It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Pastor Blames America for 9-11

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

The double standard with "PC" has driven this blatant problem to the back pages for too long. Lets be truthful, had this been a white church and Obama was white, he would never have even gotten this far.
reply to post by jbondo

I couldn't agree more. Also, if this had been Hillary's pastor and you replaced the words 'rich white people' with 'poor black people' she would be under such fire that she would be forced to drop out of the race immediately. Yet Obama may waltz through this scandal unscathed?

If Hillary's campaign doesn't use this information against Obama now, you can bet your last dollar that the Republicans will have a field day with this during the general election. Right-wing radio is already frothing at the mouth over it.

Do people in the US really want a president they can't criticize without being called a racist? Do we want a president who has long-standing ties with someone who actually is on record blaming white Americans for 9-11, but who isn't suggesting a conspiracy or cover-up from the government? These things should be taken into consideration before Obama represents the Democratic party as its nominee, in my humble opinion.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
im not posting to argue,or debate with anyone i just wish to say that i listened to the whole video,and i honestly didn't hear anything hateful or anything that i really disagree with his basic point imo was to sway the black voters that were for Hilary,to realize that as much as they think hil is bill and likes black folk,that Hilary has never been threw the struggles of an African American,she has never been called a 'n-word',she has never been in a single income household and has had the well off white lifestyle her whole life so in that sense she cannot relate and when she says she can its a falsity,now maybe he didn't need to use some of the words he said,but again even when he was saying god damn America its all about the context you take it in,i am a proud American and love the us but i to have my g-damn America moments....as im sure all of us have had before for one reason or another or we wouldn't be on a conspiracy forum would we?also i would like to add he is not from this speech directly spewing hate about white he's just stating truth this country is run by rich white people....so whats the problem?

that is all,
Future Flow

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Does anyone else have any things to share that further elucidates the connection between this pastor and Obama? And how much influence this pastor may be having on Obama.

I have plenty, these are things I knew about for a long time, even though this pastor has retired, he is now Obama spiritual campagin advisor.

Obama was a member for twenty years, this is not the only hate filled speach by Wright, Obama must think people are stupid.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
It's people like the pastor that keeps the race issue alive. Him, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and others who just can't get past the past. This is 2008 and there's been so many black successful men and women and I honestly feel that anyone can and will be President some day.

you are right and wrong and here is exactly why,people like al sharpton and jesse jackson do fan the flames and keep issues alive that don't need to be and blow things out of proportion.BUT...and this is a big BUT.even with as many successful and well of blacks as there are now days,racism is still alive well kicking and more then prevalent in many cases sure there is less outright racism but there is also to match the racism that does exist just as much sub-conscious racism as well as people who are to ignorant to realize they are racist....im a African American,i have allot of very cool Caucasian friends...but there are allot of white people i meet who don't deal with black people on a regular basis and interact with me the way they see on television and buy into stereo types and that in itself is racism,not as bad as walking up and saying hi mr n!@#!,but still makes us feel the same kinda way.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Frankly, nothing I've heard from Obama's pastor is anything that unusual.
Lots of hyperbole, and lots of dramatics that are typical of urban minority activist preachers.

Call me when Obama's preacher calls for genocide, then I'll be worried.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I have plenty, these are things I knew about for a long time, even though this pastor has retired, he is now Obama spiritual campagin advisor.

Can you elaborate on 'he is now Obamas spiritual campaign advisor', maybe just highlight key facts. I don't know too much so anything will be appreciated.

Anything else too, as I was hoping it would be posted in this thread

[edit on 053131p://14u58 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Obama has already spoken against the pastor calling his remaks "inflammatory" among other things. He wrote a long response for the huffington post

The Huffington Post

The pastor of my church, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who recently preached his last sermon and is in the process of retiring, has touched off a firestorm over the last few days. He's drawn attention as the result of some inflammatory and appalling remarks he made about our country, our politics, and my political opponents.

Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.

Obama speaks out against pastor

edit for spelling

[edit on 14-3-2008 by whoreallyknows]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I've been to this church a couple of times over the past 3 years. In fact, my cousin's wedding was conducted by Pastor Wright in 2007. He's what
I call a nice, but a "different" kind of Pastor. The wedding was unlike
anything I've ever witnessed. Beautiful but very different.

