It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Iraqi Insurgents Emboldened by Antiwar Reporting?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Are Iraqi Insurgents Emboldened by Antiwar Reporting?

www.usnews.com

Are insurgents in Iraq emboldened by voices in the news media expressing dissent or calling for troop withdrawals from Iraq? The short answer, according to a pair of Harvard economists, is yes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Pretty interesting article. So what should we do? better yet, what the media should do? Apparently negative coverage about the war emboldens the resolve of the insurgents. Should our media or should we be more careful on what we say about the war?

Personally I think we should speak out to whatever is happening over there, no matter the repercusions. Besides the insurgents should not be that motivated right now, the surge has cut deep into their organizations.

www.usnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I'm pretty sure 'insurgents' don't have access to Western media so the point is null.

Protesting a bull# war doesn't give support to those we fight anyway.

We need to bring our troops home and actually start 'supporting them.'

Those who say "Support the Troops" and wish their continued suffering either care little about their well being or are completely brainwashed.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
I'm pretty sure 'insurgents' don't have access to Western media so the point is null.

Really? Boy, they sure seem to have access when it comes time to download their newest decapitation video.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yeah and I wonder how they're uploaded...Courtesy of Western intelligence.

Even if the antiwar movement/reporting emboldens the 'insurgency,' does that really matter?

These people are fighting for their country, for freedom, and we have the gall to tell them otherwise?

I'm sorry Harvard economists. You are wrong. Go over to Iraq, talk with the 'insurgents', find out their motives, and then come back and make that ridiculous claim again. You won't be able to because you will know you're wrong.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Amazingly, you know they are wrong without even looking at the data. Or maybe you did. In that case, care to point out any methodology flaws or logical flaws in their studies conclusions?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
does turning a blind eye to gestapo interrogation tactics and daily civilian casualties embolden dominonist factions in the military?

i think people need to acknowledge the coup that has happened within this government.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Are ignorant/ill-informed "Patriotic" Americans further emboldened to support and condone the illegal occupation and subjugation of a sovereign country by the biased pro-war reporting of the Main Stream Media at the heavy-handed direction of the Imperial Bush administration and it's greed motivated corporate Masters?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

I think you have a point, but remember this war was sold on lies, and I think that once those lies were exposed and the insurgency started to gain ground, the perception of the American people quickly changed about the war and President Bush. Hence the cliche, Support the Troops, Not the War.

The media should be allowed to report things in the matter they see fit anyways.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Really? Boy, they sure seem to have access when it comes time to download their newest decapitation video.

Yes, a handful of extremists decapitated a prisoner. It was horrible. But how does it excuse a criminal war of occupation? A war that has sucked America dry and destroyed Americas global status?

Is it relevant at all? Nope. It was propoganda and it worked brilliantly.

Just like this 'embolden' the terrorist charade. Propoganda. Terrorists are not flooding the street because Lou Dobbs does a critical review of the War in Iraq.

You can fabricate as many studies as you like, and wave your political fingers all you want... the only thing embolding the terrorist is American occupation.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Of course they are emboldended.
They are right, they are fighting for a just cause, and anything, even the smallest comment can give someone further hope and courage to fight to illegial invaders.

Now see, If this was a just war, a war of survival for the west, only a 'real' traitor or appeaser would be calling for troops to withdrawl.

Ie,
imagine american teens on the streets in 1944 calling for troops to leave France.. It wouldnt happen, because we REALLY were fighting th goodfight.

I think so many people get angry about this because they cannot fathom the position them, and their country is in. America be the opressor, the aggressor, the rogue state?.. never...!

.. until now!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

You can fabricate as many studies as you like, and wave your political fingers all you want... the only thing embolding the terrorist is American occupation.

Could not agree more, I dont understand this studies sometimes. Also I remember when I was in Iraq the discussions that we would see on TV in the U.S. that people should not talk bad about the war because that would demoralize the troops and to be honest thats a bunch of crap too.

Troops that are over there doing the fighting have better things to worry about like staying ALIVE, rather than to worry about what people in the U.S. are saying about the war.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
Troops that are over there doing the fighting have better things to worry about like staying ALIVE, rather than to worry about what people in the U.S. are talking about the war.

