It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right Now, Feds may be looking into your Finances: USA Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Right Now, Feds may be looking into your Finances: USA Today

www.usatoday.com

"I don't think Americans understand that their financial transactions are being reported and routinely examined," said Barry Steinhardt of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The Treasury Department's database now contains records of more than 100 million financial transactions going back to at least 1996, said network spokesman Steve Hudak.

Teams of agents from the FBI, IRS, Drug Enforcement Administration and other agencies regularly review newly filed financial reports and launch investigations. Federal and local authorities search the database to find information about people that can help ongoing probes. Treasury Department analysts study the reports to detect trends in fraud and issue reports alerting financial institutions.

"The government has access to untold volumes of records and can draw all sorts of conclusions about us, and many are going to be wrong," Steinhardt said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
What's so amazing about this type of stuff is how these entities are so worried about spying on every little thing the citizens of this nation do, including their finances, yet the bureaucratic numbskulls keep tossing BILLIONS of dollars out all over the place, and often times these transactions end up MISSING, and yet you don't see or hear anything about these agencies monitoring THEM. This epitomizes everything that is wrong with our system. It governs / watches the people, while giving itself the free pass to do whatever it pleases.

Nauseating.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well I have nothing to worry about! Because I have no money. They will just look and say MAN - That guy is BROKE!

Seriously, this is not good. slowly but surely the government is creeping into every aspect of our life. I though republicans were all about less government in people's lives. Now they are listening to our phone calls - checking our accounts - going over our records.

Some small government!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This is nothing new, all electronice financial transactions are required to go through the FED. This has been the law ever since we've started transfering money electronically.

Ever since 9/11 the FED has also been monitoring all suspicious electronic activity.

My question is, who decided that 'now' was the appropriate time to start asking questions? This smells like an ulterior agenda to me.

top topics

join