What bugs me about the church and his rhetoric is that a large number of
the parishoners are very well-to-do African Americans. My cousin is a
high-level (female) attorney for the government. You'd think from his
rhetoric that everyone there was getting the short end of the stick. Quite
the contrary. The church is beautiful and late model high-end cars fill the
parking lot.

I would like to know how often Barack Obama attended the church. From
what I hear, it was very seldom. I suppose if he said that he rarely went
to church, this would open up another can of worms amongst his
Christian supporters.

Why the heck does ANYONE speak hate about this country, but take
advantage of its many opportunities? You'd expect someone with as
much dislike for the USA as Pastor Wright to pack their bags and move
to Africa, or someplace that they feel is less of a criminal nation!
Go figure....

CWM (Chicago)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I think people like Pastor Wright would reply that if we cannot criticize America, then we'll never be able to make it better.

Still, it's pretty clear that Wright and Obama have very different approaches.

I was going to post Obama's response but whoreallyknows beat me to it.

I think it's good that he chose a public Internet post to clarify his position.

Maybe if he gets elected we'll get to post comments on a Presidential blog, that would be interesting

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

I have to give Obama credit, he's calling the comments what they are "appalling", and not trying to sugar coat them or wiggle words or say they are out of context...like many other politicians do.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by whoreallyknows]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Every thing shown so far on the news said by this man is RACIST flat out racism.It can never stop if its spread and waved in acceptance in churches just like the waving and acceptance of the word of God!

Roddney king said it best(Can't we all get along),This man is the problem not the solution.

Obama , i don't know?,It would be interesting to see who he's had as nannies over the years,unless they have all moved back to central america.

Pat Paulson fof pres. (sock it to me)!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Maybe if he gets elected we'll get to post comments on a Presidential blog, that would be interesting

Now that is an idea!
I'd love to see something like that.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
I really do not care what his pastor thinks or says it does not mean that Obama is right there in the same belief.

Sure it does.

Obama picked Wright to baptise his kids.

Obama picked Wright to perform his marriage.

Obama picked Wrights church to contribute money to.

Obama picked Wrights church to attend for 20 years - and to sit and listen to Wright over and over and over.

Obama picked Wrights sermons to use as a title to his book "audacity of hope" - the title is a direct quote from WRight.

OF COURSE Obama has the same beliefs. If he didn't, he wouldn't have done all those things. If he disagreed with Wright he would have walked out the door and never looked back instead of spending all those years with the guy .. and even quoting him for the title of his book.

Obama claiming to not be in step with this guy is pathetic.
He truly IS in step with him.
AND YES, it's just as relevant as David Duke being in step with the Klan.

Originally posted by Alxandro
how does Obama expect to unite the country if he doesn't denounce this preacher of hate?

He can't. And all Obama's rhetoric about 'unity' is a bunch of bunk.
OBVIOUSLY. Obama is just as racist as WRight - otherwise he would have left that church decades ago .. throwing up as he left.

The fact that Obama sits in that church and gives money to it .. and doesn't get sick from the hate and error spewed from the pulpit ... that speaks volumes about his so called 'unity' for America.

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mule skinner

Err, he's been pretty brutally critical of the US government, but I haven't seen any quotes that would qualify as "racist".

Saying that rich white people mostly run the US isn't racist, it's simply a fact.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Raist
I really do not care what his pastor thinks or says it does not mean that Obama is right there in the same belief.

Sure it does.

Obama picked Wright to baptise his kids.

Obama picked Wright to perform his marriage.

Obama picked Wrights church to contribute money to.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong Flyers Fan, as I am not trying to instigate anything. But you're Catholic right (or am I confusing you with another member)? So then can I attribute pediofilia to you because it's been prevelant within the Catholic Church's ministry? Drastic example of course, but it shows the danger of making that kind of positive correlation.

I am not at all suggesting you are not correct in your claims here. But can you elaborate a little more on the direct influence this Pastor is having on Obama? Also, you did read Obama's response to Wrights rant right? It was posted a few posts up.

Obama picked Wrights church to attend for 20 years - and to sit and listen to Wright over and over and over.

Right. That's typical and expected for Church goers.

Obama picked Wrights sermons to use as a title to his book "audacity of hope" - the title is a direct quote from WRight.

See examples like this is what I was hoping to see

OF COURSE Obama has the same beliefs.

