It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statins: what they don't tell you

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Identical problems, only with the drug Adderall. The damage is permanent, weakness, difficulty seeing, taking in full breath, numbness, tingling, etc. NOT GOOD!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Quarantine

Well you know what Adderall is right?

There are several drugs that people are having bad reactions to, one of which has some scary stories (atypical opioids, pain killers - Tramadol, or Ultram). Class action suits abound. It causes supposedly severe addition even stronger than heroin in susceptible people.

I was given that for pain and the doc never said a word about addition problems in some.

Taking Vioxx caused a feeling of impending doom. When I reported that they immediately took me off of it and I had a feeling like they knew about it. (Why not just say 'ok if you start feeling like doom, let us know and we'll try something else).

I blame big pharma who even puts it over on the Docs (who should, imo, know better and should clue us in.)

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
When you consider the Lipitor taking populaiton as a whole you might find that the benefits of Lipitor outweigh the risks and side effects. Unfortunately, there are a significant number of people in the Liptior taking population that get the short end of the stick. These people either suffer from side effects more than the average or normal person and/or they receive less benefits than the average or normal person.

If you happen to take a drug like Lipitor and it is doing good things for you, by all means you should probably continue taking it. If it is causing you great harm and/or doing little good, you should look into alternatives like modifying your diet, exercise, and other drugs. Take the initiative to probe into alternatives. Ask your doctor questions about alternatives, side effects, etc. whenever he gives medical advice. Doctors are not gods and they are just as likely to make errors or poor decisions at their job as the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I've specifically said in my diatribes against Big Pharma that no one should take it upon themselves to drop what their doc has prescribed them, so here's a good time to make that disclaimer.

How is it you are in a position to say that Lipitor is of benefit for a majority? ISTM there is not a clear cut benefit, or outcome - after 30% risk it's considered unethical to use placebo double-blind trials.

It's not an easy solution like taking aspirin, high benefit low risk.

The bad part is that often the side effects are life-long even after discontinuing therapy.

So always, always consult your physician and never take advice on an Inter web forum.

Good points.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I mention that I am feeling much better since stopping the Lipitor, and I am feeling much better, however, the tingling in my legs and hands has not stopped, I still have headaches reguarly, I think I have permanant damage, I have been fully robbed of my libido, now my next drug would be hormones, estrogen, if I just take what the doc gives me, but I am looking into more holistic methods of curing the libido problem ( don't try the watermelon rind, just guess why), one look into the use of estrogen and hell no! Another drug that has far more side effects than I am willing to endure!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Yeah taking hormones is risky business, but if you want it for your sex drive you would be best off taking one with testosterone anyway, as that is what would raise your drive.

Premarin, the leading estrogen replacement therapy is the product of HORRIBLE animal abuse. They lock pregnant horses up in tight stalls and collect their urine with machines 24/7, and god only knows what they do with their foals. The animals suffer greatly. A lot of people that realize how it is made will NOT use it.

There are other forms of HRT that are made without torturing pregnant female animals.

Today, there are 484 horse factories located in southern and central Canada and North Dakota witch hold about 750,000 horses. The biggest Percherons and Clydsdales and large Thouroughbreds are used-the noblest of horses-the larger the mare the more urine and estrogen she can produce. The mares are artificially inseminated and forced to spend their 11-month pregnancies in stalls so small they cannot turn. If they try to lie down there heads are jolted upright by chains.

Long lines of pregnant horses stand, chained and strapped into cramped concrete and steel pens like rows of four legged slaves. They shuffle uncomfortably from hoof to hoof. A forlorn look fills their eyes as they stare. Their coats are dull, their ears droopy-telltale signs of a horse's misery. Many develop sore, swollen legs or become crippled from standing months on end in their tiny concrete stalls.

The mares are kept constantly thirsty. They are denied water so that their urine becomes thick. If they where allowed to drink as a normal horse needs, it would over-dilute their estrogen. A rubber, medieval looking "pee-bag" and harness is strapped over the mares vaginas by elastic hoses, secured around there flanks; and run over a pulley to the ceiling above them, causing sores which are left open and untreated. Most develop painful urinary tract infections due to the inhumane conditions.

www.healthboards.com...

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Although I can't suggest that what the OP wants is probably testosterone, that is correct - it will increase libido. Side effects may be variable. Not sure you could find an MD who would prescribe that (of course in lower doses than for males).

Totally agree on the Premarin, which is short for "Pregnant Mare Urine".

Glad to hear the OP is doing better and thanks again for the initial post!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01Although I can't suggest that what the OP wants is probably testosterone, that is correct - it will increase libido. Side effects may be variable. Not sure you could find an MD who would prescribe that (of course in lower doses than for males).

A while back I looked into HRT because I had to have surgery and if they found malignancy they were going to cut everything out. Not a choice on my part, they decide while you are under. The idea of HRT or surgical menopause scared the @#$% out of me; it sounded like hell.

Testosterone alone would be unusual for females but there are HRT supplements that have estrogen and testosterone (and not mfg in a bad way).

But honestly if your hormone values look normal I would not just assume that your lowered sex drive is hormone based. We are particular creatures, any number of things can kill our sex drives.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I quite agree on getting levels, but even with decent levels drive can be lower - must be a synergy between E or T and other things for females.

Might be better to treat symptoms than going strictly by numbers. IOW, try a course and if it makes you feel better that's sufficient justification.

Interestingly with the weight loss my levels doubled.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I quite agree on getting levels, but even with decent levels drive can be lower - must be a synergy between E or T and other things for females.

