It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF Will Send Last F-117s Into Retirement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
USAF Will Send Last F-117s Into Retirement

The 15 remaining F-117 will make their last flight to the Tonopah Test Range Airfield in Nevada on April 22 -- this is where the F-117 made its maiden voyage in 1981.

Full Story Here Daily Tech

So either they have something new and secret or the F22 really is that good...

peace..

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yeah, this surprises me and will no doubt fuel *secret weapon* debates. I'm sure that USAF doesn't have any secret aircraft in squadron level use else it wouldn't be secret anymore - just as the F-117 became public upon entering service. And remember that the rumours of the F-117 program leaked very early on, it's not like it took industry watchers by surprise.

But for the next year or two, there is a system gap until the F-22 and F-35 are fully up to speed with operational strike missions. F-22 *can* already do it but seem to be focused on air-air in their current deployment. They'd have to switch training which would get reported.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
They're being replaced at Holloman by F-22s. The plane has been to retire them since a year or two ago.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
i honestly though they had gone allready ; the nighthawk was designed as a first strike weapon for the european theatre - for a high value target; but in this day and age of multiple targets and heavier weapons , the small weapons bay , and the massive expence of operating them really wasn`t condusive in this ongoing campaign.

join