It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$4 gas in Hawaii and California

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm not going to complain about gas prices too much. Other countries, the UK for instance, have been paying through the nose for years. We've only just caught up with them.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

Well they pay through the nose due to taxes which give them services we dont have. Us Yanks are just paying for Exxon Mobil employee's salaries.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I agree but Myth Busters proved that you can be a safe distance behind a Semi and still benefit greatly from drafting.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Please tell me exactly how I'm supposed to plan a budget for my wife getting cardiomyopothy. Or how I'm supposed to plan every week when I don't know if I'm paying for her to be in the hospital every week. And don't tell me health insurance, because she's in another country where my health insurance won't cover her.

I could easily point you to a source to help you budget this type of thing, but I have a feeling you're just being sarcastic and not really contemplating anything of the sort. I'm 100% positive that you would not be the first person to ever attempt to get on a proper budget having this type of situation.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jojoKnowsBest

The problem is still visibility for the driver of the truck. He has to know that you are back there, and he's not, even at a "safe" distance. Unless you're a good 3/4ths of a truck length behind him he can't see you. And most people aren't going to stay a "safe" distance behind him. I was out there on the road and I have seen how cars act around trucks.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I just have to say... All this arguing that living in Hawaii is expensive.... Don't jobs pay much more there then, to provide a "living wage"?? I know I never needed much to live here where I do now, until the dollar started losing value. Maybe it is that same thing in Hawaii

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Well I'm glad that you are, because I'm living with it and it's not nearly as easy as you think. I wake up every day waiting to hear if she's back in the ICU or if she's still at home and doing ok. We're facing a total heart transplant possibly running at least $10,000. On top of that I'm paying my car payment (yes I bought a new car, but it was the most fuel efficient car I could buy and I HAD to buy one if I wanted to keep my job), my rent, my computer which is the easiest and cheapest way for me to stay in touch with her, food (I actually buy groceries and cook my own food), her living expenses because she can't get a job because of her heart condition, and her medical bills. Even with help it's not going to be as easy as you make it out to be.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

No, they don't. Minimum wage there was $5.25/hr there until recently. And a LOT of jobs paid either minimum wage, or barely over minimum wage. I meant it when I said I knew people working 3 jobs to survive there. My friend is a computer networking person, his wife is a nurse. Between them they make over $100,000 a year, and with what they're paying for rent, and car, and their baby expenses they're looking at 10-15 years to get out of debt out there.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Put it that way, and it doesn't seem economical to live there at all. Aside from retired folks with a lifetime of stashed away wealth to live on.

I think sometimes that earlier generations had it easier. They still had houses to pass onto their children, and money to retire with... What is this REVERSE MORTGAGE stuff?? I bet the elderly and their family doesn't much benefit from it..

Well, interesting thread. Learn something new everyday.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Apaprently it's just you and your wife that you need to worry about, but I like many others, have small children to look after as well.

You can't go cutting corners nutritionally when it comes to growing children, it's a really bad idea. If it were only me and the missus, we could do without all the milk, fruits, and meat products, but it's not, so that's not really an option.

We could turn down the thermostat I guess, but it's already at 68 degrees. It's still Winter where I live, and the temperature get in the teens and single digits regularly. What I'd save on energy costs by doing so would then go to the doctor and the pharmacy instead.

Do you know of a car with an engine smaller than a four cylinder? Our care gets 35 mpg and we paid cash for it. No bill there. I do have a truck that I drive roughly 20 miles a week, but I need it for hauling our water and picking up feed for our livestock. I owe nothing on it either, and really don't have the money to replace it with a economy model. Trucks that are big enough to actually be used for work cost a lot of money.

I quit smoking recently because it's too expensive and is bad for my health. I can add that money back to my budget now thankfully. We don't do sodas, only juices, milk, and bottled water. I don't have any other vices.

Back on topic though: Are you content getting scr-wed by the oil companies and the government with over-inflated fuel prices? I'm not, and I'd like something done about it before gas goes over $4/ gallon. If you call that whining, so be it. If more people took the time towhine at their representatives in government, the problem would not be so bad now.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
[Are you content getting scr-wed by the oil companies and the government with over-inflated fuel prices? I'm not, and I'd like something done about it before gas goes over $4/ gallon. If you call that whining, so be it.

If you have any income you want to risk in the stock market, I suggest buying oil company stock. The dividends are pretty good, and at least you get some of your money back specifically from the companies who you feel are ripping you off.

Fortunately for me, I have a car that gets pretty good mileage, and I live close enough to where I work that if I really start feeling the pinch, I can ride my bicycle. One of the best inventions ever.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

I wish I had some money to invest, but all my disposable income is earmarked for basic necessities. A 60 mile a day round trip bike ride is probably out of the question in my case.

[edit on 3/14/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Apaprently it's just you and your wife that you need to worry about, but I like many others, have small children to look after as well.

Once again you assume way too much. I have a 5 yr old and a 6 yr old. The fact that you keep trying to find dramatic differences between your life and mine leads me to believe that you think it's impossible to better your situation. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish when you put some effort into it.

You can't go cutting corners nutritionally when it comes to growing children, it's a really bad idea. If it were only me and the missus, we could do without all the milk, fruits, and meat products, but it's not, so that's not really an option.

Agreed and we don't. We do skimp as much as possible and keep eating out to a bare minimum. Take a look at the Hillbilly Housewife webpage and you can get a good idea of how to skimp on food and still give your kids what they need to grow. The prices are a little outdated on the site, but the principles are the same.

We could turn down the thermostat I guess, but it's already at 68 degrees. It's still Winter where I live, and the temperature get in the teens and single digits regularly. What I'd save on energy costs by doing so would then go to the doctor and the pharmacy instead.