Quite a stretch IMHO.

[edit on 063131p://14u37 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Quite a stretch IMHO.

Not at all.

If he didn't have the same beliefs he would have walked out. He wouldn't have wasted 20 years, and all that time and money, at a place if he didn't agree. He wouldn't have been able to stomach the rhetoric if he didn't agree.

Example - Would YOU have been able to sit in a pew for 2 hours every sunday for 20 years, (and give money to the place), and listen to a bunch of neo-nazi crap? No. It would have made you sick to your stomach and you wouldn't have been able to take it. You would have left. Only someone who agreed with it could have handled it. Obviously Obama agreed.

And I don't for a minute buy that Obama was 'unaware' of these speeches. Not for a minute. They were available on DVD and the place advertised them. The people there were in the pews jumping up and down in full agreement with the rhetoric so it wasn't being spewed 'quietly'. It was well known.

As far as the Catholic pedophile comment. .... Big difference.

Catholics were UNAWARE that there were some priests involved. When they found out that some were, they usually weren't their own priests. In the cases where it was their own priests, they only found out AFTER the priests had been terminated from that parish.

In response - Catholics stopped giving money to the Bishops money drives and they formed their own watch groups. 'For the sake of God's Children' is in direct response to the pedophilia scandal.

Catholics didn't know that the pedophilia was happening and by the time they found out something had happened, the priests were gone and the only way to respond was to withhold $$$. No lay Catholic was in agreement with the pedophilia and in fact they banded together in response to it.

The direct opposite is true of the parishoners in Obama's church. They are fully aware of WRight and his rhetoric .. and they jump up and down in agreement in the pews when he starts spewing.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I just watched this video and I didn't hear anything wrong. What exactly did this preacher say that was so offensive?

What I heard was the contrast of two metaphors, basically those who are White and privileged against those who are Black and not privileged? Sure he used Obama's name and Hillary's name but their names were only being used in the context of metaphors in order to convey meaning and message. He referred more to the persona of each person rather than making reference to the actual persons. And it was not designed to create division but rather to illustrate the factors that conspire to limit a privileged or underprivileged person's view of what is going on around them. Factors which serve to divide one group of people against another group.

He made the comment that Hillary has never been told that she wasn't White enough. That's a reference to derogatory remarks that Black people who do well for themselves have sometimes had to face. Perhaps some have heard the phrase "Uncle Tom". That's where the reference comes from, and this type of mentality is causes great division and hatred between Black people. This is an illustration of how privilege and wealth can blind folks of one race and pit them against themselves.

Other illustrations provided in the preacher's sermon serve to illustrate other types of divisions and perceptions that are responsible for them.

The preacher begins by asking a series of questions about "Who cares?" The video clip then ends when the preacher says that he is glad there is a God who has taught him how not to give into hatred and instead to give into love. This is what one would expect in a Christian church.

I'm mystified as to what wrong has been said in this video. In my view, nothing wrong was said.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
I just watched this video and I didn't hear anything wrong. What exactly did this preacher say that was so offensive?

Hannity and Colmes (did I spell their names right?) are having an 'all-out' on this at 9:00 eastern tonight.

I haven't ever watched them .. but tonight I might. Isn't Hannity on the right and Colmes on the left? Something like that?

Anyways, they are supposed to have lots of clips, etc etc

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

you just said allot more eloquently what i was trying to say so i thank you this pastors message was not about hate and those who think it is may, and i say may as to not offend.....be personally offended thinking its black on white racism and that is not at all the case.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Sounds like Pastor Wright would fit right here at ATS. He espouses his conspiracy theories the same way many ATS member do. He presents some things as fact when they may be questionable. However, what he also does is provide room for reflection. To me, he doesn't seem to preach to brainwash, he seems to preach to get the congregation to think. He's seems to provide information that will have the members thinking long and hard about the situation here in America. Also, I don't think he means in a limited way "Damn America", I think he means damn what America has become. His sermon is couched in the context of history. Much of that history that he espouses is true. Some of it, to my knowledge, has yet to be proven. I'm not apologizing for him, but, maybe he has read different books than I have read?

Again, I don't know what the fuss is all about. If a politician gave a speech like he did in the link provided in the third article, he or she might have a following at least as large as Ron Paul's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join