It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we really run out of Food?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
We need an immediate investigation as to what is produced and where it is going. We need to list and name each company and expose any BS deals.

OPEC must pay twice the price. WE HAVE the POWER!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Not trying to start more of a conspiracy here than is necessary, BUT...
Anyone give any thought to the possibility that the food shortage may be engineered to allow for expansion into genetically altered and cloned food?
Cloned Food OK by FDA

Maybe the "secret" agenda involves the artificially created food shortage in an effort to bootstrap technologies that involve some of the currently banned technologies.
Genetically alter produce, and then clone it.
Then the livestock.
Then the farmers.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
One of the problems with planting a garden is that most gardens are too small. Residential zoning laws should be changed to allow us to turn our entire yards, front and back, into one large garden. And if you have a large enough yard, grow more than you need. You can help out those living in condos and apartments by sell your excess for a modest profit, maybe enough to support your garden expenses. When things get really bad, you're gonna need to do this anyhow. Ya might as well start right now with this, and grow as much as you can this summer .... just incase you had wish you had next winter.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I read that Dieoff.com article. very interesting.

I have the perfect solution to both problems, food shortage and overpopulation are both easily solved if you just listen to my modest proposal. heheheh. its like soylent green, you just need to process it and package it in such a way that the starving masses gobble it up without batting an eyelesh. feed the people to the people.

the only thing is people are not really good to eat. hard to digest. full of toxins and diseases and bacteria. etc. blech. they really would need to be processed a lot.

then the question arises, who gets eaten? nobody wants to be eaten. well, how about the very recently deceased. it could be on your drivers license like an organ doner only instead its a full body for food donation. lol

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
the credit crunch and high oil will not significently effect our food supply... a changing environment, collapse of both bee populations and fisheries will have far greater and more significent impacts and run more of a risk of causing a famine.

High oil and tight credit will just make things more expensive and harder on the poor and marginal, thats all.

As we said in the 70's "grow your own."

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The only way we could "run out" of food or have shortages is if we set price caps on food. That was one of the main causes of the gasoline shortages during the oil embargo (government price cap). It's simple economics, you'll find a price equilibrium; if the market can't support the price, the price will fall...so the short answer is "no"...maybe some "shortages" could occur in Eastern European countries and parts of Asia, but not the U.S. or Western Europe. Frankly a "shortage" by today's terms would be more like normal, considering we've been living in excess since the late 80s. Let's think of this from a U.S. agrarian economic stand point: Corn prices go up -> beef price go up -> the following scenario would likely occur: farmers rush to plant more corn, move from oil based fertilizers to chicken manure or likewise leading to oil prices falling slightly, ranchers rush to sell cattle for beef and corn prices falling heavily due to over supply due to little farm consumption, the beef market becomes flooded and prices drop sharply because demand has dropped off from previous high prices and a new supply surge. Prices then find equilibrium as consumers rush to "low" beef prices.

Will the end result be a high average beef cost? Yes, but will the price be so high as to cause a serious demand or supply shortage...no. I am willing to bet fertilizer prices will drop this summer, because less nitrogen will be needed as this spring and summer will have good rainfall.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
I just posted a thread a month or so ago of how the farming industry has actually DIMINISHED over recent years in terms of people producing crops of food.

Yeah that's because the government has been paying ranchers and farmers for decades to NOT grow crops and NOT raise cattle. They do this so that specific corporative interests are in control of our food supply.

You heard it right: the American farmer and rancher is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to NOT grow crops.

Seeing as I grew up on a ranch, I can say that you're completely full of crap. I think you're thinking of subsidizing, which is the complete opposite really. The government will give you more tax credits if you plant this crop instead of this other crop, so if the government wants to subsidize the ethanol industry they will "pay" farmers to plant corn instead of soy, etc. In some cases the government will actually buy the corn, soy etc, and sell it at a cheaper price to the market to give it a competitive advantage (which is what happens in the ethanol industry). I personally think ethanol is the really stupid idea, and think Hydrogen is the real future. The government is causing inflation by "paying" farmers to plant corn instead of soy and wheat...and seeing as corn rapes the soil because it requires SO much nitrogen (which fertilizers are oil based)...in the end solves nothing at all.
If this is what you were trying to say, then I apologize, but to say the government pays farmers to leave their fields bare is a flat out lie.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalSonicX
reply to post by daddyroo45

WOW. I just did a quick bit of research on the anwar reserve and I must say I'm impressed. we should begin taking advantage of this immediately!

unless there's some sort of catch?

