It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riots break out in Tibetan capital

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Riots in Tibet.

www.cnn.com

BEIJING (Reuters) - Shops were set on fire in violence in Tibet's capital of Lhasa on Friday, witnesses said, as the region was hit by a fresh wave of rare street protests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.hln.be
au.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Drozla]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Looks like violence is errupting in Tibet as - like in Burma - Monks seem to take the lead against the oppressor.

The biggest Market place in the capital is on fire. Monks where trying to demonstrate against the Chinese but Police went in and started a fight with the Monks, who , in turn got support from locals. Ambulances are seen going to and from hospitals.

See more on
www.cnn.com...
www.reuters.com...

Can probably find more if you google.

I wonder how the Chinese are going to handle it. Many watchers are scared they will send in the Army, on the other hand, China is trying to look calm, nice and caring in the wake of the coming Olympics.

IMO this is a moment where worldleaders, leaders and normal people should and can act. Put pressure on the Chinese.
I don't know if Tibet is rich and has minerals or whatever, but it shouldnt matter. What matters is that they want freedom.
Freedom to believe in whatever God they want. Freedom to raise their kids how they want. And they want their country back.

If the Chinese are not being made aware that this issue is being watched, I fear that after the Olympics, they will struck Tibet big time.

Those interested in helping or reading about it will probably find a lot on following sites.

www.freetibet.org...
www.free-tibet.info...
www.freetibet.net...
www.tibet.org...
www.savetibet.org...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
dang right! I also felt that this sounds like the perfect time to put pressure on the chinese for human rights ...especially after they (I think) made some anouncement over U.S actions and human rights...

man it would be awesome in china and the u.s got all human rightsy.. those two huge powers could probably force freedom and justice on the whole world!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Drozla

Well, the Chinese government is in a pickle now, aren't they?

If they now go all Tienanmen Square on Tibet, they can kiss the Olympics good-bye.

If they don't, they risk having the insurrection spread and causing more widespread dissension, again, possibly jeopardizing their Olympics, no?

The brave people of Tibet deserve our admiration and support.

If you're of the praying sort, now would be a good time to keep them in yours.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Update :

Chinese Army is taking action.

- Chinese Army took in the Airport. Noone can get out. There are no tickets available even though planes are not full.

- Reports of several deads.

- Chinese (like was in Burma) is blocking every news that BBC and CNN tries to send to China about the events. As soon as they try , sound dissapears and screen becomes black.

Source (sorry, its in Dutch, but most probably others will bring this aswell)
www.hln.be...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
reply to post by Drozla

Well, the Chinese government is in a pickle now, aren't they?

If they now go all Tienanmen Square on Tibet, they can kiss the Olympics good-bye.

If they don't, they risk having the insurrection spread and causing more widespread dissension, again, possibly jeopardizing their Olympics, no?

The brave people of Tibet deserve our admiration and support.

If you're of the praying sort, now would be a good time to keep them in yours.

Yes they are in a pickle which is why I was wondering what they'll do. That question is roughly answered now as first reports are coming in that the Army went in and that there are several people killed.

And you know why they do it? Because none of our leaders is going to do one little # about it. And they know it.

The only thing that will happen is a bit pointing with the finger, afterwards they'll all pretend we're one happy family and the Chinese will continue occupying Tibet, hunting Monks en people who only want their COuntry and freedom.

Just as in Burma. Where the world had the best chance in over 2 decades to finally help the people get that Government out, but the world chose to stay silent and to not act. With as consequence the protests stopped, a number of people was killed and is still being killed. A number of people is still in prison and being tortured. And it will take a while before they gather enough courage to try again.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Drozla

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

No world leader will interfere in what China will position as an internal affair.

The Chinese will clamp down on all information from the area, project their might upon the people of Tibet, and quickly sweep the whole affair under the rug.

Anyone who takes part in their Olympics will be a party to the Chinese oppression.

Boycott the Beijing Olympics!

More links:

Latest Images and News | Students for Free Tibet International Headquarters

The Chinese Olympic logo explained.

Click on the image for an entire page of Tibetan links.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
My thoughts and prayers are with the Tibetan monks and civilians...

I just really hope it's not a repeat of Burma.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Such tiny group of separatist won't make big trouble.
Tibet will never separate from China.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Both the EU and the US are now telling China to restrain themselves and called for dialogue with the Dalai Lama.

U.S. tells China to use restraint in Tibet protests
www.alertnet.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Wonder why we didn't tell France the same things when Muslims were, ahem, protesting in Paris.

"Guys, we know the theocratic sorts are setting fire to the city, but please, use restraint!"

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I think it has to do with the differences between how the French treat Muslims in their country and how China treats Tibetans, but on the other hand the Chinese are just as harsh on the Muslim Uighurs. No one ever hears about the Uighurs being oppressed. So it could be prejudice, but then you have Muslim Albanians in the Balkans

I guess it boils down to politics and greed in regards to who gets what support.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Simple reason: Tibetan Culture honours and teaches peace.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

*Gigglesnort*

Thus the whole "rioting and setting fire to stuff" right?

Ah well. I can't blame them - or the folks in Paris. When put into a crap position by a government that just will not listen, well, what're you gonna do?

I was simply noting the double standard in the way hte US handles the situation.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
Such tiny group of separatist won't make big trouble.
Tibet will never separate from China.
Separatist? You are Chinese arent you.
Chinese invaded a sovereign state or country. They arent separatists.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Wonder why we didn't tell France the same things when Muslims were, ahem, protesting in Paris.

"Guys, we know the theocratic sorts are setting fire to the city, but please, use restraint!"
Not sure where you are from, but I think you are mixing things up and not properly informed.

I happen to live in Europe, near France, have friends in Paris. And you are talking about two different, totally different things here.

As far as I know, Paris is French. As far as I know, Paris , and certainly the banlieus there where never a sovereign state, but I could be wrong of course..

Edit : read your post after it.. get your point but still do not see the comparison.

Also , I think the way the Chinese act is still quite different than the French manner .

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Skyfloating

*Gigglesnort*

Thus the whole "rioting and setting fire to stuff" right?

Ah well. I can't blame them - or the folks in Paris. When put into a crap position by a government that just will not listen, well, what're you gonna do?

I was simply noting the double standard in the way hte US handles the situation.
Yes and no. Its not always the Gouvernment at fault in Paris /Brussels /Berlin.. In much cases, the immigrants simply refuse to adapt, and then I do not only talk about muslims. Law is law. And if you come there, you live by it. Don't agree? Don't come.

In Tibet, they have no choice. CHina invaded it, in France, Belgium , Germany, the places where riots where, the immigrants did have a choice, after all they came there did they not?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
At this particular moment in time, i believe the correct idea for such truth-seekers as we is to "Keep them eyes open".

This is a perfect situation for a false-flag operation, and it would be foolish to assume such things cannot happen with relevance to China, or perhaps even N.K.

mental note: Chinese False-Flag ops?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
That's a scary thought..

I was reading some comments on a blog on one the major news webistes (can't remember if it was aol or world news) but apparently china has closed off their side of everest to mountaineers and also 'rumours' of chinese snipers in the mountains outside tibet.

I do have to again state they are rumours and not official reports.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I am here, this reaches to my very soul.
Sending out the messages to my people and creating a beautiful morning of prayer and meditation to increase the enery going out to help my brothers and sisters.

Namaste

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join