It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should there be the death penalty in Britain?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

And I'm sorry if my post came accross as arrogant,that wasn't my intention. But I still think that state murder is wrong.

And I'm sorry I replied in kind before I saw your second post. Good to see posters that are big enough to admit to words written in haste. I hope I can be as self aware and honest in future too.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

People who commit crimes need help. There is no punishment greater for an offender than to realise the impact of their crime on their victims. Make that person realise what they've done, and then help them get out of whatever psychological problems they were going through that would lead a person to do that, and you've saved yourself the money AND provided one more productive member of society.

While I broadly agree with you that some criminal acts are committed by those suffering severe psychological or mental health issues I have to say that here in the UK the effort at understanding and rehabilitating the criminal has gone way to far in application. To the point where people blatantly play the system and swagger out of court smirking and promising there sorry and wont do it again only to go straight back to the previous behaviour or escalating to worse. What really grates about this is how it's applied in such an unequal manner, violent thugs alowwed back on the streets while pensioners go to jail for non payment of poll tax, child killers released early while the middle class business man who defrauded his insurance company serves the full stretch. It's wrong, morally and ethically and only serves to tell the ordinary man how lowdown the list of priorities his life and well being are. This doesn't make for a healthy society in any way shape or form. Rehabilitation should be the secondary goal of our justice system, the first being protecting communities from thos who would do them harm. Unfashionable words like punishment and enforcement may send some misguided social commentators into a spiral of outrage but there not the ones being attacked, victimised or raped.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
When was this vote? I don't remember hearing or reading anything about it? The death penalty is a complicated subject in my opinion, there are some people that should get it, such as Harold Shipton, but only in certain circumstances should anyone get it. Also i fail to believe that 99% of this country want the death penalty back

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

your to right this is a isue i think needs to be talked about!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ohhhh well

Hi.

There is no easy answer to this problem,but i believe that if someone willingly takes a life then they should expect to lose their own,pure and simple.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I am totally against capital punishment main reason being that innocent people get killed in the process, you can't pardon the dead.

Do you who are for death penalty really think that it's worth the lives of innocents as there will always be those who get wrongfully condemned?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
We had the death penalty here in England and it was abused by those in authority, who, knowingly hanged Derek Bentley, a nineteen year old with a mental age of thirteen, who not only did not commit the murder, but was under arrest and in Police custody at the time of the shooting.
If prison places are at the root of this issue, then perhaps we could begin by deporting the twelve thousand foreign prisoners currently held in our prisons at the taxpayer's expense.
Regards,
Horsegiver.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Your solution is, well, lazy. You don't want to spend £300k on keeping them in prison, so instead of looking for a method of rehabilitation that doesn't just say "well sod it - let's just kill them".

People who commit crimes need help. There is no punishment greater for an offender than to realise the impact of their crime on their victims. Make that person realise what they've done, and then help them get out of whatever psychological problems they were going through that would lead a person to do that, and you've saved yourself the money AND provided one more productive member of society.

Paedophiles suffer from a mental illness that is not their fault. They didn't choose to be paedophiles, so it doesn't make much sense to kill them for it. Again, helping them through their problems until the problems disappear would make far more sense.

Killing is never the answer.

Its not laziness, its pragmatism. Please, please read my post about the money being better used in other areas of public spending.

The rationale behind my thinking is cold hard logic. By spending money keeping a worthless human being alive, you are sentencing a completely innocent man to death simply because the hospital he was in was underfunded.

If this isnt an example of the dysgenic society we live in, i dont know what is!

We dont know if it is possible to rehab a paedophile, and at any rate who is going to take the chance of releasing them back into society?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I agree with this i think that money should be spent in other areas of britain like public schools.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join