It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

freedom under fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

freedom under fire

www.cnn.com

AR15 misfires and owner is charged with a felony for owning a machine gun. atf kicks down his door.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-3-2008 by bamaoutlaw]

[edit on 14-3-2008 by bamaoutlaw]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a felony? this is crazy!!!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Agreed. It's a damned shame that the government now thinks that a simple gun malfunction constitutes a felony offense. It's not like this person was planning to convert the gun in question to a fully automatic one.

Get it government???!?!!!! It was an ACCIDENT!! GET OVER IT ALREADY!!

Sorry, but I get a little hot under the collar when stupidity raises it's ugly head...

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
What were the details of the weapon? I was not
able to watch
the video.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Ree

Could you possibly elaborate a bit by what you mean when you say "details of the weapon"? Are you talking about what happened?

If so, the gun was loaned by this man(the felon) to a buddy of his, and his buddy went shooting with it. He fired some 800+ rounds with it when it jammed. When the gun unjammed, more than one bullet left the gun with one pull of the trigger, making it, by definition, a machine gun.

My big problem is summed up in two questions:

1) Why is a malfunction considered willful intent?

and

2) How did the law find out about this? Was someone there to witness it? Or did the guy go and tell the law?

Baffled by this, I am.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

Thanks. Did it say what type of bolt it had, or if it had a 3 round burst/ fully auto? Was the man with his buddy when he was shooting? 800 rounds would take a while to shoot with semi-auto if you were actually concentrating. What the heck was he shooting at?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The government will use and abuse any excuse to take away guns, get used to it people, its happening now.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Ree

It is doubtful that it was 3 round bust or fully auto. I say this because in the US, you cannot own a fully automatic "assult rifle" which is why the charges state that it was a "machine gun" (even though this was definately not an M249 or anything of the sorts...)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Unfortunatly, this has always been that way. This is not new. I knew a guy that was shooting his berretta 9mm at a local shooting range. The gun malfunctioned and shot 4 shot full auto. This is usually due most often due to poor assembly or the firing pin got jammed into the forward position. Someone reported him who was at the gallery and ATF came after him that day. Just a note to all.... If this ever happens to you and your gun malfunctions and turns full auto on you. IMMEDIATLY disassemble it and take it straight away to a gunsmith for repairs. DO NOT pass home... DO NOT pass go.... Go straight to the gunsmith for repairs. If ATF still comes after you, you can show that you are having the gun repaired back to legal status. Shows it was not intentioonal, the gunsmith can give a statement that the gun was not "converted" to full auto on purpose and that it is being repaired. You may also want to tell the manager of the shooting gallery as they are probably the ones who reported you. They are required by law to report it, even if it is an obvious malfunction. Tell them which gunsmith you are taking it to. If you do not know a gunsmith, they will be able to recommend a gunsmith and go straight to the gunsmith. This will lighten the ATF if you follow these rules as you can document and prove that you did not intentially and puposefully modify the gun to full auto.

[edit on 3/14/2008 by Amaxium]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
could the atf not tell if the gun malfunctioned or was actually converted? would there be a difference i really dont know?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
#1. Yes, a knowlegable gunsmith would be able to tell what specifically malfunctioned and how. The gunsmith you use would be able to vouch for this to the ATF if they investigate further.

#2 By you immediatly getting the gun repaired also shows that it was not intentionally converted.

#3 If it is a legal gun to own, it malfunctions, you get it fixed immediatly, you did all you are expected to do. Charges would be dropped and dismissed. If the ATF has proof that you did intentionally, knowingly, purposfully convert the gun to full auto, then your in trouble as that is breaking the law. Then the ATF would be all over you like a bear on honey.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Yes, this criminal activity by the state of Wisconsin against good
people is going on, has been going on, and certainly will continue to
go on!

Plus, of course, the federal au6th6ori6 ties are turning
as many sheeple into felons, and mental cases that they can; so it's
easier for them to round you/me/us up whenever they feel the need to
exercise their fascist, tyrannical, dictatorial powers!

Beware the ills of "The People's Republic of the Former United States of
America" (and corporatocracy)!

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FRIGHTENER]tried to

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FRIGHTENER]get the

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FRIGHTENER]colors just

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FRIGHTENER]right!

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Do you have a readable source ? I don't have speakers . And doubt people at work can view videos either..

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bamaoutlaw
could the atf not tell if the gun malfunctioned or was actually converted? would there be a difference i really dont know?

There are people who convert guns, use them, and then return them back to normal. Just having posession of burst/auto parts along with the weapon it can be used in is for the most part illegal. It is also why any apparent MG sounding fire must be reported, as the ATF and law enforcement don't show up instantly in teleporters.

"Duh, it just malfunctioned, I promise. (because I reassembled my weapon)"

No, that does not go over well, and it shouldn't.

new topics

top topics

join