It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Tom CLancy Racist against mexicans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
seems like its a growing theme in his video games.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter: Fight Mexicans

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter: Fight mexicans trying to terrorize US border

Splinter Cell: Double Agent: Fight against Mexicans on a cruise boat

Rainbow Six Vegas: Fight mexican terrorists in Vegas

Rainbow Six Vegas 2: Fight mexican terrorists in mexico and vegas.

Why is this a theme, and why is nobody offended?

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Never realized that until now. that's pretty stupid if he is.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think he just must really hate mexicans or something.

That or he thinks the future of war will be against mexico.

Which would be odd.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, let's face it. Mexico would be a lot nicer of a country without the Mexicans.

Ever been there? It's one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and it has been absolutely decimated by pollution from it's own inhabitants.

It's hard to believe sometimes that there is a third-world country just a stones throw away.

A country with that much beauty and natural resources should flourish.

Instead it drowns in it's own feces.

Personally, I think that it's just Clancy's future perspective. But maybe we'll eventually go to war with Mexico after the dems shut-down NAFTA, we build a bigger wall, stop the drug trade, and stop letting illegals send US currency to thier homeland.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I mean, clancys usually never wrong.

I just wonder why he picked mexico. I doubt they really would attack us, would they?

What kindof situation would occur?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Holygamer

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? Nobody can truly predict the future, but if you look at the past, you can get an idea of what kind of "things" willl play a part in the future.

Eventually, maybe in your lifetime maybe not, there will be tension between the US and Mexico. It is enevitable. This is the foundation for Clancy's hypothetical situation.

Everyone wants something, at sometime, but if they don't get it, what do they do?

Well, when you are the government of one country, you cut off the head of the snake before it bites you. Or, if you are the government of the other country, you attack the mongoose while it is still asleep.

There are no other options.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Look at his other games that involved other nationalities, especially against Russians or North Koreans. I guess he's racist against them as well.

But I guess the chracter Ding Chavez considered a hero would debunk the racist theory anyways.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Well ding chavez was a gang banger in the Barrio of California before he was scooped up by the "proud white americans" in the military and sculpted him into a model killing machine.

So no, it reinforces my theory.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

A gangbanger turned military speaking Russian, Japanese as well as English and Spanish banging John Clark's daughter who is white. Very good successful story. Interracial is a no no.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holygamer
seems like its a growing theme in his video games.

I have to agree with Kaiser Sohse on the point that eventually tensions between the United States and Mexico will rise to a point where warfare is a possibility. Between the open border, the illegal immigration, NAFTA, the North American Union, and drug smuggling, there's a lot of potential sources for conflict.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter: Fight Mexicans

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter: Fight mexicans trying to terrorize US border

In both of those games the US is actually fighting Mexican rebels and is assisting the legitimate Mexican government. One part of the game even involves saving the Mexican president. Consider that some of Clancy's novels involve fighting the legitimate governments of the Soviet Union (Red Storm Rising, and Red Rabbit), the Russian Federation (the Sum of All Fears, the Cardinal in the Kremlin) Japan (Debt of Honor), Iran (Executive Orders), and China (SSN: Strategies for Submarine Warfare, and the Bear and the Dragon).

Splinter Cell: Double Agent: Fight against Mexicans on a cruise boat

In case you hadn't payed any attention to the game when you made this theory, those Mexicans were the good guys. In that level you're a double agent working for a terrorist organization attempting to nuke a cruise liner, the Mexicans that you fight are anti-terrorism units trying to stop the terrorist organization you're working for.

Rainbow Six Vegas: Fight mexican terrorists in Vegas

Rainbow Six Vegas 2: Fight mexican terrorists in mexico and vegas.

Play the Sum of All Fears game. In that one you'll fight Americans, Israeli's, Germans, South Africans, and more. Look at how much of his work involves fighting Middle Eastern terrorists and/or Russian terrorists. Considering that pretty much every other ethnic group in the world has been featured as opponents in Clancy's work I don't see the issue with featuring a couple of bad apples from Mexico. Hell, the North Koreans have their legitimate government being portrayed as enemies all the time.

Well ding chavez was a gang banger in the Barrio of California before he was scooped up by the "proud white americans" in the military and sculpted him into a model killing machine.

So no, it reinforces my theory.

Domingo Chavez for starters isn't a Mexican, he was born in Los Angeles so he'd be a natural born citizen. Chavez is a career soldier, so his involvement in the military is voluntary, meaning that it's not as if he was scooped up by any white military. He came from a rough background and decided to make the most of his life, something that thousands of people of all races in this country do every year. And if Clancy really was a racist then shouldn't it be a white guy in charge of Rainbow Six? If Clancy was actually a racist then he would've probably had Chavez do something treacherous or fail his team, something that Ding Chavez isn't exactly known for.

Why is this a theme, and why is nobody offended?

Because there is no underlying racial agenda. If we're going to base accusations of racism on an author featuring a particular group as opponents in a video game then that means Clancy hates the following;

1. the Russians
  2. the Germans
  3. the Chinese
  4. the Japanese
  5. the Columbians
  6. the Peruvians
  7. the North Koreans
  8. the South Africans
  9. the Israeli's
  10. the Arabs
  11. the Persians
  12. the Indians
  13. the Vietnamese
  14. the Bulgarians
  15. the Swiss
  16. the Canadians
  17. and last but not least the Americans. In fact, there's been more American villains than any other group I believe.

And that's not even a complete list.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This is the difficult part of writing the type of fiction (lets not forget that) that he writes. You have to pick someone to be the bad guy. America is past the made up enemy plot(Spector Cobra Organization etc).

Clancy is smart too. It is difficult to pick the North Koreans over and over again, because they aren't much of a threat. In the words of physicist Lawrence M. Krauss (I actually just had a conversation with the man after his lecture) "Our not working missile defense system is perfect for containing the the non-existent threat North Korea faces us with." Use a dud to stop a dud.

Clancy sees other countries like Mexico and the new Russia as more of a threat, as well as corporate terrorism.

edit: Grammatical errors

[edit on 1-4-2008 by DINSTAAR]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiser Sohse
Well, let's face it. Mexico would be a lot nicer of a country without the Mexicans.

This is the most racist comment I've ever seen in BTS! I am not Mexican, but I do have relatives from there. I guess you would want Mexico to be full of Americans right?

You go on my ignore list.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller

Originally posted by Kaiser Sohse

This is the most racist comment I've ever seen in BTS! I am not Mexican, but I do have relatives from there. I guess you would want Mexico to be full of Americans right?

You go on my ignore list.

Indeed Jango fett will not be pleased!

Kaiser you just got put on an intergalactic hit list!

MonKey

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Using the same logic, wouldn't America be a wonderful place without all the Americans. I mean, it would all look like an environmentalists wet dream.

A country with that much beauty and natural resources should flourish.

Keep in mind that it is also a country divided by social castes that have been around for years. Old money is the only money, and this is just beginning to change. Obviously, you make your statements without much knowledge of their history and country all-together.

top topics

join