No catch - but what's the point?

That guesstimate of 10.4 billion barrels in ANWR works out to 520 days' supply at our current rate of consumption. But in reality, even if it's there, it won't be produced in a whoosh. Any oil will take years to come on-stream, and will be produced over a period of perhaps 20 years. A reasonable production rate over that time would be one million barrels per day - just 5% of today's 20 Mb/d consumption. Given that our rate of consumption is increasing by 4% to 5% each year, all the possible oil in ANWR would do nothing but help keep pace with demand growth. Helpful, but no panacea.

www.gravmag.com...

America for example is a huge country with a relatively small population. None of its citizens "should ever starve" yet;

www.bread.org...

MBF

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dismanrc

It’s done to keep the “independent” farmer in the market. The family farm is a long gone item and the sooner these people understand that the better.

You can thank us "independent " farmers for your food prices being as low as they have been. If corporations gain control of the majority of food production, you will pay the price they tell you and it will not be cheap.

Now if you want a family farm to feed yourself and your family, go for it. But if you want to make a living from it you better learn to coop or some other form of mass production. The issue is that you have to keep food prices high OR produce large amounts in order to make a profit.

The purpose of a co-op is to buy or sell as a group in order to obtain cheaper prices for the what we buy and a better price for what we sell. A co-op does not cause mass production, we do that already. Like I have said many times before, we receive only a small portion of the price you pay for food in the store.

As long as we keep this “family farm” idea alive the issue will not go away.

Family farms and Factory workers are a hold over from the past.

If corporations ever take over food production, they will not have the caliper of employees that we are that are willing to work the hours that we do in the conditions that we do. Many times I have worked 20 hour days for weeks at the time and have worked 30+hours straight many times. We take pride in the job that we do. Would you want someone growing your food that all they were looking for was sundown and payday? Wait a minute most people don't work the hours that we do!!! They don't give a crap what they spray on the food or may not even know what the chemical will do. We live on this land and we feed our families what we produce. I don't know where you got your information that we are the problem, but you have been misinformed.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
is the food from the indie farmers that keeps the corps from making us pay insane prices.... they are our troops so to speak our plant warriors lol

but honestly, we can wage wars, we can build nukes, we can goto the moon, but we cannot have a fuly functional society?

WAKE THE BLEEP UP PEOPLE!

We are being herded... no matter what the agenda is whether idiots or NWO or aliens lol we are being run into the ground.... what are we gonna do about this? beside become next in line generals of the armchair Text squad?

Any ideas? im not jesus, dont expect these miracles to come outta me... Im just complaing gotta keep my line for armchair general... cant have the up an ups lookin down at me......

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If the US economy collapses as it now appears that it might, food will be money IMO world wide

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This particular topic is being discussed live on Glen Beck right now 12:42 EST. It is a very real possibility based on several factors that add up to one conclusion, food shortage. Scary stuff, even growing a garden is not a full solution, that is only going to help for a short time, and only help the families who are smart enough to do it.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DwnitsDwn
If the US economy collapses as it now appears that it might, food will be money IMO world wide
"I'll trade you a gold coin for that apple you're holding. Come on, please? Okay, two coins then? No? What do you mean you can't eat gold? Have you even tried? Come on, 3 coins then, else I'll just beat you up and take your apple. Hey come back here, I'm not done yet trying to trade you my gold yet."

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Divinorumus]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Join a community garden group. If they are not in your area ;you can start one. Schools and churches are likely to donate land. Only one word of caution, these gardens need protection because theives have been known to steal the harvest of community gardens.

Those who live in apartments or have little yards can start container gardens. Also learn to grow mushrooms. Not only are they medicinal but they are a good source of protein.

In addition to gardening people should relearn wildcrafting skills.There are many weeds which are nutritious. Hunter gatherers derive most of their nutrition from wildcrafting , and the studies indicate that their diets are more nutritious than our own. Wildcrafting is a neat hobby ,and would enable people who do not have land to benefit by our natural resources.

Dandelion leaves are more nutritious than spinache leaves and the flowers can be used to make dandelion wine. I've made salads out of dandelion leaves ; they are delicious. Those who are new to gardening can dig up dandelions and replant them in cantainers. Dandelions are very tolerant of novice gardeners. I can't say enough good things about them.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join