My wife keeps ours at 64. I'd prefer it up around 70, but my wife wants 64 to save cash and that's what we do. If we get cold, we use sweatshirts and blankets. We are no more sick than any other family I know.

I quit smoking recently because it's too expensive and is bad for my health.

A big congrats to you on that. I also quit smoking fairly recently and I know it's a huge struggle. It still is for me everyday because I work with many smokers.

Back on topic though: Are you content getting scr-wed by the oil companies and the government with over-inflated fuel prices? I'm not, and I'd like something done about it before gas goes over $4/ gallon. If you call that whining, so be it. If more people took the time towhine at their representatives in government, the problem would not be so bad now.

I am far from content with current gas prices, but I also know enough about the system to realize that the government has very little to do with it. Unless you care to argue the "no new refinaries" argument, which I do agree with, or attack the gas tax itself (which isn't percentage based in my area so it's not causing this)you can't pin this on the government at all. The only way the government can fix this is to penalize the oil companies for being a successful business which is contrary to the beliefs that this country was founded on. I don't really want to get into this particular argument as it's been done repeatedly, but there's my opinion.

I've also looked in depth at the oil company profit issue and I can clearly see that the their profit percentage isn't out of line at all. This also has been covered in depth in various threads by me and others. Certainly many disagree, but I don't see an issue with a business earning profit margins inline with the norm for their shareholders. The reason you're seeing the "record profit" headlines is because 10% of $3/gallon is a lot more than 10% of $2/gallon gas.

Again, thanks for the reply. It appears from your tone that you might be angered by my statements. I apologize if that's the case. I really think that anybody, regardless of their situation, can better their life by carefully managing their expenses. My intention is to get that point across and help others improve their situation. Sometimes it can come across as self-righteous I guess, but that's not my intention.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by BlueTriangle]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Well I'm glad that you are, because I'm living with it and it's not nearly as easy as you think. I wake up every day waiting to hear if she's back in the ICU or if she's still at home and doing ok. We're facing a total heart transplant possibly running at least $10,000. On top of that I'm paying my car payment (yes I bought a new car, but it was the most fuel efficient car I could buy and I HAD to buy one if I wanted to keep my job), my rent, my computer which is the easiest and cheapest way for me to stay in touch with her, food (I actually buy groceries and cook my own food), her living expenses because she can't get a job because of her heart condition, and her medical bills. Even with help it's not going to be as easy as you make it out to be.

I never said it was easy, just possible. If I was in your situation, the first thing I would do is trade in my new car, along with the payment, for a much cheaper used car. If you have major expenses such as the $10,000 one mentioned above, you really can't afford to drive a new car. Believe me when I tell you that a 10 year old used car will get you to work just as well as a brand new one and the payments are either gone or MUCH lower. Mine is 9 years old and it gets me to my job just fine.

Another thing to consider...did you know that a new car loses 65% of it's value in the first 4 years? When you buy a new car, what you're really doing is throwing away 65% of your payment every month.

Don't give up and be optimistic. You'd be surprised how far those two things alone will get you.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by BlueTriangle]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Firstly, I sincerely hope none of you are going to start tailgating other vehicles... remember, your life is worth MUCH more than 20% fuel savings.
Can't spend the savings if you're dead.

Now, regarding fuel costs.
I have taken to public transit quite a bit. Ever since I left CFB Trenton I haven't driven.
My license? Expired.

Now, thanks to Ontario law revisions, I use my health card as my ID.

In Ottawa, you can get anywhere in the city within 45 minutes by public transit. So during my post secondary education, I used the OC Transpo public transit system 100% of the time.

Now that I've moved to Toronto, I will be using the GO Train to get everywhere.

My point is that, if you don't mind being around other people, get rid of your vehicle and switch to public transit.

It will be public transit that switches to other fuel sources first. The city needs to save money far more than you or I.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Public transit is efficient if you live in a city, but if you live in a rural area you need a car or motorcycle to get around.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I paid 3.80-something here in San Diego last night for regular.

I am glad I have a motorcycle to commute with, 50mpg and 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is a hard combination to beat.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I have no problem with you. You're entitled to your opinion, just like I am to mine. We can simply agree to disagree if that's cool with you.

Congratulations on quitting the habit as well. It's not only an expensive habit, but a nasty one as well. I hate the smell of smoke I have on my clothes now. Yuck!

I'll check out the web site you posted a link to also. I'm all for saving a few bucks if I possibly can. Take care.

PS: Checked out the site, it was great! Thanks for the link.

[edit on 3/14/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
To put this in another perspective:

At $3.82 @ gallon, I paid about $76 US yesterday for a tank of gas.

Today, I bought a week's worth of groceries for just myself: $64 US

A tank of gas now costs me more than a week's worth of groceries.

I can imagine others in similar, but less fortunate circumstances, now being faced with the dilema:

Do I buy food to eat for a week, or enough gas to get to work for a week?

My car, by the way, is paid for and 14 years old.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Well the safe driving distance behind a semi is right in the turbulance of the semi so no fuel savings there. Despite your personal driving skills and and reaction time, there is a second draft that if you go beyond it you will be pulled in towards the truck a little faster than you would like if you are not expecting it. Either way, you can not see through the truck and you have to depend on the fatigue level of the driver and guess what his reaction may be on how he deals with a situation that you are unaware of happening.

I was informed today that inferstructure is being discussed for mass public transit as well as more freight by rail. Many long time diesel engine manufactors like Cummings and Catapiller are performing R&D of newer smaller locomotives. Just a matter of time now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join