It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Held Nude in Jail Seek Damages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Four Held Nude in Jail Seek Damages

www.detnews.com

Today, Lawson is expected to preside over the start of a jury trial to determine whether Anderson, two other men and a woman arrested for misdemeanor, nonviolent infractions deserve money for psychological harm they suffered for similar treatment."I considered it a form of rape," said Anderson while waiting for a jury to be selected Thursday.

"They accused me of killing a girl and burying her in a cornfield. I had no idea what they were talking about, so I started yelling that I was here for drunken driving, not murder."

Neither side disputes the jail policy of stripping uncooperative prisoners -- and if they refused, using force, chemical sprays and scissors to remove clothes. The question for jurors is whether the treatment scarred the prisoners so emotionally they deserve monetary damages.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Man, is it just me, or do these types of abuses seem to be escalating dramatically in recent times?This is sickening. Guy was arrested for drunk driving, then accused of some crime he had nothing to do with it. They stripped him naked and tossed him in the hole. We seem to be literally REGRESSING back in time in terms of abuses...

www.detnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Nobody wants to tackle this one eh? I'm suprised folks weren't all over it with the rash of brutality and prisoner abuse threads that have been going around as of late...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
DD another great find on your part. I hate hearing about this stuff - and you know, it could be any one of us.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Are they accelerating? I'd say we only have accelerating awareness, if anything.
Not minimizing this dreadful ordeal, just saying I'm not sure we have a pattern here.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

Perhaps you are right! Perhaps nothing's changed except for the actual COVERAGE of these events...But one way or the other it sure does seem to be prolific in the news as of late...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
What does that even mean, "uncooperative"?

I have a serious problem with law being taken in to the hands of people who do not make the law, and merely enforce and protect it.

I do not believe there is a law stating "if they're uncooperative, make them stand nude in front of the opposite sex". I don't believe that for one second.

Therefore, this action was not allowed by the law.

They're in jail for a reason. I understand that. But you can't simply say they deserve it just because they're criminals, and definitely not if it's some minor offense.

They are in prison, they are doing their time, and they are out of free society. Thats their punishment. Their punishment is not to be subjected to nude embarrassment, and no doubt inappropriate sexual comments on the part of the opposite sex cops and prisoners.

If they're being insubordinate, put them back in their cell. If they physically harm another person in the prison, add charges.

But stripping them down and subjecting them to that embarrassment for anything is not only a stupid punishment, but is also not granted by law.

Society has made people feel their most vulnerable or uncomfortable when they are nude in public or in front of others who they do not trust. So that's used on people to instill fear and encourage subordination of authority.

It's practiced in prisons both foreign and domestic. How long before it's mainstream?

We've even heard of these strip searches on CHILDREN in schools.

It's an intimidation tactic. People in positions of authority are being instructed to perform these acts against people's comfort and vulnerability to encourage obedient masses.

Prisoners (and "terrorists") are the first because "no one cares" about them. Then it's our children because they're being primed for the future status quo. It won't be long before it's the rest of us.

It's all conditioning. They inflict this on those who are most vulnerable and least capable of doing something (i.e. children and prisoners), report it in the media, the public becomes aware of it, eventually it becomes normal, and they simply progress from that, making it worse and worse.

Even if they were some monster and were a mass murderer, or a rapist, or a pedophile or what ever else, the fact remains that it is not allowed by law to do this to prisoners, no matter how much of a 'monster' they are considered to be.

But it being DUI, that's even worse and even more unjustified. That's just absolutely unnecessary, pathetic and disgusting.

Yeah, they made a mistake in putting others in danger for something so stupid. But to serve their time AND be subjected to unnecessary treatment, and possibly the perverse judgment of these officers who do not have authority over making law, and simply enforce current law? Completely wrong.

I agree with awarding them damages and bringing criminal charges on these officers.

**This is a combination of my posts in the other thread on this subject that was created after this thread was**

new topics

top topics

join