It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Injured friend. Cherish your good health

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
One of my 'Net biking buddies has had a string of bad luck.

Broken hip, messed up the pin job, hip replacement that went bad, blood clot
to lung, and some pretty dicey times getting back on the indoor trainer.

Today when I heard from him, it was even scarier:

It came out of the blue last week. On Tuesday I sat down at the computer after dinner to file the day's sales transactions. I looked at the screen and felt lost. I couldn't understand how to do a simple task I'd performed daily for nearly seven years. I had to stop for fear I'd mess things up. I went to bed, and then everything was normal again the next morning.

Three days later I was walking across the parking lot after physical therapy. I felt myself tilting to the right but couldn't regain balance. Three steps later I was sprawled on the trunk of a parked car. It must have looked comical. I was disoriented as I gingerly made my way to the van 50 steps away. I was able to drive home and felt fine by the time I got there.

Were these "mini strokes," a variation of the blood clot that had gone to his lung in January? Dr. ordered tests as soon as he heard from him on Monday morning. He's expecting to hear the results today.

Maybe there will be good news for a change -- nothing significant, nothing to worry about. After all, I'm already on the blood-thinning drug (Coumadin) that would be prescribed for stroke prevention. Maybe my wobble in the parking lot was a brief bonk caused by that morning's PT workout. Maybe my confusion at the computer was due to the glass of wine with dinner.

He's amazingly upbeat.

Or maybe these were the first signs of Alzheimer's. Just kidding! Nobody's luck could be that bad, could it?

I'm probably more freaked out than he seems to be. Wish he hadn't driven home.

I won't hear back from him on his blog until next Thursday. Let's hope they don't find anything. Prior to this - he's 61 - he was riding 70 miles/day and riding cross country.

Again, I don't know him personally, just feel like I do from contacts and emails.

This one just reached through the computer and grabbed my heart like a cold spectre.

Just goes to show - you never know. Live every day 100%.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It really does bring it home when these types of things happen. Thanks for sharing and we will all send our positive thoughts his way and yours too. Lots of people looking but no one posting , so I figured I would. Keep us posted and hopefully next week will bring better news of your friend.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
It really does bring it home when these types of things happen. Thanks for sharing and we will all send our positive thoughts his way and yours too.

The cycling community is rather close-knit. We all feel each other's trials and successes, and vulnerabilities.

Having said that there's great strength as well.

That's very kind of you to offer good vibes.

(nice Avatar!)

[edit on 13-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Biking/Cycling as in Motorcyling?

This is fairly disturbing and I'd like to hear the rest of the story, I hope this person is OK.

This is hitting close to home for me, because I just sold my car for a motorcycle... Well I call it that to stop the confusion because if I say scooter, most people assume I mean some 50cc toy. I'm trying to ride a 500cc Maxi, after all it has to replace my car.

I'm being lectured constantly about the dangers of it so stories like this are a bit painful for me to read as they're very real possibilities for me too.

I don't know though, what do I do?

Live a sheltered life where I do nothing I want? Where I only drive when absolutely neccessary in the safest vehicle possible? Or do I go out and enjoy my life? Do I ride a scooter knowing full well that I may be injured, but enjoy it immensely none the less?

There's no right answer here. What some people would call being safe, I would call not living a life at all.

*Sigh* It's a complex issue...

Please do update us on the status of this guy!

new topics

top topics

join