It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq: teachers told to rewrite history

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Iraq: teachers told to rewrite history

www.independent.co.uk

Britain's biggest teachers' union has accused the Ministry of Defence of breaking the law over a lesson plan drawn up to teach pupils about the Iraq war. The National Union of Teachers claims it breaches the 1996 Education Act, which aims to ensure all political issues are treated in a balanced way.

Teachers will threaten to boycott military involvement in schools at the union's annual conference next weekend, claiming the lesson plan is a "propaganda" exercise and makes no mention of any civilian casualties as a result of the war.

They believe the instructions, designed for use during classroom discussions in general studies or personal, social and health education (PSE) lessons, are arguably an attempt to rewrite the history of the Iraq invasion just as the world prepares to mark its fifth anniversary.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Not content with attempting to pull the wool over our eyes, the MoD has now been accused of using propaganda in SCHOOLS!

This blatant attempt to brainwash impressionable children is beyond despicable and starts to approach tactics more suitable under a hitler or stalin regime.

A lesson plan by an organisation called "Kids Connections for the Ministry of Defence" is at the heart of this, and my question is this - What the hell have kids got to do with the MoD?
Are our schools now to become recruitments centres for the military?
Interestingly, the teachers notes use the US spelling of programme - "program"
Is there something even more sinister going on?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sounds like in that show Jericho . Where Jennings and rall went around passing out new history books . And trying to force the people to teach that stuff . Scary stuff.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
*Edited my moronic mistake* LOL!

This is absolutely sickening stuff. Note the connection to the "U.S. language"...Sounds like a coordinated effort to me!

[edit on 14-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Closed in error.
Please return to the regularly scheduled debate

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thanks so much!

This is a VERY important topic! Starred and flagged!

I hope everyone is paying close attention---This is brainwashing propegandized indoctrination of our children courtesy of the government!!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thanks very much, and much respect as well to DD for going the extra mile.

The spirit of ATS is alive and well

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thats disgraceful. I can't believe they are trying to do such a thing.

As one of the commentors on the post on the Independants site says, it smacks of the kind of thing that used to get fed to the Hitler Youth. Another likens it to the stuff the Soviets used to come out with.

I personally do not want to see Fox Views reporting taught to my kids.

I wonder if this is why homeschooling is getting such a rough ride in the UK and US at the present moment in time?

Good on the NUT for highlighting this. I hope they stick to their morals and don't teach it.

[edit on 14/0308/08 by neformore]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Interesting read. I think some adults should read the article to sort out fact from fiction about the invasion of Iraq. As far as editing the education of our kids, it's really no surprise. I never believed half the crap I was taught in school anyway.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It's worse than a disgrace - it's the lowest form of propaganda.

Imagine kids coming home and telling parents who REALLY knew what's happened with iraq?

The NUT aren't always my favourite people, but in this case they deserve a big pat on the back.

I still can't get over this: "Kids Connections for the Ministry of Defence"
What the hell is that about.

< < blood pressure rising, need to take deep breaths

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
One day I'll get a friend of mine to post on here about "Conexxions", which is basically a rather sinister state sponsored organisation that has several powers to interfere with family life, and works under the pretext of "guiding" teenagers.

Some of the stuff Blair snuck in quietly is quite disturbing.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Nef, is that the guys that have work placement places in town highstreets and advertise job vacancys and training opportunities in the window?

If it is, I've heard some bad things about them - only rumour though, so I won't post it.

[edit on 14/3/2008 by budski]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

They're the guys alright

You would be amazed at some of the snooping powers they have into family life, and the connections to social services.

Thats for another time though

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Indeed,
and this attempt to brainwash children is yet another example of the insidious nature of this government.

"New" labour want only 3 things;

control

control

and more control

They have obviously read some old "literature" which says they should get them young and indoctrinate them early.

I'm appalled and sickened - but no longer surprised,,,

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I have to say Ministry Of Truth from Orwell's 1984 sprang to my mind as soon as I read the title.

I'm just glad teachers are going to at least try and boycott it, best of luck to them.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ok so this is the thread

Yes this is pretty scary. The war is STILL going on and they are already re-writing the story? Amazing.

Yea, we went into Iraq to 'get rid of Saddam'.

Is that right?

Is that what I'm hearing constantly from my fellow Americans? Sadly Yes; They actually believe that drivel.

The rest of us with actual attention spans and working memory seem to remember things differently...

- First we were told to go after Osama.
- Then we were told to forget Osama.
- Then we were told Iraq had WMD's.
-Then we were told Iraq did not have any WMD's.
- Then we were told we need to go to Iraq to get rid of Saddam.
- Then we got rid of Saddam.
- Then we were told we need to stay and completely rebuild the country and set up a new democracy.

And now we are somehow in a 100 year war?

At this point the average Americans memory has been completely warped. To this day you see pro-war sentiment expressed by people who subscribe to this FALSE history.

They're all around you. It's frightening really. It feels like some of the population has had their brains sucked out and the rest of us are standing around trying to slap them awake...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What good fortune for governments that the people do not think.
Adolf Hitler

in my sig as well.

He may have been a monster, but he was also politically astute and a master manipulator.

I know what you mean about attention spans - I like to call it "the goldfish effect"

[edit on 14/3/2008 by budski]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
terrible , the american spelling really shows where this comes from. The US has a bit of a history with things like this. Good to see the NUT standing up to it.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
why the hell do we want to teach the futrure gens how much of a bunch of idiot's we have all been this should be coverd up in all senses of the word! it was an illigal war lol

keep teaching them about ww2 and the great victorys there imo

maybe this is wot its to do with deep down so every world cup we dont take the micky out of france for running away and the germans for lossing 2 world wars, would kinda fit in with browns euro dreams

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

And don't forget the italian tanks,
1 forward gear and 4 reverse

Seriously though, this really is a shocker - and I think that the militant members of the NUT will have a big part to play in this. Some don't want our children taught anything about britains past, because of imperialism - they forget that it was because we were such a strong nation at the time that slavery was abolished.

I really dislike this type of propaganda.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join