It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the "War on Drugs" worth it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This post is for all the close minded people who believe that drugs should be illegal and that the government is saving lives by conducting this so called “War on Drugs.” Here are eight quick points that should open your eyes to who the true drug dealers are and how many lives they are hurting for no reason.

1) 55% of all inmates in jail/federal prison are NON-violent drug users. (There are over 2.2 million people in jail/federal prison in the United States; therefore 1.21 million people are in jail/federal prison for not hurting anyone!)
2) Out of those 1.21 million serving time for NON-violent crimes, 830,000 were arrested and convicted for having/using Marijuana.
3) It costs $17 million per DAY to keep those 1.21 million NON-violent offenders in jail/federal prison. (Yep, you the tax payers are paying for someone who will never hurt you to be barred from society.)
4) Because of the 1.21 million NON-violent offenders being in jail/federal prison there are over 1.5 million children without one or both parents. (Does that seem fair to a child to take their parents away for a NON-violent crime? What happens to these children? Foster homes?)
5) One of the top five growing industries in the USA, and yes it’s an industry, is the maintenance and construction on jails/federal prisons. ($6.2 billion per year go towards just keeping NON-violent offenders locked up.)
6) Since the beginning of the “War of Drugs” the amount of people in jail/federal prison has grown by an average of 3.4% a year. (In 2007 alone there were 17 prisons built in California compared to just ONE university!)
7) The United States of America has more prisoner than any other country in the world. (The U.S. incarceration rate of 737 per 100,000 people in the highest, followed by 611 in Russia and 547 for St. Kitts and Nevis. In contrast, the incarceration rates in many Western industrial nations range around 100 per 100,000 people.) www.commondreams.org...

This brings me to my final point…..Prescription drugs.

8) In the United States alone, LEGAL prescription drugs, provided by and promoted by the government, kill anywhere from 5%-10% more people a year than all illegal drugs combines do. (The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reported that an estimated 106,000 hospitalized patients die each year from drugs which, by medical standards, are properly prescribed and properly administered. More than two million suffer serious side effects. While illegal drugs kill an estimated 10,000 – 20,000 people per year) articles.mercola.com...

If this post peaked your interest at all please watch the following video…..www.youtube.com...

Thoughts?

"Saying that marijuana is a gateway drug is like claiming that masturbation is the cause of rape."
-William F. Buckley Jr

[edit on 13-3-2008 by tgreen2103]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Worth it for whom? Worth it for the average Joe, I don't think so. Worth it for the government, big Pharma and the prison industrial complex, absolutely.

The war on drugs isn't primarily set up to protect us from anything. It is all about money and it is working like a champ. Prisons are full, monopolies are in tact, all is well.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tgreen2103

Well, with the tone you're taking it's obvious you're going to stick to your position no matter what, but I think we need to have something more than an intellectual echo chamber in here, so here goes.

The War on Drugs IS working...drug abuse is plummeting. Check my link below.

www.law.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I did a post on drugs about a year ago that pretty much summed up my feelings.
Should drugs be Legalizied?

It might be worth reading some of those comments.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Any government is doing all it can (not always wisely) to prevent expansion of drug-addicts. It hurts economy (by reducing available workforce among other factors) and has a negative impact on social structure of society. You can read about Opium wars , when China tried to stop European (mostly British) drug trading in its territory. It was before major pharmacorps and definitely before current US government, so Chinese tried to stop it for different reasons. Like a rapidly growing population of addicts. The fact that China did not succeeded to stop it ,even after two wars, contributed to its temporary decline.
As for more people dying of prescription medicine - a lot more people are using it, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The war on drugs will not work. In order to get people to stop doing drugs, you have to make people happy with their state of being as is, and all I see the government doing is curtailing happiness and freedom of thought and expression, killing mass amounts of people in other countries and here at home, making people unhealthy, forcing people to work dead end low paying miserable jobs until they die of an over worked heart at the age of 45, speading bad news like wildfire, making this beautiful world into an ugly dirty sterilized concrete prison.... numerous other things as well, and all of this makes people very very dissatisfied with just being alive.

