It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Travels Country to Fixe Typo's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Jeff Deck of Boston had seen a lot of misspellings on signs around his city, and one day he decided he just couldn't take it anymore.

The Typo Eradication Advancement League, as they call themselves, use things like adhesive stickers and chalk to make the fixes, all the while keeping a record of their work on Deck's blog at www.jeffdeck.com

Deck's passion for fixing typos dates back to some spelling bee wins in junior high. "It seems that a lot of errors revolve around the apostrophe, that eternally misunderstood punctuation mark," he noted.

www.npr.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm not surprised by the amount of spelling mistakes, and bad grammer I find in every day business emails and even newspapers. The odd spelling mistake is fair enough on the internet, but when you get an email or a letter from a business associate that's basically a page long sentence with no punctuation whatsoever it's unbelievable!
It's ok if you're not good at spelling, but all you have to do is press one simple button and Bill Gates will do it for you.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
OH my goodness. A man after my own heart! I am going to visit that website and offer my services! I understand when we're here on the internet, chatting or typing quickly and a slip up happens. But when I'm seeing typos on official signs, menus, pamphlets, websites....it drives me crazy! These things should be checked, and rechecked by editors to make sure the spelling is correct!

I won't go into grammar mistakes as I suck with that
I am just too anal with spelling mistakes that it's hard to continue reading because I'm so focused on the mistake (yes...I have come to terms with my needing therapy)

Michelle

edit to add: GREAT point Master_Wii. SPELL CHECK! How much easier can it get.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Michelle129]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

Im afraid this man will stay in business for years to come. Its when lolspeak and txtmsg becomes the new dominant written languages for communication. Punctuation, grammar, and spelling will be the things of yesterday.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
You know what the funny part is....they spelled "fix" wrong in their headline
I thought at first you had typed in the headline yourself until I followed the link and realized you probably copy/pasted it. ARGGGH!!

Michelle

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Its when lolspeak and txtmsg becomes the new dominant written languages for communication.

I am not so sure that it's directly related to "lolspeak" (LOL!) itself.
When I first started surfing the internet, there were much fewer LOLs and other weeds around, but the "definatly" (agh...) and such were already there.

Which brings me to "there speak is so cool", "your an illiterate bum" and the latest additions, such as "should of read at least one book in my life"... (On America's Next Top Model - don't ask - one of the competing damsels spelled "etcetera" thusly: EXEDERA.
)

Just shoot me...

(And the funny - ? - thing is, English is not even my mother - or father or seventh cousin twice removed - tongue!)

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Vanitas]

top topics

join