It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popcorn Ingredient Tied to Lung Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (March 14) - A chemical used to give butter flavor to popcorn can damage the lungs and airways of mice, U.S. government experts reported on Thursday.

Tests on mice show that diacetyl, a component of artificial butter flavoring, can cause a condition known as lymphocytic bronchiolitis, said the team at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, part of the National Institutes of Health.

The condition can lead to obliterative bronchiolitis -- or "popcorn lung" -- a rare and debilitating disease seen in workers at microwave popcorn packaging plants and at least one consumer.

Popcorn Ingredient Tied to Lung Disease

Great...something my kids love to eat. Time to break out the good old fashioned air popper and do it the right way!

Michelle

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Michelle129]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I heard about this a year ago, and also there was this guy about 4 months ago who is trying to sue the popcorn making companies because he ate 2 bags a day and got the disease.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I officially hate you.

...and lurve you.

Throws up popcorn.

Takes up drinking. :w:

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129

Great...something my kids love to eat. Time to break out the good old fashioned air popper and do it the right way!

Michelle

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Michelle129]

[insert] joke about "quit inhaling the popcorn" [/insert]
Yep, the hot air popper works great. I read about this a while ago and will never do the microwave popcorn again.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
There should be a constitutional amendment against popcorn.

If you shove a big handful of that dry, salty treat in your mouth and don't have a refreshing beverage (mine's goat pee) at hand you could choke to death.

DIE DEVIL CORN. DIE!
:bash:

new topics

top topics

join