So people take drugs to escape to horror of it all, because this prison society is too much for the subconscious mind to take. The conscious mind may get fooled into thinking this is all dandy and good, but we're wild free animals, and our instincts know better than our egos.

What right does the government have to punish people for being unhappy with this mesed up world and wanting to escape???

You ever been to AA? NA? Probation meetings, parole meetings, been around people who are addicted to drugs and just can't seem to escape because they're always getting hauled back to jail, most of them probably for smoking a bit of pot and failing a drug test...???

You ever seen how miserable these people are with their lives? Sure drugs don't help, but neither does punishing somebody for being in extreme emotional distress and wanting it to stop.

Go back to bed America, your government is winning the War On YOU.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

Can you prove the War on Drugs will not work with something other than your own beliefs?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It's not easy being addicted to drugs, man. People should not have to pay for the rest of their lives for being curious.

And as for "Oh well it hurts the economy, breaks down society, blah blah..." , that's kind of a heartless thought, don't you think?

Is the economy more important to you than the sancity of life and the right of all people to try and be happy in this uncomfortable skin we exist in?

I sure hope not. The economy can rot in hell forever if it costs the ones I love happiness and freedom. It does every second I sit here. I say let's burn the mother down anyway.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Should sober people have to pay the social costs of those who can't deal with reality? Should they have to pay their emergency room costs? What about intoxicated individuals who hurt or kill people from intoxicated driving?

No, the War on Drugs is truly a war against a very real enemy.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

It's not my belief that everyone should have a fair chance, and that believing that America and the economy as these big faceless machinations of society, are more important than human life and happiness and caring and understanding.

That's a fact. I can say that's a fact, because if the economy killed your mother because she worked two jobs and still couldn't pay her bills so she hung herself because she felt like a failure to her family, and the War on Drugs caused your brother to be locked up in jail with murderers who rape him in the ass every day, try being so heartless and cold. Drug user are people, too. No better than you or I or Donald Trump or Nancy Reagan.

What if I said I used drugs? I seem like a decent guy, I hope. Do I deserve to be stuck in prison, defenseless against the gangs and the rape and the violence that I didn't ask for, just because I wanna go somplace else for a little while?

This is not an issue of economic stability or social acceptance. This is about having empathy for other people who make little mistakes.

Empathy. Not ecomony or how much we cherish this great mighty super perfect awesome society that you seem to think doesn't deserve to be scrapped like garbage anyway....

but empathy.... your paycheck, along with your ability to get convenient service all the time, can kiss my ass.

I understand your reasoning, but it's just too cold of logic for me to appreciate.

EDIT: I don't mean to assault you personally, just your reasoning, and I just wanna say that your reasoning is kinda messed up. Don't worry, lots of good people have messed up reasoning these days. I live with messed up reasoning 24-7. It sucks, but that's the way people choose to think... and I bite my tounge most of the time, so sorry if I let loose on you.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Addiction to drugs is happiness and freedom in your opinion? I agree that government should not fight the addicts , it should fight dealers and its bosses, but no action at all will mean that number of addicts will grow.
And since it is a tragedy multiplying itself, it has to be constantly fought against. I feel for people who have to live with addiction, but it does not mean that i will agree to letting it spread.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I don't think the idea of calling off the war on drugs is going to get us vary far. There are some drugs that are extremely dangerous and the government dose need to make an effort to stop these drugs from coming into or being move within the country. The use of certain drugs destroys friendships, family's and drags down society as a whole. Many drugs will make you happy for a period of time but when it comes to addiction a lot of problems arise.

Now what could be done is, we could define what illegal drugs should be made legal. Marijuana for example many people feel is a drug that should be made legal. Others don't feel that same way. There are even debates about how marijuana came to be illegal and if that had more political motivation than just because it is a harmful drug.