When I was over there, we mostly thought of anyone making anti-war statements as people that had no freakin' clue about what was actually going on there.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
When I was over there, we mostly thought of anyone making anti-war statements as people that had no freakin' clue about what was actually going on there.

That isn't the experience of other soldiers... downtime is often spent discussing how crappy the war is and how they can't wait to go home. I hesitate to call that 'anti-war'.

Iraq Veterans against the war is an acknowledged coalition of veterans who KNOW THAT the war is bullox. They were there, they watched innocent people die, they came home and told us what we already know : this war is BS.

If you really want to get in a huff about emboldening terrorists, consider the fact that our own soldiers are asking us to end the war. Should we call these soldiers un-American? Traitors? No. They are just human beings like the rest of us. Capable of sound moral judgement fighting to maintain the pride and integrity of their country.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
That's a lie. Iraq Veterans against the war is an acknowledged coalition of veterans who KNOW THAT the war is bullox. They were there, they watched innocent people die, they came home and told us what we already know : this war is BS.

If you really want to get in a huff about emboldening terrorists, consider the fact that our own soldiers are asking us to end the war. Should we call these soldiers un-American? Traitors? No. They are just human beings like the rest of us. Capable of sound moral judgement fighting to maintain the pride and integrity of their country.

Well, I'm not too concerned with the Iraqi Veterans against the war think. That's their own business and they are welcome to it. It's a free country and they can protest all they want to.

Now, the point I have a question about is your "That's a lie" statement. So you were there with me when I flew into A-stan in 2001? You were right with me when I went into Iraq in Mar 2003? Hmmmm, if so, I don't remember you. *Sarcasm off*

Seriously, you weren't with me, you don't know what the members of my squadron said or did. So, please, take a seat and finish the coloring book before you make any more statements like that. You weren't there.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

I dont like to speak for others but I feel compelled to interject here.

When I was over there was about the time of the first Iraqi parliamentary elections in 2005. The insurgency was strong at that time and the coverage that the media had about the war was completely negative.

But I felt proud of what I was doing over there, as part of my job I had the chance to oversee lots of construction projects to improve the life of the Iraqi citizens, much of the people that I encounter in Iraq were good people, that their only goal was to have a decent living.

Yes you can argue that the war is illegal or sold on lies or whatever else, but we started this mess and we have to finish it, not to defeat the terrorist but to help the people of Iraq, thats our responsability.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

When I was over there was about the time of the first Iraqi parliamentary elections in 2005. The insurgency was strong at that time and the coverage that the media had about the war was completely negative.

But I felt proud of what I was doing over there, as part of my job I had the chance to oversee lots of construction projects to improve the life of the Iraqi citizens, much of the people that I encounter in Iraq were good people, that their only goal was to have a decent living.

I was over there at the same time you were (Dec 2005). I felt the same way you did. Really felt like we were making a difference. People were risking their lives to vote. People here in the US can't imagine something like that.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

...according to a pair of Harvard economists...

Because you know, a degree in economics means you know what the hell you're talking about! Puhleeze, these are the guys who sit in their chairs and shrug when we ask them about the economy, we're going to take them at their opinion on what insurgents in Iraq are thinking? Goddamned economists. GO back to pretending you're scientists.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Yes can argue that the war is illegal or sold on lies or whatever else, but we started this mess and we have to finish it, not to defeat the terrorist but to help the people of Iraq, thats our responsability.

With all due respect, in truth, "we" didn't start this mess.

The NeoCon chickenhawks, at the behest of their corporate masters, began this travesty.

And now "we" have been left holding the bag, while "they" wallow in their blood-profits and lay the groundwork for their next big escapade in Iran.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Because you know, a degree in economics means you know what the hell you're talking about! Puhleeze, these are the guys who sit in their chairs and shrug when we ask them about the economy, we're going to take them at their opinion on what insurgents in Iraq are thinking? Goddamned economists. GO back to pretending you're scientists.

You got that right!! Nothing like going to the horse's mouth for information and advice!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join