It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Store owner asks to see shoppers' Social Security cards

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

PROVIDENCE — All José Genao planned to do at the heating equipment supply store was buy a spare part for his boiler. While the owner began searching for the part, Genao and his friend began speaking to each other in Spanish. As owner David C. Richardson was ringing up Genao’s $18 purchase, he demanded to see their Social Security cards.

[Richardson grabbed the phone and said, ‘I can call Immigration and Customs Enforcement anytime I see an illegal immigrant,’” said the customer. “He also said, ‘I can make a citizen’s arrest.’” Both customers were US citizens.

This is a lawsuit if I ever seen one. Would Americans ever tie their personal information, health info, etc with currency? Im guessing cyber cash or however you want to call it.

www.projo.com...

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Wow what a racist jerk! I am so sorry this guy has no right to persecute anyone for not speaking English. English is not the "official" language of our country. We live in a "free" Republic where if a person chooses they don't have to speak the predominant language of English.

Just because a person cannot speak English or are from south of the boarder does not automatically mean that they are illegal. Yes there are many illegal immigrants here to this country but it's up to law enforcement to prosecute these lawbreakers individually, not the citizenry to enforce the law.

There are many people that are born in this country that in my opinion cannot speak English. I say IMO because while they are apparently speaking English words, the diction, use and order that they choose to put the words in is far from grammatically correct. Should they be persecuted? Nope

I agree that illegal immigration enforcement needs to be stepped up in this country. However it should not fall on the citizens shoulders to do so. It should be left to those that we the people have given constitutional authority to prosecute and deport people that come into this country illegally.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well, English should be the official language for public and government interaction. In that, a business should be required to be able to do business in english. However, if they can do it in multiple languages, good for them. But if people want to speak a different language amongst themselves, there is and should be nothing wrong with that.

This is why people fear things like the Real ID. It will become a requirement for transactions etc.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I can agree that the predominant language spoken in the United States is indeed English however the freedoms that this country is founded upon prohibit such an English Only law.

They have tried to do this several times in congress and have failed each and every time. It is a shame however it is the right thing that it has failed.

Also privacy laws should prohibit the use of a "Real ID" requirement for every transaction. I could see a single card that is your; ID, Debit Card, Car Keys, House Keys, etc, All in one. But what happens when that ID gets stolen?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I am very big on freedoms and the constitution etc, but what freedom from founding prohibits declaring a language as official and unifying the nation? They already made federal reserve notes the only official currency, to me a language could be the same.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Wolf321]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That man asking for social security numbers was in the wrong,period. On the other hand there are those here that say english is not a national language.For over two hundred years imigrants melded into society by learning the language.The did it for their benefit,the reason being that they would have a common thread with everyone else in the country.They never lost their culture or heritage by learning english.They became a part of the populace instead of being set apart from the populace.Not learning english for an illleagle makes them stand out "like a sore thumb"It sure will make them easier to catch when the time comes.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I don't disagree with the fact that the predominant language in this country is English. I don't disagree with the fact that it probably should be the official language of our country and should be required for all public transactions. I was merely pointing out that it has been tried and it has failed on every occasion so far.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
The best way to have handled this situation would have been to proudly display his Social Security card, pay for his goods, and leave or to just tell the guy to go to hell and leave.

I don't blame him for being offended, but I have to tell you that in this day and age, sales people are the rudest people you're likely to encounter on any given day and you don't have to be hispanic to encounter these outrages.

It's the store owner who jeopardizes his business by such egregious behavior, which I think most people would find offensive.

I have only recently started to patronize a store here that I boycotted for five years because of rude, idiotic employees.

[edit on 2008/3/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Seems like the owners just wanted to bust his you know whats, perhaps an old vendetta or just plain wanted to be an a #. If that ever happened to me, i would flash my social security card and walk out and get my needs elsewhere.
So, we are supposed to SHOW our document someoone can steal to these goobers behind the counter? I think not! Sure, let me show you the number cause i'm stupid and you can get yourself some new credit or you can become me!!!
NOT!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

True, so hispanics absolutely refuse to learn the language. I would suggest to them to learn right quick so they blend in somewhat better in crowds.
Hispanics have got to be the most stubborn people in all humanity!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I speak Spanish when I am around with my husband specially when I am talking about the people around me.

Until this day I have never been asked to show anything than my license when I am paying with check or credit,

If is cash Is not reason for me to show anything.

They can kiss my Latino butt.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

They can kiss my Latino butt.
AMEN SISTER!!! We are all children of God and most of us are here LEGALLY. If its any concern to that idiot who owns the store- his main concern should be to sell the damn stuff and move on with his life, huh?
Instead he wants to play vigilante.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I tell you what if it was me I will tell the store owner to take his merchandise and shove it.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

In my case, it wouldnt be the first time.

I can be a joy to have around and i can also be a devil.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to dg and marg

Now, now ladies. Calm down. Us gringos don't know what you're saying when you don't Habla Ingles.

Would you sell anything to this person?

[edit on 14-3-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Oh, my gosh you are going to get it Js, she is going to give you some latino spat that will leave you gasping for air.

I am glad that my picture that I posted a long long time ago is gone by now.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

She's gonna get you!

As far as the owner goes, by all means he has the right to ask, and he also has the right to suffer the consequences of those actions. I doubt he will be getting as much business in the future.

I already don't like some of the snot-nosed brats that work behind those counters, and if people are rude, I most definitely take my business elsewhere. I am not buying items at your store to be treated poorly.

[edit on 3/14/08 by niteboy82]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I wonder if the shop owner does that to customers that he thinks are illegal aliens, then if they are... he doubles the price. I doubt it had anything to do with him defending America, more like profiting off of someone else's weakness.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
My response to that shop owner would have been:

¡Sir, le demostraré la mina después de que USTED ME DEMUESTRE EL TUYO! Entonces le demostraré otra tarjeta, mi tarjeta de attorney's.

And then I would have organized a nice little, informal, boycott of his business, encouraging todos de mi hermanos to shop elsewhere.

Adios!

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The best way to have handled this situation would have been to proudly display his Social Security card, pay for his goods, and leave or to just tell the guy to go to hell and leave.

[edit on 2008/3/13 by GradyPhilpott]

I work for my state's tax agency. One thing we try to encourage everyone NOT to do is show your Social Security card to anyone not having an Official need to request it!

Hell, we aren't even allowed to include a taxpayer's SSN in an E-mail response to the taxpayer themselves!

In fact, normally, you shouldn't even carry your SS card on your person.
How do you think "illegals" get access to SS numbers in the first place!?

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Bhadhidar]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join