The whole war on drugs is not going to stop. Your going to have to breaking things down to each type of drugs and talk about each one individually. I think that's your best bet. There is just too much of a difference between marijuana and speed. Or things like E, it's going to be hard to defend a drug that teenagers like to get their hands on and roll their days away.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tgreen2103

The "War on Drugs" was created to help fund the Contras and their revolution. We (the CIA) sold drugs in the U.S. to fund their efforts overseas. After much unwanted attention on the topic they simply changed the tune...now it's the "War on Terrorism". All of the money which comes from the drug industries is then used to fund operations in the Middle East. Why do you think Afghanistan is now the world leader in opium production, when before we invaded they had virtually nothing to do with it? We moved in right in time to harvest the crops (2001). Hell, you can watch footage and see pictures of troops guarding opium fields over there with workers doing their own thing around them, and no one engages. Who do you think set that up? The government has it's hands in drug money and we have become so dependent on it that we cannot give it up. To shut down the enormous machine (rehab, detention centers, prisons, etc.) that is making money hand over fist from the drug war would not be an option for the government. Our economy depends on it now, because we have forced ourselves into that position.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Always a topic that needs to be thrown at our policy makers

A trillion dollar war (in the US alone) that, like any war, has brought incomprehensible and unmeasurable suffering to the inhabitants of plannet earth.

And like all wars, we the people are paying for the insanity BIG TIME

Down here in Adelaide they just had this big V8 car race right in the center of town - the noise pollution descends on all living thing within a 10 Km radius, NOs CO CO2 HCs are spewed into the atmosphere for our children to breath. Fossil fuels are used up. The drivers, public and emergency personnel are put at risk of extreme injury, 1 person dead (several injured),"hoon" driving encouraged resulting in more deaths - a 500 ton carbon footprint and, go figure the drivers are HEROES!

WTF -and I allegedly am not permitted to sit in my own house and smoke a joint!

Don't get me wrong I like to like to watch some motor sport occasionally - but in't there a HUGE DISCREPANCY here?

Here are some good links - please pass them on

stopthedrugwar.org...
stopthedrugwar.org...

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

This war is about to end

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I could not agree more with you say that the government is "curtailing happiness and freedom of thought and expression." This statment may be may be one of the best descriptions of American society right now.

chromatico -
as for your statement, it is obvious that drug abuse is declining, but I questions the governments tactics on getting drug abuse to decline. I believe it is declining because so many people are afraid to lose years off of their life for getting caught smoking a j or for snorting a line. I believe there is a better way to educate people on the effects of drugs and how they can harm your body without making it illegal. And I also believe that if someone knows these harmful things that drugs can do to your body, and they still want to use them, who is the government to say what one person can do with their mind, body, and life? One more question, and i know its very generic but i still have not got an answer i can understand, but if drugs are illegal because they are harmful to a person, than why aren't cigarettes and alcohol illegal?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The Quiet Professional

I suppose that it might be true,but why other countries are also banning drugs? Here it is a miny-war too, in vast majority of Europe it is also happening, even in Holland it is as openly allowed as it used to be.
So the conspiracy angle is not the only reason. Once again i will bring as an example of no-war reality - Opium wars - what happened to China when it was unaible to stop the flow of opium:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Personally, I think that drugs should become legalized and heavily regulated. If people want to use heroin and ruin their bodies and lives, that's fine. They have to use in a secured facility and can't leave until they're sober again. Oh, and of course it will he heavily, ridiculously taxed to put funds into the parts of society which actually deserve it. People's bodies are their own to improve or ruin as they see fit. If they rob someonoe for money to buy drugs then they'll wind up in prison anyway - I don't think anyone's arguing that people shouldn't go to prison for theft. So who cares about them? Take their money and better society with it.

Of course this will never happen. I agree with the fellow who said that the War on Drugs is working just fine for the Government and investors in the Prison Industrial Complex.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

So people should just wasted out of their minds on all kinds of vile substances, neglect their kids, drive intoxicated out of their minds, and go insane? And all this should be legal?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

never once did sc2099 say that he thought people should take drugs and neglect their kids, drive intoxicated, or anything like that. I believe he was simply saying that it is a persons god giving right to do with his/her body as he/she sees fit. And sc2099 then went on to say that if someone does feel they want to ruin their own body they should be in a safe facility and not be able to leave until they are sober. Which if they did this no one would be in danger of someone whos intoxicated injurying others.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Put it this way, police have to have crime so society needs police. So the police like the idea of a drug war, although the governments ship the drugs in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join