sleep deprivation, suspension upside-down in painful positions, intimidation by dogs and induced hypothermia. "

One of the above statements is must be a lie...(?)

The linked article goes on to mention that there are blacksites all across the world, and in my opinion no doubt tying in with the secret torture flights used by the CIA...

Even George Bush admitted the existence of the sites in 2006 (see the article)

So my point being, if these sites are not used for torture, then why the secrecy???

[edit on 14-3-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I would say they keep them secret because other "black projects" are being conducted there, otherwise they would be just torture camps.

Also I am very sure its not just the CIA that run these black sites and torture people.

As a side note if the torturing of one person leads to information that could save thousands or more.....whats wrong with that? the only bad thing I see in these camps is when it is done just for fun or on people that hold no information that is of such vital importance that it can be gained no other way.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
as a second aside to my other post, another interesting thing are the rendition aircraft used to ferry prisoners to and from black sites
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
A quote from your last link...

Robert Baer, a CIA case officer in the Middle East until 1997, told us how it works. "We pick up a suspect or we arrange for one of our partner countries to do it. Then the suspect is placed on civilian transport to a third country where, let's make no bones about it, they use torture. If you want a good interrogation, you send someone to Jordan. If you want them to be killed, you send them to Egypt or Syria. Either way, the U.S. cannot be blamed as it is not doing the heavy work."

I disagree with the torture to save lives scenario, is it justified torture an innocent man, in case he holds information that may save thousands of lives?

I mean when you start gouging their eyes out, they'd tell you they were Lord Lucan if it meant no more pain.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
A quote from your last link...

Robert Baer, a CIA case officer in the Middle East until 1997, told us how it works. "We pick up a suspect or we arrange for one of our partner countries to do it. Then the suspect is placed on civilian transport to a third country where, let's make no bones about it, they use torture. If you want a good interrogation, you send someone to Jordan. If you want them to be killed, you send them to Egypt or Syria. Either way, the U.S. cannot be blamed as it is not doing the heavy work."

I disagree with the torture to save lives scenario, is it justified torture an innocent man, in case he holds information that may save thousands of lives?

I mean when you start gouging their eyes out, they'd tell you they were Lord Lucan if it meant no more pain.

You beat me to this. That's one of the quotes that stood out to me when I first heard about "Rendition."

I can't imagine how much bogus info they've gotten from "terrorists" under torture, nor how many innocent lives have been lost because of it.

new topics

top topics

join