Yeah when it comes to female hormones or sex drive it is very mysterious indeed. Unless it is an OBVIOUS problem...think three times...as they will always come up with an answer...it shows they are edumacated.

Personally I do not trust the lot of them, unless it is something documented and definite.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Hi Badge,
sorry to dredge up an old post. I just wanted to point out, many people refer to Tramadol (Ultram) as an atypical opiate when its really not. The word "atypical" when applied to narcotic analgesics, refer to opiates that provide analgesia via the kappa opioid receptor (like Fortral, Stadol, Nubain and to an extent Dromoran) instead of the mu opioid receptor which most narcotic
drugs (Morphine, Fentanyl etc.) activate.

IMHO, Tramadol received far more attention than it really deserves. The drug companies initially marketed it as a non-narcotic analgesic whilst saying that it gave pain relief via the "mu opioid receptor". This is contradictory because drugs that activate this receptor (agonists) are *narcotics*. They later changed their tune to call it atypical just because it has SNRI properties. In truth....

1) Many other opiates and opioids have SSRI properties;
2) Tramadol's actual SSRI effects are paltry;

Before SSRIs became popular, the most commonly prescribed anti-depressants were the dirty old Tricyclics. The "gold standard" of tricyclic antidepressants is Imipramine (Tofranil). The starting therapeutic dose of Imipramine in an adult is about 50mg; in a child, it is 25mg.

Tramadol's SSRI effects were comparable to ....... not 1 but a whopping 2mg of imipramine! *gasp*

Ultram is one of the most over-rated of narcotic drugs. The worst part is that the withdrawal syndrome from long term use can be really bad (whilst I wouldn't compare it with heroin (there is a difference of at least 40X in potency), I do recall cases of people being put on Methadone for an Ultram addiction.

Sorry to deviate from the thread....
As for Statins, the only word I associate with them is "cardiomyopathy" (weakening of the muscles that support the heart)

[edit on 5-11-2008 by AnubisOfTheEastandWest]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Taking Udos oil and following a healthy diet should work pretty well for bad cholesterol levels.
Udos oil is good stuff,Dr Udos has done lots of research on fats etc....google him or Udos Oil!
For the hormonal things if they dont settle down try The Bowen technique or reflexology

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
In addition to an elevated cholesterol count and cardiac problems, Iam also prescribed morphine oxycodone, muscle relaxers and etodolac for chronic pain. Also many other things for PTSD symptoms and high blood preasure that only occurs when I am n a doctors office..... I have take statens and thought that I was dying. When ever I ran into people that I hadn't seen in a while they were shocked at my appearance and asked what was wrong..... I lost my appetite, lost 70 Lbs. (mostly muscle) and experienced all of the same negative reactions that have been previously mentioned in the OP.... The V.A. wants me to provide them with results that can be measured in a laboratory and really had a hard time realizing what was happening to me as long as the blood work proved that the staten drug was working.... Finally my change in appearance and pain level registered and now staten drugs are listed in my records as an allergy. The stuff really messed me up and I am still not the same as I was and don't think I ever will be.... If you can exercise, eat lots of veggies and fish, avoid, organ, red and fat meat,dairy fat, tropical oils,it will help a lot. Eating eggs and pork isn't a bad thing unless the chickens laying the eggs are not able to scratch and forage and the swine are not able to free range....Wild game of most any sort is very low in cholesterol and if you process it yourself you will know that it is done right..... This is a conspiracy forum and there is a corporate conspiracy to feed you crap that will make you sick. When you do get sick the drug companies can keep you that way by feeding you crap that will allow the corporate run hospitals to steal whatever they can from your estate and bilk your children out of their inheritance.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Get a new Dr ASAP!

I'm 28 and have gone through 3 surgery's on my wrist because of a snowboarding accident ( well 2, the next one is next week lol). Because of this I had Dr's early on tell me to just take as much Ibuprofen as I needed for the pain and my wrist would never be fixed. I was taking almost 2400Mg per day and needless to say I started having major issues. One of the issues was my BP went crazy.

I switched my wrist dr and got off the pain killers but my normal dr just kept pushing for me to get on BP medicine and scared me enough that I finally fell for it. I felt horrible and went on 3 different types and different dosages but then I noticed I started having other issues like you mentioned above. One you didn't mention and is something to worry about is the possibility of losing your memory. I started feeling like I was forgetting things and this really worried me so I started to read online. I was amazed at how all the problems I had ( wife and friends said it was in my head) were what others had when on statins.
My Dr then informs me that you can't really get off the meds once you start because you have a chance of having a rebound stroke or heart attack.

I do more research and change my Dr about a year ago, I now feel much better and I no longer am on any med. My blood pressure is perfect and the problems I had are gone for the most part. I learned to always research anything that a Dr tells you about meds and not to settle for a Dr because there is very good ones available.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I have the benefit of many doctors now that I am tied into the V.A. system and actually for the last eight or ten years getting medical care that I couldn't afford or get insurance coverage for when I was younger, due to injuries incurred when I was a teenager and in the Marine Corps. I did and do have very bad issues with my memory and there is no doubt in my mind that the medication I have taken and am now taking is doing a number on my intellectual capabilities.... It is creating a lot of frustration for me but not as bad as it has been in the past.... I am hoping that I can put my motorcycle back together sometime in the future, or just to be able to post without having to use a dictionary to look up the spelling of words that I used in a post a day before.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join